Alpine VS MTX

GPAC
Unregistered guest
Hey, I was looking for a fairly cheap amp to power my 10" Comp VR. I was considering the MTX 2301 ($170) and the Alpine M350 ($150). I am currently leaning (getting ready to fall) on the MTX, any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3190
Probably the MTX. Alpine is a little overrated, in more ways than one, and you really don't get as much as you pay for, with their amps at least. Don't think that Alpine subs and headunits are overrated too.

Bronze Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 16
Yeh right.You get a better sound out of a Alpine than a MTX.MTX= garbage. Also V-Power amps are not that stout,but they hardly ever distort. As for bigger amps,MTX cant touch Alpine's V-12 series.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 395
drummer shut up your a newb....alpine has some good amps but most of their amps are overrated..you cant say that alpine amps are better than mtx because thats a lie..ive dealt with alot of mtx stuff and im not saying that their stuff is the best because its not but you cant tell me that mtx makes garbage stuff...their subs and amps are good especially for the price you can get them

GPAC
Unregistered guest
Thanks Quick Shot...thats what I was looking for, honest view, with experience...(and a moderately priced amp). Thanks Again

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 381
Hey hey hey. Enough with the meaness. Zapco and US Amps are the best. MTX are cheaper than Alpine, and yes, Alpine is a little overrated, but I'm sure MTX is too. IMHO, they're equal, I just like Alpine because of they're ability to link into they're HU.

Silver Member

Post Number: 407
i mean of course zapco and us amps are better those are top of the line amps...were talking about budget amps here....both amps are overrated but i think mtx is overrated less

Username: Enigma412

Chicago, Il

Post Number: 5
alway MTX

Bronze Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 22
I agree with JH. Alpine is better than MTX. They are better with fuctionality,style,and quality.Your right MTX is not garbage but i have had stuff from different brands.MTX is def, not better than Alpine or Rockford fosgate for that matter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
well everyone has different opinions but many people will argue that mtx is better than alpine and also RFs newer stuff is highly overrated i doubt that they would be better than mtx

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
RF's new stuff highly overrated? They're highly UNDERrated. And of course we're gonna have tons of debate on which is better, I'm just putting in my .02. And I'm looking at getting a Zapco C2K9.0. Expensive as hell, but I think it'd be worth it.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 862
Zapco and US amps are not exactly the best there are others out there that can compete and some that are actually better but generalized they are in the top of the line catergory.

Silver Member

Post Number: 452
well jake...i havent seen their 05 stuff but ive heard that those are underrtaed to make up for their past stuff....but their late 90s and early 2000s lines were overrated and i consider that their newer stuff

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3610
You can't compare RF with MTX. Look at the prices. For your money, MTX will give you better performance.
Reason why Alpine amps are overrated is, the product you get for the money isn't worth it. JL amps are high priced, but you do get good quality and features. Alpines are somewhere between okay to decent. That does not warrant high price. It doesn't mean it's a bad amp like Pyramid/Sony/Pyle/Lanzar/Boss etc. Just over priced for an average product.

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
Yes. :D

Bronze Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 25
"RFs newer stuff is highly overrated i doubt that they would be better than mtx" Wow good job C*mshot. Talk about something you havent even seen ,just went on opinions.This is prolly what you did in the other Alpine VS MTX thread.

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
ooo c*m shot your imaginative....i do have experience with RFs 01-04 stuff because my friends own soem and im giving you my opinion which si backed by several other people on thsi forum....your just a fu**ing idiot....i barely talk about things that i ahvent seen or heard thats why youll almost never see me talking about Brahmas, DD,PPi, Zapco and all that high end stuff but i do talk about the cheaper equipment because i do have experience with them...just get the f**k out this forum if your going to make stupid @$$ comments all the time

Silver Member
Username: Jb502

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 142
why does everyone say alpine is overated. My amp was underated. 1000 wats rms is what they rate it at, it puts out 1052! that is an underating if i am not mistaking.

Silver Member

Post Number: 477
its not that alpine amps are overrated as in they dont put out what thye say they do..its the fact that they are expensive but performance and quality build is average...basically their good but for the price you can find a equal/better alternative

Silver Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 139
Alpine F1 Status is pretty good but that sh!t is high $$

GPAC
Unregistered guest
Dang, looks like I started a hate thread

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 291
damn near, lol.

Bronze Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 32
Ill do the same. Ill just go off on friends systems i have heard of a few times. You keep talking about "cheaper stuff" like "MTX" because thats all you have had is "Cheaper aka "JUNK." We are comparing newer stuff not older stuff,so get updated on new technology like Alpine amps :-)

Silver Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 169
why cant we be friends

chainSmoker
Unregistered guest
U can smoke Alpine but U can't smoke MTX. hehe

Silver Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 142
I ran 4 12" MTX Blue Thunders and the Blue Thunder amps in a wall in a 85 Cutlass back in the day. There a point for both sides. )

Water
Unregistered guest
why would you run around saying you heard new
sh!t and you really heard a bunch of old stuff your friends have?

a JL dealer told me a 10001bd Rockford amp blew there w7. Rated the same wattage as the slash amp
what does that tell you ?
cheap built sub or underated amp

get off the cpu and go listen to some stuff and stop saying stupid things

GumboShrimp
Unregistered guest
So since when dealers tell the truth lol.

GumboShrimp
Unregistered guest
Also whats JL got to do with anything this is MTX vs Alpine JL dont count.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4493
actually water, the new 10001bd amps like bench test around 1500 watts rms not 1000 like they sho0uld, rf is trying to make up for there crappy profucts last few years, so maybe it did happen

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3623
Blowing a sub doesn't mean much. You can do the same with Pyramid/Pyle/Lanzar/Boss/Sony amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 92
Read a page on clipped signals, you can blow a sub with equal power as the amp puts out very easily if its badly clipped (which most peoples systems are). If you have the amp settings too high it sends a DC/AC signal instead of just an AC signal and causes the normal sine wave to turn into a square wave. When this happens the sub doesn't displace as much as it should with the amount of power it is getting and heats up. The main way a subwoofer cools is from the air moving from the displacement of the speaker.

Don't talk about an amp blowing a sub, and then make a reference that it must be better than what it says... In the past I have had some crappy amps blow some quality subs due to this (which I recently was told about by glasswolf).

:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
Blowing a sub sucks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 490
im not even going to waste my time with this idiot drummer n!99@.....just wondering what are you running drummer because you seem to be running high class stuff the way your talking...im not going to get into an internet argument over something so stupid....i dont care if you think mtx is junk w/e doesnt bother me im not getting paid if people like certain brands

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 158
ALpine amps are not that expensive, my 1000 watt rms alime mrd-m1005 was 549, brand new with the warranty. How much are 1000 watt rms amps from jl, mtx, or the other ones you claim are good. I think alpine is cheaper than those. So how can you call it overated and say it is because of the price when it is cheaper than the others.

Silver Member

Post Number: 579
$549? thats hella expensive compared to JBL and MTX amps that push out 1000watts..you can get them for like 300-400 easy

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 160
show me a link for those amps at that price brand new please, or lose all respect.

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 161
sorry, not jbl, jl audio, jbl is not nearly as good as alpine, of course you can get a jbl for that price. Show me an amp that is not "overated", that puts out 1000 watts rms for 549. I'm talking something better than alpine for around the same price like people claim exist. Only better amps i know of are jl audio, or kicker, and there 1000 watt amps are alot more than 549. Thats brand new, not this ebay crap, brand new. Show me a comparaple amp to the alpine mrd-m1005, for less than 549. Good luck, I will look for your response tommorrow.

Silver Member

Post Number: 582
jbl
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5791499588&category=18797 %26
mtx
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5790808560&category=39735 %26
just a few examples^
alpine
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5791816102&category=79825 %26
the alpine is actually pretty cheap i didnt know that it was that cheap...havent looked at alpine amps in a while
but you could find the mtxs and jbls much cheaper if you buy used...i guess im keeping my respect?

Silver Member

Post Number: 583
what you mean "ebay crap"? ebay is not crap you can get some nice sh!t on ebay its not my fault that you dont like to deal with it...im not trying to argue with you Juston...the alpine amp is good at the ebay price..not at the retail price that you paid for it

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4311
I'd take the MTX amplifier, in nearly any case, especially the case of Class D subwoofer amplifiers. Alpines amps aren't really worth bringing to light in their price range, middle line equipment, even the V12 series isn't that impressive. They're ok for integrating with Alpines head units, but I'd rather have something that focuses on build quality and component quality than control and integration. MTX's amps are the better built ones, and are underrated in their specs while with Alpine you'll be lucky to get right at rated power.

"We are comparing newer stuff not older stuff,so get updated on new technology like Alpine amps :-)"

Amplifiers operate on the same design principles that they have for decades now, Alpine has innovated nothing, they have simply created a line of amplifiers designed to integrate with their product lineup. You won't see many Alpine amps in a competition unless the person is sponsored. Even people using Alpines uber-expensive F#1 Status Head unit and processors are choosing Zapco, Arc Audio, TRU Technology and other amplifiers to get the job done.

You'll notice that the MRD-M1005 only puts out 700W RMS @ 2 ohm when given 12V. The only time it outputs 1000W is with 14.4V and a 1% THD, which is in a clipping state. Hence, why they are overrated. Most high-end amplifier companies will rate around 12.5V or so to ensure you get rated power, as most vehicles put out a voltage in the mid to high 13s. Now, to clarify, the 700W RMS was measured within the amplifiers operating limits (not clipping), so if you convert the 12V figure and kick it up to 14.4V, you'll get 840 watts. Since the average vehicle puts out 13s, you're really only getting a clean 800 watts of power. Wonder why it was only $549?

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4585
jonathon, i have some questions i would like to talk to you about and was wondering if i could please get a way to tal to you personally or over email or something please?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4313
About to go to bed, got work in the morning, I'll email you later on tomorrow, saw it in your profile.

Gold Member

Ky

Post Number: 4590
thank you

Silver Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 504
alpine amps are under rated power wise.....just figured id throw that in there...anyways....

carry on...

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 162
rob fox you are absolutely wrong, mine is rated at 1000, puts out 1052, i can post a pic of the birth shee if you like, i'm guessing none of you have any experience with alpine, you are just talking out your a $ $

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 535
even though im a big alpine fan .. its all i buy, i have to agree that there amps are not that impressive...especially the fact that the newer ones are way cheaper (m1005) and there still puttin out the same power as last years models.. there there like half the size, which is good in a way i guess but makes me wonder.. my 1001 starts to clip when its drawing around 50 - 60 amps..i also notice the total of 80A worth of fuses and how that can safely draw 1000 watts.. just my thoughts

Silver Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 508
juston you f*cking moron....i said under rated power wise...therefor if it is rated at 1000 and puts out 1052 it is....UNDER RATED....learn how to read before you go running your c*ck holster. and actually you guess wrong because alpine is all i own.

jizzm
Unregistered guest
haha i love it!!

Confucious
Unregistered guest
Jonathan quote:
"You'll notice that the MRD-M1005 only puts out 700W RMS @ 2 ohm when given 12V. The only time it outputs 1000W is with 14.4V and a 1% THD, which is in a clipping state. Hence, why they are overrated. Most high-end amplifier companies will rate around 12.5V or so to ensure you get rated power, as most vehicles put out a voltage in the mid to high 13s. Now, to clarify, the 700W RMS was measured within the amplifiers operating limits (not clipping), so if you convert the 12V figure and kick it up to 14.4V, you'll get 840 watts. Since the average vehicle puts out 13s, you're really only getting a clean 800 watts of power. Wonder why it was only $549?"

So is this theory true? If so how could Alpine be UNDER-rated?? Enlighten me some1. :-)Was thinkin of gettin myself a MRD-M1005 but after what Jonathan wrote. I think I'll hold off plans for a while.

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 163
sorry about that rob fox, i am just so used to people talking down on alpine. What Alpine stuff do you have? That is all i own also. My whole system is alpine and i love it.

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 164
Mark S, isn't that kinda what you want, same power, smaller package, less money? seems like a good deal.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4315
"rob fox you are absolutely wrong, mine is rated at 1000, puts out 1052, i can post a pic of the birth shee if you like, i'm guessing none of you have any experience with alpine, you are just talking out your a $ $"

You'll see the same specs on your birth sheet that I pointed out on my previous post, in your case, 1052 watts @ 2 ohms with 14.4V with 1% distortion, which is within clipping region, not a true RMS power output rating, which would be in the 800s. This would be okay if it were Sony or Legacy or Boss advertising PMPO in big letters on the amp box, but this is Alpine, personally I expect more from them. But, this is typical of many Japanese audio companies, American amp manufacturers tend to generously underrate their products so that their amps will be used in a certain power class in a competition and put out much more power than the ratings let on, they win more competitions and get recognition that way.

"So is this theory true? If so how could Alpine be UNDER-rated?? Enlighten me some1. :-)"

Simple ohms law. Power (watts) = voltage x current. If you were to divide that 700 watts by 12V, you would get 58.33 amperes of current. So if you stepped up the voltage to 14.4V, you would multiply that by 58.33 amps and achieve 840 watts of power at that voltage level, ASSUMING that the amplifier keeps it's efficiency at the higher voltage level, which usually isn't the case as most amps will be less efficient (less power) as voltage goes up, but the results are close enough that you can neglect it. So if Alpine gave a true RMS power rating while keeping the amplifier from clipping, power would be in the 800s, and that's at 14.4V.

To clarify, when I say Alpine is overrated, I stick to the definition. Overrated means to assess or think too highly of something, to overestimate it. Not living up to its hype.

Silver Member

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 178
why only 58 amps. It has 4 20 amp fuses. that would be 80 amps max, x 14.4 = 1152.
My truck puts out 13.7 vots
13.7 x 80 = 1096. what do you say about that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us