RockFord Fosgate 1200 Shuts OFF help !

Username: Incubus

Post Number: 1
I have a 1200 watts RockFord Fosgate AMP and two 12" 1800 watts 4ohms each Power Acoustik Subs, the whole system is brand new. After working for about 30 minutes it usually shuts off (the AMP) and is hot like an iron, i cant even touch it.
Oh yah I bridged both speakers on amp , could that be a problem? HELP PLEASE ;)

Anonymous

just dont bridge it!!!

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 231
Yeah, that's the problem, thermal overload of the amp. What model of amp do you have?

Post Number: 2
Hey thanks for your help so far ! It is Rockford Fosgate Power 401S , 1200 watts amp. I want to unhook the amp and hook it straight up but right now I cant find the keys to do that! So I'll post the new one as soon as i rehook the amp !

Bronze Member
Username: Thespotlight

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 43
1200 watts? I hate to burst you bubble but the 401S is at the most 400w @ 4ohms. If you had 2 DVC subs you could bridge them together but since you don't you will have to suffer and wire them each on their own channel. That means you'll only be putting 200 watts.

If I were you just bridge one of them onto the amp and you'll get 400 watts. Then buy another amp for the other sub.

Post Number: 4
Well that is what it says on the box 401S, but on the amp itself it says 1200 Watts. I understand that this is peak. Maybe I should just get a 2400 Watts AMP? I think 1200 is enough for the way it sounds , I am not really trying to shake the whole neighborhood.

Post Number: 5
Plus I had a 980 Watts Power Acoustic amp before this one and on the BestBuy.com in specs it says that it actually puts out more power then the 401S (the one i have now)! So that confused me even more.

Anonymous

that rockford amp is a 400 watt amp....

get something like a KX1200.1 or a JBL BP1200.1
you can get the JBL for about $300

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 236
When comparing amplifiers always go by the RMS rating concerning power. The power acoustic probably was rated as 2400w, but really only probably put out 250 per channel realistically, whereas the RF said 1200w, but only really put out 200 per channel, that is why the spec sheet said the Power Acoustic put out more power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us