Help wiring my subs

WC
Unregistered guest
alright i have 3 subs that are dual 6ohms the audiobahn alumn(i know) but i have a amp thats 1500 watts watts i was wondering if i could connect only one voice coil from each speaker so it can be 1500 watts the subs are 1000rms so that makes the coils 500 wtts each right? and if i only connect one coil from each itll give me 1500 right? what impendence would it come to? my amp is stable from 4 to 1 oohms. i tried to research first but got confused i came up with 1 0hms all together.

Bronze Member
Username: Pimpzeus

United States

Post Number: 13
correct man u do that. if u turn ur gain down then u could hook both coils up and not blow the subs. say? u dont know where i could get some cheap used ones do u?

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 990
WC: No, only hooking up one voice coil will damage the speaker.

Brandon: The gain is not a volume control...

WC
Unregistered guest
how would it hurt my speaker your just using a voice coil
for example say you got a dual 4 ohm voice coil 2000rms if you only use one coil you end up with 1000rms. is lke having 2 speakers in one ive done this before and nothing ever happened. i jus got confused because their 60hms.

Brandon i got mine brand new of ebay for 220 for all three of them.
mine are 1000 watts rms and if i only use one coil from each is 500 for each i wanna know what impendance it will come to.

Bronze Member
Username: Pimpzeus

United States

Post Number: 14
i need someone that i can send the money to and they can send me the subs. I bought an audiobahn amp from there but it was blown so i dont really trust ebay

Silver Member

Post Number: 992
Sorry, I did some research and you're right, it won't damage it, but will cause it to perform poorly.

Found this on the JL website:
"With only one coil hooked up, a dual voice coil speaker will suffer a loss in reference efficiency of about 3dB (only half the coil windings are being energized) as well as a significant shift in its Thiele/Small parameters. This renders any enclosure calculations inaccurate unless you remeasure the speakers parameters with only one coil hooked up. Failure to account for the different parameters of a dual voice coil speaker with only one coil powered can result in very poor performance."
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/dvc/howWired.html

WC
Unregistered guest
bump

GumboShrimp
Unregistered guest
Just wire it the way its suppose to be. It will work just dont drive the amp into clipping. Use your head thats all. Can always upgrade amps.

WC
Unregistered guest
Well the thing is i have a box that has three holes for subwoofers and if i only connect one its gonna leave 2 big holes and look crappy in my suv. i cant get another amp till 2 to 3 months. right now im bassless and it sucks i only got the inside speakers and no bass.i need someone to help me who knows. Brandon and Jexx i dont think they know anything they just got me more confused.

Bronze Member
Username: Shadow1290

Post Number: 18
anything on an audio companys websight is just their way of trying to get you to more of their stuff

don't listen to that

GumboShrimp
Unregistered guest
Wire the 3 to show 1 Ohm and run them 3 to your amp. Or you could series parallel them to show a 4ohm choice is yours. You said its 1 ohm stable right in mono? Like I said youll be fine until you get a bigger amp as long as you dont clip the subs youll be fine. http://audiobahn.com/frame2004.html for 4ohm http://audiobahn.com/frame2004.html for 1ohm

WC
Unregistered guest
lol thanks gumboshrimp im still confused maybe i shouldnt of said i had audiobahns.lol

GumboShrimp
Unregistered guest
Here same thing is shown here http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#6dvcpp
3 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Parallel / Parallel
Connecting the two voice coils of each driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel will result in the following impedances:
Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 1 Ohm

Silver Member

Post Number: 995
"Brandon and Jexx i dont think they know anything they just got me more confused."

I'm sorry if I didn't clarify. The subs will sound like crap if only one voice coil is hooked up.

"anything on an audio companys websight is just their way of trying to get you to more of their stuff"

Yes, that is true of some sites, however JL is absolutely not one of them.

WC
Unregistered guest
thanks good thing you decided to help gumboshrimp or else i wouldnt still been confused. THANKS!

and jexx youre wrong it WILL NOT sound like crap if you only connect one voice coil i know for sure cuz ive done it before. for example say you have a dvc 40hm 500rms sub and you have an amp thats 250rms bridged at 40hms you could connect one voice coil to it so it can only send 250 to one voice coil. start a new thread about this example i just said and i'll bet that they will say youre wrong.

"anything on an audio companys website is just their way of trying to get you to more of their stuff"

lol that is so true.

Silver Member

Post Number: 997
I couldn't get through to you anyway, especially with your unregistered status and poor grammar. It isn't worth it.

Anonymous

Jexx is right it wont perform like it should thats for sure. Thats why they make them DVC its not for ok 1 coil is burnt lets use the other one now type of thing heh. Its made to work togther not separate thats all he saying WC.

WC
Unregistered guest
lol jex ill start a thread about this and we will see whos right. other people are telling me how to wire it while you say it will sound like crap just cause that website said.Youre the same person who said it will damage the speaker. it just shows how much you know.puff... ill get an opinion from the REAL pros.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8239
like JL's site said, if you don't compensate for the T/S shift of using one coil, then yes it will sound lousy because its like putting a sub into a box not designed to that sub's specs.
if you account for the changes to the parameters and build the box yourself to meet those new specs, you'll e fine..

I wouldn't run a sub with one of it's two coils myself for numerous reasons, one being the loss of half it's power handling. I'd get the right subs for the job or the right amps to drive what I had for subs instead of trying to be cheap and work around not having teh right tools for the job, so to speak.
that's just me though. do whatever works best for your setup and your means.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3184
To add to what Glass is talking about, I have played around and hooked up a dvc sub to just one vc, and it was crap, and it was a W6.

WC
Unregistered guest
all right glasswolf thanks for taking your time and helping us out.
"If you account for the changes to the parameters and build the box yourself to meet those new specs youll be fine.."
see i knew it was possble but Jexx he was insisting that you cant, it will damage the speaker and i dont know what other crap he was saying i needed an opinion from someone else he just got me more confused.Now i know why some of the pros get pissed off and say that everybody is so eager to help yet they know nothing.Thanks gumboshrimp and glass ill take YOUR advice. But for now im only going to connect one sub to my amp for now. i could deal with the other two holes being open with no subs for a couple months.

WC
Unregistered guest
Joe but how much power were you putting into the w6 is rated at 400rms were you putting 400 rms to one coil or 200 rms cause its 200rms each coil right. and did you account for the changes in the parameters and box.

my Whole Point was that it was possible like glass said i dont know how it ended up like this. but thanks for everyone helping out

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3194
I was only running the 200 watts for the one coil. I know I didn't account for the changes pretaining to the box, I was just adding to the fact that if you don't account for the changes, then it will sound like crap.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3195
But yeah, it can be done, pretty easily too. Just powering one voice coil really shouldn't effect control of the sub, your just gonna be running half the power. One voice coil is wrapped around the other, so that when only one is powered, the sub can still function the same. I'm sure if you were funning the sub free air, you wouldn't notice a problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us