BL Numbers

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 483
I was just wondering what a good BL rating would be. And what exactly is a Telsa meter? I have seen ratings from 7.39Tm to 19.17Tm. What is the difference between a BL curve and just a BL rating in Tm? I am just trying to learn some of the more technical stuff!

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 715
all i know is telsa meters is a magnet strength mesurmnent but well that all i know lol...also the higher the rating the stronger the motor...and a telsa meter records the telsa stuff lol

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 488
Amazing how fast a post gets sent towards the bottom...

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 351
because no one knows what the hell your talking about lol better wait until the smart people get home

Username: Seth_walker

U.S.A.

Post Number: 3
a bl curve is a graph of a motors strength over the majority of the drivers usable excursion, a flatter bl curve means lower distortion. a bl rating is related to the speaker's sensitivity. a higher bl will generally means the speaker will have a higher relative efficiency or sensitivity.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3176
Bl is a measurement of the magnetic strength "B" that a voice coil is exposed to, times the length "l" of coil actually exposed to the magnetic field.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3177
A "weber" is a unit of magnetic flux, which is equal to a "tesla meter^2". A weber is also equal to a "volt second"

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 492
So when you are talking about the BL of a sub, a higher rating is better because there is more control of the moving mass of the cone. What about sensativity? A higher rating the better?

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 495
Oh yeah.... why are BL ratings so much lower for DVC subs? In most cases I saw, the BL rating was like half of the SVC version, whats the deal with that?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8216
yes a higher BL usually maens a stronger control over the driver movement which is better for keeping a tight, accurate response with a sub.

a DVC sub will have a lower Bl per coil because each coil is half the length of a SVC sub. remember the l in Bl is the length of the coil.. so you're essentially splitting the l in two for dual coils. same reason an SVC sub may take 200 watts, but a DVC sub of teh same type is 100 watts per coil.

Anonymous

RE MT's BL is 49 tesla meters. Says alot since we all know the ability of that subwoofer.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8237
seen the magnet structure on that thing? you need two men and a small boy to move those speakers.
heh

Anonymous

the MT's magnet structure is soooo beautiful.......*tears* sniff sniff

lol

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 129
So for example, I was comparing my old mtx 7000 SVC sub with a BL of 18.97 and then the avalanche 15" DVC sub with a BL of 16 and i was wondering how could my mtx possibly have a better motor strength, when in all actuallity the avalanche is much stronger? Do I have that right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us