Measuring ohms...ATTN: Jonathan,Issac,Glasswolf etc.

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 114
hey guys, how do i measure ohms? With an ohm meter? if so where can i get one of these and is it better to run 2 or 4 ohm impedances for the front components? I like the way my a/d/s/ 236 Is's sound now,running at 123 watts rms from my jbl amp but if i drop them to 2 ohms then i would be putting out 169 watts rms. Is it ok to do this? I also have the CDT image enhancement kit connected to the crossover on the tweeter output and i thought this would drop me down to 2 ohms but the CDT tech said it wouldnt change very much if at all because of the way the kit is made. Is this true do you think? Anyways, any advice would be helpful, thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
bump

Anonymous

Can use a DMM.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
whats a DMM?

Anonymous

Digital Multimeter http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/categorydmm

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
thank you anon,

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3579
You can get DMM from just about any electronic store. Radio Shack has some cheap ones around $10. If you're going to be working often with electronic components and cars, invest in a decent unit. They cost $80-$150. Look for true RMS option.
If your amp supports 2ohms then you can drop your components to 2ohms. However, you will get best SQ at 4ohms. Depending on your amp, you might not even be able to tell the difference, especially with Zapco C2K series. Their amp at 2ohms will have higher numbers than lot of the amps at 4ohms.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8210
what exactly do you want to measure?
a speaker's DC resistance will be different than it's AC votlage impedance, since the DCR is a fixed value, whereas the "nominal" in nominal impedance refers to an average. This is because the actual resistance of the coil changes as does it's mechanical efficiency as the frequency it's producing changes.

in other words a "4 ohm" speaker will measure about 4.6 ohms DC resistance, but it's impedance will in reality fluctuate constantly during use when connected to an amplfier and playing music.

If I knew what you want to figure out, I could suggest the best wayu to do it

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Hey Glasswolf,
I'm running 4 ohm a/d/s/ 236 IS 6.5" components.My jbl bp300.4 amp is supplying 123 watts rms to each of the four channels. If I can drop my impedance to 2 ohms for the front then I would be putting out 169 watts rms. I would like to see if this makes a noticable difference in volume for the front components. I also have the CDT image enhancement kit with the 24mm silk up front too. The cdt tech told me that because of the way its made, it shouldnt drop my front impendance hardly at all and he told me to connect it to the a/d/s crossover's tweeter output.So i would like to measure this to see how much it dropped my impedance by. Also,should i keep it this way or should i connect it to the crossover's power input and just put a capacitor on the cdt's tweeter? and if so what cutoff frequency should i use? I hope i expained my intentions well heh.Thanks for your time

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8231
123x2 should be more than enough power for a front stage.
you can't alter the load of the speakers. that's a fixed value.
what you can do is bridge the amp, and get 358 watts x 2 which will most likely blow the speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
ok, I'll leave it alone then :P heh, as i dont want to blow my speakers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us