The local audio shop...

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 244
I asked a guy at the local audio shop a question. I have 2 12" sony Xplod's, running 175wrms to each, if I upgraded to 2 12" Kicker CVR12's would I notice a difference in sound quality and a little bass/SPL? He said not at all, I have heard many people say I would... I know that 175wrms to each isn't alot but I like my Alpine amp and my car can't handle much more anyways so I definately want to keep it. Would there be a difference in the subs? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3704
in SQ the kickers are gonna have it over the sony's all day. I have heard many people say the sony's get loud, but I have never brought myself to listen to them. I really cant help you out there except for the fact that I have heard the kickers many times and they are their best sub in my opinion. Not to mention the reliability issue is much better with the kickers then the sony's.

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 346
yea kickers will definitly get bang for the buck and have more sq then those sonys. I just hooked up a 4 10" sonys in my friends ride and his old 15" compvr will eat all four alive and only taking 120ish watts.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 245
so it probably will get deeper/louder as well? And also, "sound quality" is such a general term, what exactly will the difference be? More musicality, accuracy etc.?

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 347
Sq refers to how good it goes with the music and the accuracy of it to an extent.. the reason for sq i because the term spl means.. the pressure of the sound.. more air movements , etc. James will probably tell you a much for indepth meaning but that gives a brief overview I think :P. Chris, I have a setup for both spl and sq we'll have to meet sometime and i'll show ya lol. Ky all the way.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3695
Don't expect a miracle. It won't happen. With bass, the difference might be small but to a trained ear, it's night and day.
For example, almost all cheap subs will play decent for frequencies around 65Hz - 120Hz. This is where most RAP music falls into.
Now if you popped in a concert quality CD, it'll sound like a dog in heat.
If you're after SPL or noise, then Sony will do great.
If however, SQ is important to you, then invest in a good sub. Kicker is okay, but there are other brands that are much better. If you don't mind upgrading every year or so, then go ahead.
If I were you, I'd save up and get one great sub. That way you're done.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8538
a lot of this depends on other factors.
if you want ideal performance, get the CVR12s and put them in a proper slot vented enclosure tuned to about 34Hz like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5790934180&category=50568 %26%26
(not sure what that box is tuned to though)

get a pair of dual 2 ohm coil models of the subs.
that'll give you a final load of 2 ohms mono
then give each sub 300-400 watts. a cheap amp like a JBL bp600.1 would do the job just fine.

you'll be in love.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 246
I am going to try to explain this in simple terms... The Sony's are alright when the bass lines (either in rap, metal, or rock) are simple. Boom, boom boom, boom, boom boom etc. It can hit those clear and accurate... But when the bass lines get complex and you add in bass guitar etc. it sounds like... like... well crap. Suggestions? lol. Btw, I am going to line the trunk with peel and seal so that will help a little.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8539
go to ebay and search the electronics section for "dual 12" slot box" and you get a ton of cheap enclosures listed.
easy way to get a good box
just email the seller and ask the tuned freq if its not listed

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 247
anyone? Also, I have a prefab ported box (or so I think, all I know is it is ported). Would that MAYBE work for the CVR's? I don't know how to check to see what it is tuned to etc., also the box isn't in 100% condition, its in maybe 90% (i had to add a little reinforcement if you might say).

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 248
the ports are 2 and 3/4 inch wide if that helps... I would prefer to stay sealed though if possible (I have a nice sealed box). I would trade my Alpine MRP-350 and my ported box for any class D amp that is about 600-800wrms and draws less than 60amps from the car :-) just incase anyone wants to.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 249
anyone?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us