Polyfill-Sealed

xp2800R
Unregistered guest
Hey, Ive got a comp vr (10") (go figure, along with nearly everyone else in the world), and about a 1.2 ft^3 box. I was just wondering if there was any particular kind of polyfill that works best with subs...or will cheap-o wal-mart pillow poly work fine?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3629
Get it from Walmart for $8. Use 1 lb of pollyfill for every cu ft of space.
Make sure they are either glued or stapled inside the box.

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 131
I read alot of differnet articles on this subject and I found that some people say staple or glue but even more just say stuff it in there using the 1 lb. per cubic foot method. So what I did was line the sides and bottom with edead to help stop vibrations, then used 3m super 77 spray adhesive to coat the whole inside of the box minus my spring cup terminal :P and then lined the sides with polyfill 1" sheets that i found at michaels arts and crafts. I then stuffed my 1.5 cu ft. box with 1 lb. of pollyfill batting found at the same place. I also noticed that because my sub was bolted to a carpeted box that ever time i pushed on the cone when sealed it would move alot , so air was escaping under the mounting rim between sub and carpet(this is what i get using a q-logic prefabbed box). So i used 150 temp. black modeling clay and ran a small bead around the bottom of my sub's mounting rim and bolted it back in place,thus creating an airtight seal.Now i cant move my sub's cone at all practically. I cant believe the sound difference it made, way cleaner for a 15" and its even louder now too. In my application it made a night and day difference.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3647
Congradulations. It's not easy making an air tight box for 15" subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Supraspyder420

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 52
Ok sorry this is probably a stupid question, but did you cover teh sides and bottm of the box with edead? or the sides and bottom of the car? because it sounds like you lined the box, but wouldnt that screw up the sound?

me= newb, have mercy lol

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 325
it's okay to put it inside the box...it will actually make it sound better because the speaker itself causes resonance...a wave from the speaker goes forward and backward, not just forward. That wave bounces around in the box and eventually finds its way back to the speaker. This is bad because then it mixes the notes (bad sound quality)...putting a deadener down inside the box may make it a tad less loud but much better sound quality.

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 132
i lined the inside of the box with edead,then polyfill sheets and finally polyfill batting. and in my case since i had also made it airtight it was louder too :-) ....In addition to that i have my whole blazer minus the roof covered with edead.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us