Sound Quality Songs

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 732
Here's a new one. What are your favorite sound quality songs and cd's to lsiten to?

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 643
From my experience, mainstream music sounds the best because the music isn't very complex.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 420
SQ songs thats a new one..i would say white people music (you know what i mean like that pop and rock and sh!t)...those songs arent all about bass like rap music

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 282
lol, white people music.

Silver Member

Post Number: 424
man you know what im saying i dont wanna sound racist or anything lol

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 284
I know, its all good though.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8254
www.caraudiocentral.net has a section of their forum for SQ, and there's a sticky topic there for SQ songs. I started that thread over there to get a list going for reference.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3353
best ones ive heard so far are natalie cole i believe it was and the legend cd made after the movie

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 738
dng ya beat me to it glass lol

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 739
dang ya beat me to it glass lol

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8273
Counting Crows - August and everything after (MFSL CD)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (MFSL CD)
Sting - ...Nothing like the sun (MFSL CD)
Steely Dan - "Aja" and "Goucho" (MFSL CDs)
Sarah Mclachlan - Afterglow (CD)
Tori Amos - Boys for Pele (CD)
Norah Jones - (anything)
Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald - Louis and Ella Together (MFSL CD set)
Eric Clapton - Old Love (live) - 24 Nights CD set
Alana Davis - Blame it on me (CD)
Enya - Night falls...

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 310
DJ Tiesto...Just Be

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 750
sublime - what i got

that song sounds pretty good on a good system

Silver Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 144
Incubus - Make Yourself
Flat out awesome.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 298
James Taylor (clarity of vocals, and ballance of instruments, real instruments-no electronica)

Tom Petty (excellent overall ballance, very good mic techniques-you can hear lots of stuff in the background, great soundstage)

Dire Straits (excellent mic techniques, excellent vocals, excellent ovarall ballance)

Metalica (excellent overall ballance, excellent vocals)

Pink Floyd-the wall (excellent overall ballance, excellent soundstage, excellent mic techniques, advanced for their time)

Phil Colins (excellent vocals)

Tina Turner (excellent vocals, excellent dynamic range of sound, real instruments-no electronica)

Bronze Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 75
Yello, album is called FLAG. It F-in Rocks and its also nice on the ears.
Midnight Oil Diesel&Dust, Robert Plants stuff sounds good. Donald Fagen is nice. For Rock there's RUSH and for Pop the B-52's.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 752
what about Rush? Their stuff sounds pretty good on my stereo

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 217
Does this thread seem odd to anyone. I want a sound system that makes the music I like sound good. Its bad enough for people to talk about SPL songs, but SQ? come on. If you don't have any music you like listening to, why bother upgrading your stereo at all? "Sweet, I just bought this killer pair of Infinity components. Now I can listen to...let me check here...ahh Sarah Mclachlan!" Something is wrong with this picture :-(

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 302
Steve,

IMO, what the thread was implying was...

"What pieces(songs) do you use to check to see if your system is accurate?"

I answered it with the songs(recordings) that I use to compare when I am testing my system. I don't listen to those cd's in particular for my everyday listening pleasure. I only use them as refference for testing speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 461
i hit up the Sting "greatest hits" and coldplay "rush of blood.."

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 753
mixineffect is right. i listen to everything but polka. jausut can't stabnd that sh*t. but yea i like all of thge stuff that has been listed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 495
told you guys when this thread 1st started that SQ songs are white people songs^ lol

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 584
Glass listed alot of songs by older black musicians. You might wanna reread the thread quick.

Silver Member

Post Number: 499
hey man dont take it as an insult or anything i was just messing around

Silver Member

Post Number: 586
i wasn't, i am a Kracker. lol. I was just pointing it out thats all. I will agree though, most songs listed are from white people. This thread really is kind of rediculous though in my opinion. If you wanna test acuraccy and what no then use test tones and things like that.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1434
I agree with a lot of Mix's and Glass' choices.

I bought James Taylor's Greatest Hits on the way back from Colorado and was amazed. I used to own the thing, but couldn't believe the stuff I was hearing for the first time with the Clarion DRZ9255. Too bad the transport took a dump on me. Guess it didn't like some of the mountain roads I took it on.

:-(

Oh yeah, Dire Straights' "Brothers in Arms" is one kickorz SQ album. Any of Peter Bardens' or Donald Fagen's(Steely Dan) stuff is good also. Some of the Alan Parson's(Dark side of the Moon sound engineer) Project albums sound great as well.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 304
Hey I listed Tina Turner on my list ! Do I get any credit for variety?

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 305
Chris Klein,

Test tones are good sources for frequency response curves, but they are lacking in some areas.

For instance:

Test tones are electronic oscillator pink noise waves. They are not real musical instruments, so there is no way to compare if in fact your speaker is duplicating sound with accuracy. Who knows what a pink noise oscillator should sound like. Most people know what a human voice, acoustic guitar, violin or a piano should sound like. Thats why we use recordings with musical instruments that are acoustic vs electronic.

Username: Turboteg

Longmont, CO US

Post Number: 5
You guys need to try best of four play. I use this for a demo at work for car and home audio

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 307
sound pretty good, its jazz.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 649
I don't listen to hardly anything mentioned.

Wouldn't it be better to just demo your stereo on the music you listen to most? I don't see how listening to Sarah Mclaughlen would make anything from Lamb of God better. THe styles of music are like night and day.

Silver Member

Post Number: 589
I second that, more LOG!!!

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 308
David,

Its not the style of music that counts. Its the quality of the recording. You cant make an accurate comparison if the source you are using is badly recorded.

Most of the recorded music is garbage as far as quality is concerned. There are cheap mics, amps, instruments, speakers(monitors)/cables, stage setup, etc... out there that alot of bands use when they first start out.

Testing or comparing your speakers with a bad recording is like comparing a photo to a drawing. The drawing is no where close to the original, and perhaps vice versa.

Personally I do not use Sarah Mcloughlins recordings because she has a high pitched voice and she sings almost one octave above most other sopranos out there. It is really hard for me to be a judge using that as my source. I have almost nothing to compare her to.

Another reason is that her recordings sound two-dimmensional. There is no depth in the recording. I think it is mostly multi-tracked in.

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 915
i seem to like maxwell-"this womans works" as a sq song..

MoodyLue
Unregistered guest
whats wrong with Sarah Mclachlan? She has an absolutly angelic voice and her music has some deep bass whats not to love?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8347
and she's hot! hehehe

seriously though, the CDs I mentioned have clear vocals, clear and well defined instruments, and the mastering of the CD recordings are top notch. These are things that will help you pick out a good system, or any flaws in a system when looking for a quality setup. You can always throw in some of your favorites, and I suggest you do as not all systems are designed for all types of music, but certain tracks will help you define what may be lacking in the system that your most common musical selections may mask. I wouldn't look for vocal clarity with a Dead Pool CD for instance, of string or woodwind instrument clarity in an ICP track. That doesn't mean I don't listen to metal or rap.. it just means they aren't ideally suited to defining what the systems can do.
You don't buy a sportcar based purely on how easy it is to park, or a race horse on how well it's tail is braided. You need to put anything through it's paces to really see what it can do if you're going to drop a considerable chunk of money on it for your enjoyment.

I hope that makes some sense to you.

Silver Member
Username: Jb502

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 149
okay, anyone does want some rap that SOUNDS good, get the G-UNIT CD. Even if you don't like them, this is one of the best rap cd's i have heard, as far as sound quality. check it out and see if you agree, try number 12.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 309
What I meant about Sarah Mclaughlins recordings "having no depth", was:

The recording sounds like everything is coming from one point source. Kinda like synthesyzer muzic. Listen to technotronic, Robert Miles, KLF, 2unlimited, etc...

There is no depth in the music(soundstage). Please do not misinterpret it for meaning that it has no low bass. It has to do with what kind of image you get from the recording. IMO, it sounds two-dimmensional.

When you listen to a well ballanced recording; the music seems to surround you, as if you were on stage just checking out the musicians as they played, instead of hearing it coming from just one direction and all the music is coming at once, and you get no depth of stage setup.

A wise recording engineer will set up his mics, using techniques in a certain way that the recording will come to life during playback.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3619
Counting crows, blues travler,alot of alabama,most country,female vocals, and anything on XM sounds fantastic because of the quality(much better then cd)

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1650
Nine Inch Nails , Beck , Beastie Boys , Esham , Natas , Kool Keith , Gwen Stefani, Korn, To many to name

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 184
Eagles- Hotel California..one of the best IMO. Suprised no one has listed it yet.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1441
XM better than CD?

XM searched the world for the best sound quality technologies and found them in customized CT-aacPlus audio encoding with Neural Audio optimization, which provides superior sound quality remarkably close to Compact Disc.

from here:

http://www.xmradio.com/corporate_info/fast_facts_sound.html

If they're using any kind of compression algorithm(and I imagine they are) SQ has to suffer at least somewhat.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1442
Yeah, Hotel California, a classic. Greatest Hits ain't so bad either.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3625
I have played songs on cd and the same songs on XM and the XM has more detail and much more depth. atleast on my deck it does.

Silver Member

Post Number: 613
i would have to agree James. I own both XM and sirius. XM sound clearer on my Home theater system and my HU. I dont understand why though, i have a Nakamichi HU so it is a good HU and all.

Sirius is a different store. It doesnt have as clear of a signal and when playing country songs and the such, it sounds kinda tinny. Sirius' sound is geared more towards rock, and that is why i got that too.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3636
nice so are you gonna listen to opie & anthony or Howard stern? I am a huge O&A fan they are the SH!T!

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 756
went and saw mark wills in concert. I'm proud to say that my little stereo in my car sounded nearly exactly the same. Made me pretty happy :-)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8388
if XM sounds better, it's all signal processing to mask any loss due to the compression. remember, you're listening to the same CDs you'd buy in a store, broadcast over the air and digitally compressed in much the same way as an MP3 would be compressed.. so what you're hearing will never have the resolution of the master recording or original CD.

Silver Member
Username: Redrange

Mo Hill, California USA

Post Number: 214
dont get the reg version of hotel california get the ACOUSTIC that is one of the greatest songs ever made

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3663
I hear what your saying glass maybe my headunit(alpine 9813) boost the signal coming in I have no idea but it is deff louder and clearer on my XM then on an OG cd.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 757
Nick that sounds awesome. I'm gonna agree with ya on the fact that that has to be one of the greatest songs ever recorded

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 137
"Alison Krauss and Union Station" is another group that is excellent for SQ purposes.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4534
ok guys, lets be honest, nothing tops these, back in black, stairway to heaven, over the hills and far away, and the battle of evermore

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 653
I heart Stairway to Heaven.

When I gauge my system I usually listen to Bob Seger, and Factory 81. If it sounds good on both those styles I am generally pretty happy with it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us