Kicker 05 CVR12,

livinLoud
Unregistered guest
thinking of having 2 of these installed in a sealed box, each with their own enclosure.

What ft^3 should each be in for a really good bass? I listen to rock and R&B.

Not enough confidence to build a ported box hence my decision to go sealed.

Also would my 400RMS x 1 @2ohm amplifier be ok?

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 873
It depends on what amp its going to be, what voice coil setup the subs will have, what the RMS on the subs is.

livinLoud
Unregistered guest
kicker KX400.1 and 2 x dual 2ohm VC. Think the subs takes 400RMS each. Anymore suggestion?

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 302
get a bigger amp, my suggestion would be to sell that one and use that money to purchase a bigger amp(800wrms)make sure it will be stable at the ohm configuration you make

livinLoud
Unregistered guest
ok, what about the sealed enclosure for each sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 61
port them.. find a ported box sounds much better.. had to help a friend config a ported for those and it sounded great-- better than what i though-- also u could prob up to a near 100wrms amp beacsue he is pushing it through a hifonics amp thats putting out about that much..

if you need the dimensions we used i could prob give them to u.. id have to llok for them though

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
1000wrms***** correction

livinLoud
Unregistered guest
yeah, that would be great LEgacy. I would love to build it to your specs if you find it to be better than it being sealed. I like my bass tight and hard not boomy and low..low.

Does each sub has to have it's own ported enclosure or 1 ported enclosure for two coz' Kicker's site only showed 1 port for 1 sub. Hhmmm..

Thanks dude

Bronze Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 63
i would port each section of the sub like dual chambered with its own port... but wont ported give you a more boomy effect... im gonna do this same setup havent got my subs or box yet but im getting the dual 4omh ones running each on 2ohm.. on a audiobahn a8002t amp. then i might either get a sealed or a ported enclosure i havent really decided yet though i also listen to alot of rock/punk/scremo music (white people music) lol . whichenclosure will do me better?

livinLoud
Unregistered guest
i dunno..i'm still deciding. to build a smaller sealed box (my box now's 1.2cu^ft) or go ported like what Legacy says. YEah and i thought Ported box are boomier. They go louder too but no point going louder when I can't seem to get that hard KICK that makes one heart wanna jump outta the rib cage.

Mayb unless we are suppose to port it to a certain frequency. I dunno really. Still need help here. Or could my underpowering my sub make my sub sound boomy? dang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
how much room do u have to work with??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
shawn go sealed-- also with cvr's dual enclosure with a double port is very unneccesary-- thast for like jl and other high end products-- unless ur trying to start a new fad-- but most likely not--

livin just tell me ur trunk space and how much room u owuld like to ahve or what kind of car u ahve and i should be able to get the sizes

livinLoud
Unregistered guest
It's a 96' Toyota Corolla. I prolly have about 38" (width), 17" (depth) & 14.5" (height) to play with as i would like to have some room left in the trunk.

Y is that u've advised Shawn to go sealed but me have to go ported? What freq. would it be tuned to? Heard that 35hz is good. Can a sealed box be tuned?

tks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
number 1 shawn is going to be using a audiobahn amp which will put out very lower wattage despite what it says-- also he prefers rock/punk music which is very very high chords on guitars and stuff whereas hip hop/rap has a lot of bass through drumb kits

guitars=less bass
drums=more bass

thats why i suggested a sealed box for him-- also the only true reason to port CVR's is if you have 15in version... thast the only true reason i could se them being ported-- but nonetheless i still think 12's would sound good

im not sure how to tune a sealed box -- i know a ported box is tuned determining how long the port is-- u need a calculator program to figure it out

for my 15in subs (not CVR's) i ahve them tuned with a 22in port-- 14in back 8in right REverse L shape

ill get dimensions for u i gotta find them though give me a bit

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
here are the dimensions that you should use

34.5in (width) x 14in (height) x 16in (depth)

subs~26 inches with 2 inches inbetween the two + an inch on each side-- your port would be on the left side -- it would be 3 in wide by 12.5 in tall

your depth would be 16 inches-- make your port wall 13in back then hook it right another 8.5-9 inches-- this should work out

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
so what kind of amp should i use with two kicker comp vr 12's? also will it be better or sound worse if i put them in a sealed or ported enclosure? i have a 99 chevy z24 cavalier.. i would go with 15's but i dunno if they will give the punch and bass i want...

livinLoud
Unregistered guest
those dimensions given, r they internal or external LEgacy? And i suppose i should be using 3/4" MDF eh. Btw what freq. is that box tuned to? Should i poly fill it or leave it as it is after caulking the inside airtight?

Rectangular ports r harder to build can't i make do with one of those 3" round ports (firing out from one side)? hehe

Thanks LEgacy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
so will the audiobahn amp be good to use for me? also is the sealed box going to require me to stuff it with polyfill.. and will the bass sound sloppy if i use a ported box tuned to 35hz? dual slot ported type. and would you say i need a stronger amp or?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us