How can i tell if my amp is clipping

Silver Member
Username: Jb502

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 166
I can turn up my radio to a certain point, then it just doesn't get any louder. Some songs, it is so loud that i don't want to turn it up any louder, but on some, i want to turn it up more, but it doesn't get any louder. I need to know if i am making the amp clip when i go past the point of it not getting any louder. Is there a tool i can buy to tell me.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8543
the tool to look for clipping is called an oscilloscope. you'd also want a DMM that reads true-RMS and has non-inductive leads.

it may be you're just reaching the limits of that system.
what are you running?

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 168
oh, come on, i am the one who makes everyone mad by talking about all my alpine stuff all the time. Just incase you don't remember

CDA-9855
mrd-m1005
2 12 inch type r's

I know what an oscilloscope is, but how would i go about hooking it up to the amp.
I don't know what a dmm is. But i would like to have one if it reads the true rms of the amp. How much are those, and where could i find one.
Any special oscilloscope that you recomend.

I can only get the volume on my headunit to 19 before it doesn't get any louder. But i have my gain too high. The HU claims a 4 vold preout. I have my amp set at 1.5.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8548
then you probably are clipping the amplifier.. badly.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 553
If it doesn't get any louder and you keep turning it up...... uhhgggg.... I can't even imagine how bad that sounds!! Ultra clippage bro! :-)

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 170
thats the thing, it doesn't sound bad, at all, how do i hook up the oscilloscope to the amp to tell if it is clipping?

Bronze Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 98
How much do an oscilloscope/DMM cost usually? Or are there places that have them that I could just use/rent or something?

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 242
this one costs more than your car. But you could probably get one for less than a grand. Any college that has an engineering department will have a bunch. Makes things much cheaper. But since you're a Mechanical Design Engineer, you should have plenty of access to a scope...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D7532388274&category=10424 7%26

Number: 7532388274

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 171
that link doesn't work, anyone else know of a one cheaper than a grand

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 249
sorry, it works for me, and anyway, i put the item number at the bottom of the post. There are plenty of scopes on ebay that can be had for under a grand.

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 172
yeah that one is 12 thousand dollars, you telling me i can't get one for like 100 bucks.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8557
I think it's odd you're a ME and you've never even seen an oscope.. lol

that's kinda scary

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3703
Juston, go visit your local electronic store. They should have some that are around $100.
Scope is a beautiful thing, if you work with electronics.
It's like the x-ray machine for the doctors. Let's them "see" what's going on.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8559
www.bcae1.com has plenty of info on how to use a scope by the way.
even has pictures.

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 173
thanks glasswolf, that is a great link

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8562
that site sells a CD for like $49 I think, on amplifier repair

that CD is priceless for using a scope to read an amplifier
well worth the money.. hint hint

you can get teh whole site on CD with test tone discs as well, very cheaply.
I have it myself. The author, Perry, is a great guy. The site is worth supporting

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 174
i may have to get that, because i want my sytem set up right, first i have to find a descent scope, for a descent price. I read how to tell when it is clipping and how to tell how much power it is putting out. If i do this shoud i use a regulated power supply, or should i use my trucks power. Also what size of resistory would you use?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8576
check ebay for a scope. lots of used ones go there a lot cheaper tahn new.
20MHz is all you need for this stuff. nothing too fancy.

a 40A or 50A regulated PS on ebay can be had for $100 or less as well. They aren't anything fancy either but they do the job. just remember, use their continuous power ratings, not the peak ratings for a power supply. they love to list peak ratings.

you'll want a non inductivedummy load for amp testing, and it needs to be able to dissipate the ehat you put into it from teh amp.
you can use a bank of power resistors, or more simply take an old hair dryer apart and unwind the element in it. (wound, it's inductive) and trim it to the resistance you need.
that'll do the job if it's attached to adequate heat sink material to spread the heat out.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3710
Already done that GlassWolf. I supported him 6 months ago. Probably bought the CD when he first made it. The amp repair is a great one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us