1 or 2 12's

MX450R
Unregistered guest
I have 2 12's in a sealed box in the back of my truck. Its an extended cab but the box is huge and takes up alot of my space. So im thinking of getting a box for just 1 12. Would it still sound decent with only 1 or should I just keep my setup.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 426
theoredically...if you have 2 subs sealed and if you were to just use 1 sub ported it would sound exactly the same

Bronze Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 21
says.....

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 578
Quick Shot that was one of the stupidest comments i have ever read. I cannot beleive that you would even type something like that after being on here as long as you have.

MX405R-You would have double the displacement with the 2 12's if they are the same sub, so it would louder. I would hook up just one of the subs in the enclosure you have to see how it sounds.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 853
No actually chris hes right. having 2 subs is a suppose to be +3 db over having one. having one sub ported is suppose to be +3 db over sealed so yeah hes 100% correct.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1009
Dissage.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 855
no.... more like OWNED

MX450R
Unregistered guest
Ive never built a box so Id probabally rather just buy one. Anyone know of a good site that sells single ported boxes?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 878
Oh forgot to mention that sealed and and ported will have different sound quality characteristics as well i was just backing up quickshot's statement
but its only true in form of spl terms as far as SQ
I would go with sealed not saying that you can't have a ported box with nice SQ but its alittle harder to achieve.

Silver Member

Post Number: 580
I still have to disagree, what about the displacement factor??? You can not tell me that 1 12 of the same sub will displace the same amount of air.

Silver Member

Post Number: 484
didnt appreciate you calling my statement idiodic although i do agree with you to a certain extent...many times i find it hard to believe that1 ported is the same as 2 sealed...although it is a proven fact...also regardign bassmanmikes last statement people do say that a ported box can sound just as good as a sealed one but i just dont seem to be able to agree with that..yes a ported box can sound good but you have port noise among other things so sealed will in my opinion sound better and its easier to build

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 880
I am just basing my point on what I have heard from the pros. I do not have the knowledge to back it up. But from what I do know I have come up with this very simple statement.

Its not about having more displacement, But what you do with the displacement you have.

Also about the ported boxes aounding good. Also another thing I have taken from the pros. REMEMBER SQ can NOT be measured it is a personal preferance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 487
yea i agree with you 100% bassman well put...

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 881
As for MX450R, give me the the recommended enclosure size for the sub and also the recommended tuning if your sure you wanna go ported and ill see what i can find.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 883
I don't know if this would be better statement but

It's not how much displacement you have, But how you use it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 581
Thanks for the info. I wasnt trying to be a d*ck i just didnt really understand it, and at the time i though it was idiotic. sorry man.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1631
What type of 12" sub are you using ?

I have a built enclosure that i never used for a JL 12w6v2 thats 1.5 cu ft. tuned to 32hz

here is a pictureUpload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us