Pink Noise

Bronze Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 20
i've seen you can d/l a pink noise sample at realmofexcursion.com, what's it for?

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 879
I have no idea what it sounds like but just like all other "samples" (if you want to call them that) on realmofexcursion there for testing purposes.

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 293
I think its for testing the frequency range of your components or something like that.

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 274
I agree juelz, I use it for that now.. lol.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8306
pink noise is a tone generated using a c-weighted curve from 20Hz-20KHz with the same power applied to the entire frequency range.
it sounds liek static, but on an RTA you can graph the frequency response of your car, and see where you need to EQ the curve in order to get a "flat" c-weihted response for SQ competitions.

C-weighting means the sound curve isn't truly "flat" (A-weighted) but instead is "flat" in regards to human hearing. In other words, a c-weighted curve "sounds" like it's flat to the human ear, compensating for the fact that our hearing is less sensitive at higher and lower frequencies, and peaks in sensitivity around 5000Hz

Bronze Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 23
damn, thats really cool. this is where some tight equalizers come in handy, huh? man, there are some smart people out there. is there a b-weighted curve? i really love this whole concept. Im guessing an RTA is some sort of freq band monitor... someday i'll be getting some kappa perfect components, until then, pink noise will have to wait...

lol, the word p|mp isn't allowed on the forum!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8320
www.audiocontrol.com look in mobile processors, under special applications. they list a 3053 model RTA. RTA is real-time analyzer.
yes it's a graphic spectrum display that shows 30 bands at 1/3 octave intervals from 20Hz to 20KHz along with levels for each band and peak-hold functions, so you can see where there are spikes or sags in the response of your system and environment using the pink noise signal.
Then to compensate for those problems, you'd use a corresponding parametric or 1/3 octave EQ to tweak the response of the system to make up for the car's environment.

it's a bit of work, and usually done by an experienced pro at a shop, but if you want the most natural sounding, transparent system, that's pretty much the way it's done.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us