Username: Homsardude

Post Number: 1
The other day I was thinking to myself:
"Wouldn't it be great if I could listen to CDs in my car?"
Then, I thought to myself:
"Wow, I bet a 10" sub would really add that missing sound to my car stereo"
Immediately after that I thought:
"Well...I can't have a sub and then have terrible speakers"
So basically my intial desire to be able to play CDs has quickly expanded into a search for a whole system...Regardless, I really don't have the first clue about car stereos. All I know is I need something cheap that sounds decent. I bought some 3-way Pioneer speakers that I liked the sound of (for cheap). Now I need to find a 10" sub, an amp, and a head unit...

What do you recommend? I haven't been able to find any constructive advice so far. Sub-wise I was thinking about:

Alpine SWR-1042D 10" Sub
Alpine MRP-M350

Do that sub and amp match up ok? I don't really understand if I should get a 2 channel or a mono, just that many people use mono class D. Sorry to be so noob but I haven't been able find answers to any of these questions directly elsewhere.

Also, right now I am looking for a head unit that will read CD-Rs, play MP3s, and has good outputs to go to an amp. I don't need anything too fancy.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated. Please no responses like "yo man get da sonys. dey freakin rule and r gr8."

Post Number: 2
Oops forgot...what kind of enclosure for rock / metal mainly? I've heard ported works great for that, but am not sure. Thanks everyone!

Unregistered guest
go to thes web sites and you will be able to find sum cheap stuff that are good, subs, amps, head unites, screens and more, glad i could help
http://cardiscountstereos.com/
http://www.a1discountcaraudio.com/
and also try www.ebay.com they got sum god stuff 2

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2665
The type R is a great budget sub, the Alpine amp isn't the best... a little overrated/overpriced, but still not bad.
How much money do you want to spend, and do you have any preference on brand of Head Unit?

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely check those sites out. Any comments on the sub and amp I mentioned?

Post Number: 4
Not too picky on brand. I'ld like to stay right around $200 for sub and amp, and that alpine sub and amp fit in that budget (off eBay of course). Head unit I'd prefer to stay around $100 for. Maybe more if it's really worth it.

Unregistered guest
i just started with the car systems my self so no i dont know much, a little but not much

GPAC
Unregistered guest
Hey, Panasonic makes some nice, fairly cheap Head units, I had a cq-3300U in my old car that played nice, CD-R, mp3, I am fairly new to car audio as well, but I feel that was a good head unit for a budget.

GPAC
Unregistered guest
Hey, Panasonic makes some nice Head units for fairly cheap. I had a cq-3300U in my last car that was nice, they did some restyling on their HUs this year, I dont like them as much, but that one was nice for a budget...and always remember eBay!

Bronze Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 79
for me personally, i think JVC's can give you some of the best bang for you rbuck
havent ever had a problem with theres
trying searching for their older line on ebay
the line before the arsenal HU's came out
those work awesome
i'd reccomend the Cerwin Vega V-Max as a sub also
a 12" DVC will do decent for your type and for 100 bucks i think they're a great deal
plus they run at 300rms
which is enough to leave plenty of juice in ur battery and a cheaper amp

Post Number: 5
Any suggestions on what amp? If I was to get the Alpine R Type what would be a good match for it?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2672
The new Type R, or the last years R? The new R's are 500 watts rms.

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 697
pioneer premier i find to be good HU's. Many of my friends have them. You can get a couple of their models around 100 bucks.

Post Number: 6
Has the model number changed on the type Rs since the new ones have more wattage? I am looking at the SWR-1024D. I believe that is this year's model but could be wrong. I'm assuming that since they are DVC that it is 250 watts rms per coil? Which I think means I need an amp that can push 500w x 1 @ 2 ohms if I want to max out the subs. Don't laugh at me (too hard) if I am completely wrong here...:-)

I have done some research and found the DEH-3700MP which seems to be a good HU for a very good price. I'm also contemplating the DEH-7700MP which looks way cooler and has a few more features, such as high-pass crossover and sub crossover which (if I understand correctly) will be nice to have. It's a bit more pricey though. Thoughts?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2675
If you're willing to spend the cash... its well worth it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us