Need Help with BOX Design / Eclipse 15 Ti ported enclosure ?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1732
Ok so its going in a sedan trunk of a toyota solara and here are the dimensions i have to work with.

15 1/2"-16"H x 42"W x 30"D

Here is what Eclipse Tech emailed me with:

We recommend a 4.75 cuft box with a port of 15"W x 3"H x 18'' L

Thank you

Eclipse Tech. Group

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8467
you've got a depth of 30" and they want an 18" port length. that'll fit easily

you have a surface area for the face of the enclosure if you fire the sub into the trunk (toward the rear) of 16x42"
They want 15x3"

I'd run the port down one side of the box, with the sub off-center to the (driver) side.
your port can be the height of the box @ 15", and " across, giving you the other 38" or so of box for the 15" sub.

that should fit easily.. then just make a face board for the box that fits the shape of your trunk, so the box makes a false wall in the back of the car and you'll have a sweet looking enclosure that's msotly stealth.. aside from the big slot and the sub itself.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1738
thanks glass, im gonna have phil over at woodlawncabintry build this box. Just wanted to get an idea before i submit it for building.

Yes im gonna have the sub firing towards the rear of the trunk with the port opposite the drivers side like you said and have the sub off center closer to the driver with the 38" left over for the sub.

By the way, what is the freq of the port ?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8491
I didn't calculate it. I read through so many threads here, if I stop to do that, I lose all my new post flags lol

by the way after you get Phil there to build the box.. tell him I helped you design it. That guy is an assmonkey. We got into an argument on another forum about enclosure materials and all he could do is resort to childish name-calling.

At that point I gave up even bothering, and no longer send anyone to that place for work.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1747
Well, thats pretty silly. I will be sure to tell him that GlassWolf helped me design it. lol

He built me a ported box for a 12w6v2 and it came out very nice. I wonder what triggered you guys to argue. Oh well. Thanks again

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8517
someone asked about using birch for a sub enclosure because he wanted something lighter than MDF for a sportcar, to save weight.

I suggested using fiberglass instead, as birch thick enough to work well would not save much if any weight, and birch works well for full range home cabinets, but not as well for low frequency/sub enclosures due to it's natural resonance.

Phil then jumped in and told me what a moron I am, how I don't know anything, and how the kid never mentioned fiberglass and I should just STFU and he could use bich, blah blah blah

then the kid backed down and said weight didn't matter that much after all, and the argument went on from there. Phil was trying to look impressive to show off, and everybody on the forum worships him like he's got a c*nt, so after listening to a bunch of idiots who can't even build a speaker box try to tell me that Phil knows more than I could ever hope to learn, I told them to have fun in their blissful ignorance, and left the forum altogether.

Phil struck me as a pompous @$$hole and after that point I really had no more interest in giving him work or clients.

I don't really care if he can grow a maple tree out of his wazoo and build an 8th order box from it. I think he needs to grow up and learn how to treat potential customers and people who give him a lot of business he probably never even realized he was getting by way of someone else.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1754
I didnt hear about him until i checked out www.bcae.com i believe. It has recommended this website woodlawncabinetry.com on there and i checked him out. I paid $100 plus $25 shipping for the 12w6v2 ported box he built me.

Do you build boxes glass ?

Unless i can find someone else ill probably have phil build me the Eclipse Ti ported box.

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 343
yea i'd gladly pay glass to build me a box if he does :P.. knowing it'd be done right for sures :P.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1755
How about it Glasswolf ?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8541
couldn't really do it with shipping and make it affordable. I don't have a commercial contract with UPS for ground shipping so I'd pay a fortune to send something that size.

go with Phil.. it's cool. If you're happy with that box he built ya last time, then you'll like the new one just as well, and that's what counts.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1760
Yeah cause i think your in the midwest and shipping is expensive. Im in the east coast maryland to be exact and Phil is in PA so shipping is much easiar with him. Thanks anyways man. Wish you were local, i whould pay you to install my whole system and take pictures.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us