Hey sean...

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 793
hey man..

i'm still doing ~145db w/ my sx15...i took 1st at a comp in sheveport,la this weekend.

i wanna get rid of my old brahma ASAP so i can buy a 150dB SPL meter so i can use it to play around w/ box designes and get a higher #. I'm still not sure what my true resonance freq is in my truck...lol.

The Sx15 slams though, i have a box tuned to 32hz that i use daily its great. My truck feels like its gonna fall apart when I play some Mike Jones...lol
I met a guy w/ an x.x.x. 15 at the comp this weekend and he said that my SX15 was a lot louder than his x.x.x15 on a snell shell on an orion 1200d.

(what really messed w/ my head was that he only did a 139.8 w/ that x.x.x. in a box tuned to 55hz burping at 60hz!!!...i'm gonna help him get loud when i get an SPL meter though)

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 152
sup marshall, you goin to heatwave?

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 794
hey zac,

I may be going to heatwave, but i wont be competing. I pretty sure my lil 145 in mod301-900 would get me bout 10th place if 11 people enter...lol.

I'm looking into getting my SX15 reconed to a quad 1ohm so i can get it down to 1/4 ohm to burp. I'm also gonna get a 0-300 class amp sooner or later. (would a kx1200.1 handle 1/4 for burps?)

right now i'm running the sub a 1ohm nominal and i'm gettin a box rise of about 3.3ohms.

oh zac...do u think getting one of those 150dB SPL meters would be worth $150? (splmeter.com the dBm-2) I have no clue now #'s on that meter wold compare to the Termlab. I'm only doing ~145 outlaw and ~143 legal on the TL, but i'm not even sure that my true resonance freq is...lol. I'm burping at 50-51hz right now.

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 906
whats the tuing of your enclousre?

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 153
Marshall,
You should come anyways, I bet there won't be many people in mod 301. Wait, a kx1200.1 is only 300 watts, you could run 0-300mod. Not many competitors compete in mod classes anyways. I bet you'd still place top 5 with your score.
As far as the meter, its up to you, if your serious about competing which it seems you are...I would just save up and go for the TermLab. I can get you a small discount from wayne.
The 1/4 burps...not sure, depends on what the amp really sees. We've ran those at 1/2 through an entire sine sweep. So i'm guessing as long as you play nothing but you res freq for short burps I would think it'd be ok at 1/4.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3342
marshall try messing with the port I had an idea to make a port horn if your just doing spl single frequency it should help a good bit....this is how I came up with it take you say a word in a constant tone now say that same word in the same tone but cup your hands over your mouth and as you say it over and over open you hands wider ...did you notice it got louder?....now do it again but this time place a peace of mac reciept at mouth level a few inches away and do that again with the cupping technic varing widths of opening as before say the word at a constant tone and you will eventually see the paper move but not untill you open so far....Ive also read that the matt guy who used to work for p4s was doing spl with a dd sub and he found that crossing the port opening gave him 1.5 db extra which led him to wanting to refocus that energy with some type of thing he compared to a blow off valve

heres the link where he talks about that and more

http://bbs.soundpressure.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=34;t=000653

Gold Member

Post Number: 3343
well it wasnt the blow off valve it was his diflector...but the blow of valve was to mimic opening your car door which form me is about 2 to 3 db extra

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 795
hey zac,
when exactly is heatwave? i know of a couple of guys that are going (some of the southern creations guys)...i'll may head that way too. and if the competition doesnt look to rough i'll prolly enter. I'd like to see what your cooking up in your vehicle anyways.

sean,
i had a buddy that tryed a "wave-guide" kinda thing w/ one of the newer audiobahn immortal 15's. it was a total bust...but he didnt spend much time working out the designs. i dont think he even broke 140dB...lol

what kinda scores are your guys getting?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3349
with my two 6.5s in a daily box on 280 rms total for the two i can hit 129 to 130 db at 43 hz windows up and 2 to 3 db more windows down
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us