12 W7 or Kicker 12 X

Username: Jrx

Post Number: 10
Which is a better sub with high SPL? The 12 W7 or the new Kicker Solo X 12inch. I can get the kicker 12 for 215 new and I have 2 12 W7's already I just dont know if it would be worth selling to get 2 Kickers with 2 2500.1 amps. I can get that amp for 450. I would get the 2 ohm version of the 12X and 1 amp per. What would have a higher SPL. I want it to be almost loud enough to blow windows. :-) My W7's are pushed with an Orion 2500D. Any recommendations..thanx

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 744
Keep the W7's. Them kickers have horrible sound quality and they break easily. I actually saw a shattered cone a few weeks ago of one of them subs. Guy I think ran 4000 watts to it in a big ported box. Just totally destroyed it. Keep them W7's and put them in a ported box. I've always been a big fan of kicker but them solo x's are just not really all that great. I read on hear someone else was hoping that kicker comes out with a really nice round sub that is really loud and sounds good. I'm hoping they do the same too. lol

Silver Member
Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 260
jrx, where can you get the 12 x that cheap..?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2610
Lol no joke, and can you maybe slip a few people afew for that price???
The W7's are awsome subs, but if you don't care about sq, then go with the Kicker... if you want it to sound good, W7.

Silver Member

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 266
jrx, still waiting to know where you get those at.. lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I got a buddy who works at circuit city and gets 70% off all kicker and mtx sh!t. So what i was gonna do is buy a bunch of sh!t and sell it on ebay or something and make enough to pay off new stuff for me. He can put in 1 order per year but it can be any amount no questions asked. Talk about sweet...70% off :-)

Username: Premier1

Post Number: 1
I am the installations manager for a car audio shop and we have carried both Kicker & JL. We eventually dropped JL for various reasons. We still have Kicker. What we have experienced is that the JL does have great SQ. They deliver pretty good in the spl department too. BUT... the Solo X's deliver as well. All of you that say the Solo's arent good for SQ are crazy!(Im speaking of the 10" & 12" versions...NOT the 18") Maybe the systems you've been listening to havent been properly assembled or tweaked. Do the research... Kicker has won MANY SQ comps with the Solo X. They are great subs because they CAN combine SQ with SPL...something very few companies have been able to do in the past. Pound for pound, in their proper respective enclosures, with proper power,upgraded power supply and properly tweaked...Solo X equals the W7 in SQ and outperforms in SPL by impressive margins. Dont get me wrong, both are great products, but the Solo X just has that edge. Also, someone somewhere mentioned something about the X's having stress points; well no kidding! ALL subs (including round) have stress points ...the entire surrounds! Kickers surrounds are stitched, and I promise you, it makes a difference. The corners of the square subs have the same strength has the flat sides. The surround is evenly distributed so there's NO POINT WEAKER THAN THE OTHER. And as far as the X's lasting... I have never seen one returned. I've seen the L5 & L7 come back in, but every one has been due to under powering them, killing the voice coils with distortion.

Silver Member

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 278
underpowering doesn't cause that much harm, but if you seem to really differ with my opinion.. talk to my L5s.. 3 going at 125 watts for a few years now.

k thx. not to mention my various rockfords etc.

Silver Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 172
arnt those solo X's like 100 lbs. if u had a pair of them in ur cars trunk u might be sitten a lil low

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2620
Hmmmm, 70% off? How much would a brand new 12L7 run?

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 189
square subs just look stupid a speaker isn't supposed to look boxy its supposed to be a circle thats my opinion...lol...i bet an re mt would be louder and maintain better sq...for a cheaper price...

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 623
I personally wouldnt get either one of the subs, i would get MT's if you wan just SPL. But between the 2 i would say stick with the JL's. Like everyone has said too many issues with the Solo X's build quality.

I agree with you Michael, i too think that square subs look stupid.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
1 S12L7 is about 120 before taxes. I've heard that the 12SoloX has a much better spl rating than the W7's. I just want it to be so loud that it shakes your chest crazy. I just don't know if its worth selling all my stuff and buying all new kicker stuff. I would break even if I sold all my stuff and bought 2 2500.1 kicker amps, and 2 12 inch Solo X's. I've heard that 4 12L7's were almost as loud as 2 12 solo X. I just don't want to regret it. I really want it loud. I know my JL's have good sound quality but the solo x's have better SQ than the L7's so i just dont know. I've never heard a Solo X hooked up. I wish i have...any advice is great..thanx guys

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 626
I highly doubt that the solo's have better sq then the L7's. have you heard the two of them??? Have you read all the reveiws and whatnot for them both???

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2636
Michael... A RE MT would cost more than what he says he can get the X for... so he would be better off going with it.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 422
Premier Sales: welcome to the forums. Guess I'm the only one that's gonna play nice? Never used Kicker, I'm a hardcore Eclipse guy :D.

Bronze Member
Username: Maxil223

Post Number: 19
is it even possible, with a 70% discount to only be in the $200.00 range? I know they sell the L7 for 400. On the website, circuit city doesnt even carry the SOLO X. The cheapest I could find the solo x was about $1,000.00 and that was using froogle.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
They dont sell the kicker solo x in the stores because no body has the money. They have this thing called roadshop where they can order whatever they want from the manufacturer. Thats how we can get the solo x. BTW I have 2 12L7's so I do know what they sound like. Whatever the cost is from the store we knock off 70%. I know the L7's have great SPL but I've also heard that 2 solo 12 inch were louder than 4 L7 12's.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4547
ok guys, this is a dumb forum, its obvious, jl IS better quality all around than kicker, they WILL have better sound quality, will not be louder. thats all you need to know,

Premier Sales.
The kicker solox/l7/l5 do have stress points in the corners of the square shape, prove to me that they dont, because with every single oneof those subs i have toyed with i have applied maybe 250 watts rms to them MROE than they should have and i end up tearing JUST THE CORNERS, hmmmmmm sounds like a weak point tome, and what do you mean sticthed in? that doesnt matterif the surround is sticthed to the cone, its the surround itsself that tears, doesnt seperate. Also the ONLY way you were beating JL in sq is if you were running the jl with a boss audio amp at volume 35 and the kicker solo x 2 1000/1s at volume 13. otherwise, it just doesnt happen man

waiting
Unregistered guest
i have 2 l5 15 for about 1 year now running 2 jl 1000/1 to each and no tare no tare why are they not braking i want to up grade but not untill i destory my old one its some rule i made up. they are poted maybe that why they dont brake but i will keep trying you think 1000 watts a sub is cool?

Silver Member

Post Number: 460
Just because you've had it for a year, doesn't mean anything. I run my system ALL the time, and I had a Jensen 12" in a Wal-Mart sealed box for about three years, and it just kept going and going... but I never ran it... Only on rare occasions when I wanted SQ.

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
BTW: it's for sale. Five bucks and it's yours. :D

Post Number: 2
Subfanatic, obviously you didn't read my post. I said that we have EQUALED JL in SQ (which isn't easy to do) with the Solo X, NOT beat it. JL is a great company with great products, dont get me wrong. BUT, we HAVE outperformed JL in SPL with Kicker, hands down, easily done. AND, if Kikcer sucks in the SQ area, why did Gary Biggs & Mark Eldridge win all those sound-offs, including Nationals, in SQ using Kicker? And why did Team Gates use Kicker Solo's for so long? It's more about the installer and their ability & experience to put together a great sounding system(Most of the equipment comes from the same place anyway...China or Korea). There's a LOT of good stuff out there and everyone has their opinion. But to say that Kicker in no way can equal or better JL is an absolute rediculous statement. And, according to Kicker, the surround has no problem. If you'll notice, the corners are ribbed, adding strength to equally distribute the stress points, which ALL subs have. I've NEVER seen the corners torn on a Solo X. But if you have, then I believe it, no problem. BUT, have you ever seen a round subs surround torn? Of course, we all have. We're not in a perfect world, and things happens. But it doesn't ONLY happen to square subs. C'mon man, be realistic.
And Jake, I'm with you... I'm a hardcore Eclipse guy too... for their source units. Great stuff! And Justin... you're right, underpowering isn't that bad if the subs have a good efficiency rating...AND if you know what you're doing. BUT I've seen more subs ruined because of distortion and someone hammering a good sub with 150 watts, pushing the amp to its limits. It's always better to have too much than too little. You can always turn the gains down, which is where they should be for the most part anyway.
Take care guys!

Silver Member

Post Number: 561
Remember guys: everyone has an opinion :D. It's the same with cars. Ford vs Chevy has been around a long long time. Me, I'm a hard core Chevy guy. Never been beat by a Ford in my Camaro :D. Did get my @ss kicked by a Viper once though...

Bronze Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 68
vipers are pieces of sh1t-- corvette would rap3 it so dont get down on ur self-- who owuld pay 80g's for a car that cant even put out 500 horses?

Bronze Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 69
in a street race my evo would make that snake look like fish out of water

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4318
I don't really find the W7 to be the best SQ driver anyway. If Kicker can equal it, good for them, I'll go with an ID Max or a Brahma for SQ purposes :-)

"AND, if Kikcer sucks in the SQ area, why did Gary Biggs & Mark Eldridge win all those sound-offs, including Nationals, in SQ using Kicker?"

The way that they used them is actually a slap in the face to the SQ of the L7s and Solo X's. Gary Biggs and Mark Eldridge have used square solos as a PART of their competition cars, but they crossed them over so low that their only intended contribution was SPL and not SQ, both of them used front (round, BTW) subwoofer drivers to handle the music spectrum, with L7s in the back to take care of SPL and super low bass duties. The human ear doesn't percieve distortion as well as frequency gets lower, and they took advantage of that.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3277
Wow. Just because you don't like Vipers their automatically a p.o.s? Your definitely intelligent. It's not my favorite car, and I'd take a Corvette over it, but it's still a well built American made car.

(BTW Dodge pickups own anything Chevy or Ford can make, who even cares about the Viper)

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 351
Unless your evo has LOTS under the hood...you would be wiping the dirt off your windshield from being behind a viper at full throttle

Post Number: 4
I agree Jonathan, If I were competing in SQ, I'd probably choose an Eclipse sub over Kicker personally. JL and Kicker are both great companies, but you're right, there are a lot of woofers out there that can dog them both in SQ. And yeah, Mark Eldridge did use rounds up front, but they carried upper bass frequencies. But they were still Kickers. But you're absolutely right about the Solos being crossed over VERY low. But doing that is just being a very smart installer/system designer. I do the same in my own vehicle with a Solo X12. Good talking with ya! Take care!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4322
Yeah, I wasn't arguing that Kicker was bad for SQ in general, I just don't prefer the L7 for it, keep in mind I'm not an SPL freak by any means, though. Their older Solobarics (round ones) and many previous subs were excellent in the SQ arena, they've seemed to given that up a bit for SPL purposes, and not all attributed to the square cone, but also the motor, BL curve of the driver, suspension design and Q values, and so forth. Just not the best overall SQ designed driver, it has the suspension and motor of an SPL sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Does the Solo X 12 have a big noticeable difference in the SPL and how loud they are. Basically is the Solo X 12 a lot louder than the 12W7..not better sq but is it louder and will it shake your car more?

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
yes...more surface area...more power handling...a magnet that is the size of a human head...that thing was built for putting out serious decibals...only if you can put the power to it...the 12" handles 2500 rms and 5000 max...i wouldn't get it unless you could put AT LEAST 1500 rms to it

Silver Member

Post Number: 611
Viper? Corvette? I've raced both with my 1982 Z-28 Camaro, and the only thing that beat me was a guy with a 2001 yellow Viper, bored, heads, exhaust, chip, and twin turbos. I have a 396 CI turbo with around 700 horses, and a 6 speed manual tranny... and some tires and locking diff to back it all up.

Who cares about a stock car? Anyone can "buy" a car, or make payments, and bolt sh!t on. But a REAL racer builds his car. :D Just my .02.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4331
Who compares their modded car to stockers? :D A Honda Accord "could" outrun your car with generous modification, but that's definately something you don't want to admit I'm sure :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 613
Gererous? Do you think those cars on Fast and the Furious are that fast? To run 10's in that kind of a car takes TONS of money. And I mean a lot. You're better off buying a Viper/Corvette and modding it. You'll be farther ahead on money, and they're cooler :D. And those cars arn't daily drivers. They don't make very many runs down the strip before their pulling the engine out for a rebuild. They're running high compression, and TONS of boost. And most even run nitros oxide. Engines don't last that long with that kind of abuse...

Bronze Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 70
Jake your right why try and make a car thats not ment for speed a speed demon. I have a Galant and obviously it's not a race car if I really wanted a fast car when i can afford it i'll buy a fast car. I think it would be stupid to try and make a normal car fast.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4338
Never did I say I liked Honda Accords (that's the reason I was poking fun at you with them, it's more insulting to lose to one :-)) I don't feel they're worth the effort either, but they "could" outrun you with enough money spent. I didn't give a specific figure as the cost is ungodly to hit 10s in them, but it's not impossible. But say Mr. Accord spends thousands on his car and claim's it's superiority to say, a bone-stock Camaro, or Corvette, whatever, would you consider it fair? By the time you put AFR heads, Edelbrock intakes, Comp Cams, Hooker Headers, Barry Grant carbs, and other aftermarket odds and ends, is it really Ford vs. Chevy anymore? I'm just saying a stock Corvette or Viper vs. a heavily modded car intended for drag is a pretty unfair comparison. I built a 67 Mustang with a 427 SOHC engine years back, making 800+hp and running 10s. It could easily wax a Corvette, Viper, AC Cobra, McLaren F1, pretty much any stock car in the 1/4 mile. But it's kind of unfair for me to compare to them as the cars are intended for more than just a pass at the strip. Plus my car was near undrivable on the street.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4339
"BTW Dodge pickups own anything Chevy or Ford can make, who even cares about the Viper"

In what category?

Interior: Ford
Chassis Strength: Ford
Safety: Ford
Reliability: Ford
Horsepower: Dodge
Torque: Dodge
Low End Torque: Ford
Towing Capacity: Ford
Payload Capacity: Ford
Bed Height: Ford
Ride Quality: Ford
Fuel Economy: Chevy
Turning Radius: Ford

I buy trucks, not motors :-).

Silver Member

Post Number: 428
don't forget that stock cars like the mclaren f1 aren't just muscle cars...they also have handling abilities that allow them to take 90 degree turns at 40 mph smoothly...the driver feel, i'm sure, is absolutely ridiculous...comparing a stock car and modded cars is not even...the only fair comparisons are where equal money was spent or drag racing on TV where you can do anything you want...if you have too much horse, you spin the wheels, lose control, and lose time ne way...

Silver Member

Post Number: 632
Jonathan: you have a point. But I still LOVE to roll up in a my Camaro, which is MUCH less than a Viper, and own him!!! The looks on their faces is priceless... And I'm a Chevy guy, then Dodge... and after that... nah.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3357
"BTW Dodge pickups own anything Chevy or Ford can make, who even cares about the Viper"

In what category?

Interior: Ford
Chassis Strength: Ford
Safety: Ford
Reliability: Ford
Horsepower: Dodge
Torque: Dodge
Low End Torque: Ford
Towing Capacity: Ford
Payload Capacity: Ford
Bed Height: Ford
Ride Quality: Ford
Fuel Economy: Chevy
Turning Radius: Ford

I buy trucks, not motors "

Ha, I knew that'd get a stir out of you. I really meant diesels though, it's hard to beat a dodge with a Cummins. As for gas, Dodge still has the Hemi anways, though I'm not a super huge fan of them.

Btw, where'd you get the winners for those catagories from? Are they your personal opinions? I really can't say Chevy belongs in the Fuel Economy category, their gas pickups are pretty good fuel wh0res.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4341
Most magazines, like Motor Trend, have given their reviews on trucks and the results are pretty much across the board as far as statistics. All listed above except interior and ride quality are provable, though. Fuel Economy is based on EPA ratings, but really any full size truck you get is a gas hog anyway, I wouldn't really choose a truck on gas mileage since they all suck anyway, and are so close to each other that 1mpg is the most you could really hope for. Diesels, I'll give that one to the Cummins quite easily. Rankings on interior and ride quality are opinionated, but most people are leaning to the F-150 for interior quality and class, even the Museum of Modern Art has it on display. Looks like it belongs in a luxury car, very good riding truck. Really, out of all the trucks, GM's are the ones I'm most disappointed with. Their truck division has gone down the crapper.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us