Acrylic Box, Where?

Bronze Member
Username: Donshiv

Post Number: 15
Does anyone know where I can get a cheap Acrylic 15" 3.5cubic,ft.air ported sub box? I need 2 ports 4"x15". Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8252
no.
lexan for a speaker box that is subjected to the pressures exerted by the speaker needs to be at least 3/4" thick.
That stuff is over a grand for a 4x8' sheet.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 857
lol, I can i get that stuff for basically free.

Silver Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 119
You can get Lexen for next to nothing BassMan?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 863
If lexen is the same thing as plexiglass then yeah.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 864
Oh John you can order stuff from http://www.gatelyaudio.com/

Silver Member

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 121
Lexan is bulletproof glass basically P.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 867
No, Lexan is basically just really thick plexiglass. Needs to be at least 3 inches if i remember to be bullet proof ill have to talk with my step dad about that. Why on earth would anyone need that for a box tho?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 868
wait, guy asked for acrylic, Glass said lexan, acrylic and plexiglass is the same thing so ha. lol

Silver Member

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 122
I always heard that stuff was bulletproof maybe that was just to get you to buy it lol. But anyway if you can get I may need some not much just enough to do some amp covers and stuff.

Silver Member

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 127
In reallity they arent exactly the same thing they are made from different materials so to say they are the same is wrong actually. Lexan is a polycarbonate and plexi is acrylic. They have different stregths but other then that they are similar. I found these pages good read if ya wanna find out the differences are http://www.sdplastics.com/polycarb.html and http://www.rplastics.com/plexintro.html

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8270
lexan can be bent in half without breaking. plexi is too brittle fo rthat. different materials.
lexan is more scratch resistant as well, and better suited for enclosures.
it has to be .75 to 1" thick to withstand the forces exerted by the subs without flexing, because if the enclosure panels flex, that alters the volume of the enclosure and causes coloration of the sound. If you can get 1" lexan for free, I'd be happy to take a dozen sheets of it off of your hands. I'd even give ya $20/sheet for it!

the prefab bandpass boxes you see at BestBuy have 1/4" plexi windows, but if you read the sticker on those boxes, it says, "not for use with high output speakers" which means pretty much anything over 100dB. Anything putting pressure on that plexiglass is going to blow it out of the box.
Not to mention most of those cheap enclosures aren't tuned for the speakers you put in them, and they're made of cheap, thin particle board.

no offense intended, Mike, but umm..
Full Name: BassManMIke
Years of A/V Experience: Bout half a year :p (know more then you do)
Your Car: cant drive for another 2 months

I've been doing this professionally for well, about as long as you've been breathing air. I've build lexan enclosures for show cars, and I'm very aware of what materials are required for the enclosure to work properly. I'm afraid I'm going to have to question that part about you knowing more than me. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Donshiv

Post Number: 16
Hey Glass if you get the Lexan, Will you be able to build a ported box to those specifications for me?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 872
lol, glass the statement was directed towards poeple on my knowledge level and poeple that doubt me for my age and experience time. Of course you know more then me thats like comparing apples and oranges but one day hopefully in maybe 5, 10, 15 years ill become as knowlegable as you in the car audio field. Till then im also doubting that I know more then you. :-)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8286
never know.. if you put in the time, you can go far. I was just razzin' ya anyway
seriously though, you need thick lexan if the entire box, or a full panel is made from it that has to withstand the pressures of the subs. otherwise the stuff flexes badly.

plus lexan or plexi are just a pain to work with.. it's a lot of sweat and time.. you have to cut the panels pretty exactly, then polish the edges on everything, and buff em all out. then pre-drill and countersink all of the screws, and seal the lexan together with a special cement to prevent air leaks, or cork any panels that are removable, etc. To make it all clear and shiny, you're talking hours and hours of work for one box. That's another reason people pay thousands of dollars for those show car lexan enclosures.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us