Electonical question

Silver Member
Username: Jb502

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 181
I have a 2000 ford f-250, what would it take to put out a constant 14.4 volts. It puts out 14.1 now, but when the bass hits it drops. When it is up loud it drops as low as 12. On average it drops down to about 13.1. I want to put out 14.4 all the time so i can get max power from my amp. What would this require me to do.

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 388
get a seperate battery..?

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 182
Is thta the only way? do I need a high output alternator, or battery or both, i have no idea, you put a question mark after your answer, so it doesn't look like you do either. I need someone who really knows about this stuff for a definite answer. I have decided that this WILL be my next upgrade, just need to know how to do it.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3300
You need a high output alternator. The battery isn't supplying the power when your car is running, the alt is. Even if you do have a HO alt though, your still never gonna have a constant 14.4 volts with your system running. It's still gonna dip down with bass hits, it just won't be as bad.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8651
contact www.excessiveamperage.com
you need a highoutput alternator.
ask if they can build you one that puts out 14.4VDC even at idle.
tell them you need 200A or larger.. dunno what you're running.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8652
oh wait yes I do.
yeah a 200 or 240A would be plenty for you

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 190
An extra battery will actually keep voltage up with the car on so long as you can keep the extra batt.charged. This obviously isn't the best way to do it, but is a cheaper route and can be done effectively if you know what you're doing. If you've got the money to spend, get a nice HO alt.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8657
the problem with that statement lays in the fact that the alternator is what charges the battery as well as what powers the audio system while the car is running.
this is why the alternator voltage should always be higher than the battery voltage. the forward bias puts the battery into a charge state.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 192
But what would the problem be with running two batts? When your voltage drops, it means the alt. can't keep up and that's when you pull from your battery. More batt's give you more reserve which woudl help keeping voltage up..correct?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8670
the problem is when you overstress teh alternator you end up destroying it.

unless you like buying new alternators every 6 months or so, you're better off getting one that isn't going to be run at 100% output or worse.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 812
juston,

An alt is your best bet...look at 4alterstart.com. (they will prolly have the best prices)

also upgrade your big-3 to at least 4ga (0ga would be better).

What amp(s) are you running?

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 183
I have an Alpine mrd-m1005. I also have a little alpine, I forget the exact model number, something like a t-220, there smalles amp. Just a little 50 watt x 2 amp. I have 4 guage running from my battery to the extended cap of my truck, then like a foot before the amps i have a distrubuition block. It has a 4 guage input and 2 8 guage outputs that go to my two amps. I know the t-220 is pulling that much power, but the mrd-m1005 is. It also puts out its power at 14.4 volts, which is why i am going to upgrade. What is my big 3? If i don't need another batter i would prefer not to have one, as i don't really have anywhere to put it. If A high output alternator is the way to go then good, because i would rather do that anyway. I went to the site that glasswolf recommended, and filled out a form for a price quote. I haven't gotten anything back yet, but it hasn't even been 8 hours yet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us