Sharing a port?

Silver Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 258
I just started making a new sub box and i was just wondering if thier was any downfall of having the two type R's share a port. They are being run off of the same mono amp. I am asking because i need to save the space.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8649
no drawback as long as the port is large enough to eliminate port whistle.
best way to do it is use a slot port that runs all the way across teh box, and is tuned taking both subs into account with the full enclosure volume

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 395
air I don't see any significant ones.. but that's just me.. as long as it's a big ol port ;).

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 189
"best way to do it is use a slot port that runs all the way across teh box, and is tuned taking both subs into account with the full enclosure volume"

Not sure if you meant to have the port turn inside the box, but if this enclosure is being built for SPL purposes then you're not giong to want to have any turns in your port. A straight port is the best way to go if you'll be competing, which i'm sure wasn't the intent of your enclosure, however I just wanted to clear that up if that was the case.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8653
if he's saving space, he's not an SPL competitor
heh

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 191
"if he's saving space, he's not an SPL competitor
heh"

lol, true..wasn't even paying attention.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 543
just curious how many db would u lose on a curved port, if a strait one was to give u ..say exactly 3 db

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8669
probably a decibel or so.. the bend or turn affects port velocity.
Much the same way it hinders airflow when you turn corners on an air intake for an engine.
That's why CAI and piping for turbos and intercoolers take long sweeping mandril bends when possible, instead of shorter, sharper bends to save space.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us