Several questions...

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 217
Question #1. I want to cheaply keep my trunk from rattling, I heard you can buy stuff at home depot or stores like it... How much will it cost and will it work?

Question #2. I have a prefab sealed box, would adding polyfill/pillow stuffing help? I know it is supposed to make the box seem "bigger" but what, if anything will I notice? And how much is it and where to get it?

Question #3. I have 175WRMS going to 2 Sony Xplods, from most people's opinions I would get a deeper, more accurate, better sound from upgrading to 2 2ohms 12" '05 kicker cvr12's. The power is going to stay the same, I like my Alpine MRP-350. A guy at the local audio shop that I wouldn't be able to tell much difference between the subs... Is this true?

Thanks for your help!

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 588
Sony Xplods are big POS!!! You would have much better subs with the Kickers. The guy at the local shop must not have any clue what he was even talking about because those CVR's are a great budget sub, and many recommend them on here.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 218
would I notice a major difference even with a slight lack of power?

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 503
probably not in SPL but in sound quality you will notice a huge difference...example: a friend of mine has 2 sony subs and i had a pair of infinity subs...our amps put out around the same power but his seemed a little bit louder...idk if it was the fact that he has a pickup truck and i had mine in a galant(4door car) well to get to the point his subs couldnt hit any lows at all when compared to mines..mine were hitting every note hsi sh!t dont even go with the beat their doing their own thing

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 219
what about the other 2 questions?

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 504
duct tape can stop trunk rattling...lol it actually helps a little bit

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8353
#1 peel and seal. its cheap. it'll help.
apply with a heat gun for a good adhesion and clean surfaces well before applying.

#2 won't help unless the box is too small to egin with

#3 get the CVRs, and give each sub about 300-400 watts. Get another Alpine amp and put one on each sub.
that'll make all the difference in the world

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 220
Due to many reasons, getting another amplifier is just not an option. My alt can't handle more, parents won't let me, lack of money are just a few. Would I still notice a difference with the CVR's even with 175rms to each?

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 308
do u have to have 2 cvr's cause why not just get one 12 or 15 and give it 350 watts, i gurantee u will notice a sq difference and probaly a little bit louder to.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 221
I don't want to get rid of my box... Could I just do 1 12" and have the other box slot just open for nothing? (there are 2 chambers). WOuld there be a major difference between 2 12's with 175 apeice and 1 12 with 350? Thanks for your help

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 597
You will have to wire it at different ohms.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 310
so ur going to use to same box for the cvr's that the sonys were in? idk if one 12 will be louder probaly not dues to less surface area, but thats just my opinion.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 222
So overall, I want as loud/deep as possible and as good quality as possible. Would 2 CVR's with 175wrms be better than 1 CVR with 350wrms (12")? Would it be a major difference from the Sony's either way?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3646
well by cutting the power in half you lower the db output by an average of about 3db's which is the same as adding another sub with the same amount of power. If you were to run two subs 2 with 175/piece or 1-with 350 then they would sound pretty cloase to eachother as long as the sub can handle that power.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 223
would I notice a major upgrade going from the Sony's to the Kickers and if so in what areas? Thanks for the help, btw.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3648
yes the SQ with the kickers will be much better. the crv's are the only good sub Kicker makes IMO.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3649
not only will it sound better but you will have better reliability,better SQ and it will be louder as well. SONY subs are garbage! comparable to audiobahn.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 224
any other opinions on either 2 subs with 175wrms or 1 with 350? The guy at the local audio store said that I wouldn't notice a difference between 2 Sony's with 175watts apeice or 2 Kicker's with 175watts

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8399
go one CVR with 350 watts.
much better option.
you don't 'need' two subs
you'd be surprised what one good sub with ample power can do

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 231
where can I get peel and seal, how much is it, and how much do i need?

Silver Member
Username: Jb502

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 155
subfanatic told me that he hit like 146 db's with two sony's, he said they were better than my type r's, i personnaly don't like sony's, but according to subfanic they can get loud.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8433
peel and seal. home depot.
call for pricing.
it's the ice shield underlayment for roofing.

you need enough to line whatever you're sound deadening.. at least one layer.. possibly up to three. depends how well you want to do it.
start with one roll.

Username: Eddiebeltoe

Post Number: 10
so to put peel and seel u have to take apart your trunk and put it everywhere lol or u have to put it like on the trunk lid or something?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8445
you need to gut the entire interior of the car if you really want to do it right
line the floorboards, ceiling, door panels, trunk, and trunk lid, and firewall with the stuff.. material to metal. then replace all the carpeting, seats, headliner, etc.

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 124
oh my god!
that's alot of work!!!
Glasswolf, what about just deadening the trunk?
Take away that exterior layer of metal, line the lid, replace the exterior layer, and line it too?

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
what I'm refering to is the way that the trunk lid looks likes 2 layers of metal, you know?

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Chris:
I know that you can buy polyfill at Wal-mart. If I remember right, it cost like $7 - $12 for a BIG OL' bag! You'll have enough left over to stuff your favorite chair a little, too.
lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Chris:
Glasswolf (post#8353) was definately right, though. BUT, just to answer your question, in case you still need it... go to the fabric section near the lady who cuts the stuff by the yard.
(I'm so happy to be helping!!! lol)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8473
you can do shortcuts, although not AS effective, still a big help.

just layer the inside of the trunk, inlcuding the trunk lid.
use expanding foam to get areas you can't mat due to inaccessibility, but use it sparingly.. it really does expand, and it can break things if ya spray in too much.
line your car door panels. those are easy to remove and replce.

skip the floor, but consider taking a weekend sometime and pulling out the ceiling liner to do that when you get time. that's one of the largest pieces of poorly reinforced sheetmetal in the car.. and it rattles a lot.

that'll help deaden the car quite a bit doing the above.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Thanks, Glasswolf. I appreciate that advise. I have a convertible, so the ceiling won't be a problem. But, the bumper/license plate area in the rear is a BIG one! Can I put that stuff directly to the inside of the figerglass/plastic style body molding - or do we use something else for stuff like that? Thanks again!!!

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8591
expanding foam works.
I use windshield sealant (black gummy stuf) for license plates.
a ball or two of that stuff sticks the plate to the car body like glue.
its like a sticky playdoh

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
awesome!
Think we all could find stuff like that at AutoZone or Checker... or do we need to search a more "professional" type place - like windshield places?

About the foam: get under the car, and spray it in the huge wide open areas or what? Does the foam STICK to open areas like that?

As always, thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us