Silver Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 245
does it sound like that in the box?

Bronze Member
Username: Bigboat

Post Number: 24
yeah, i took it out to see if it was somthing wrong with the box, and it still sounds like that.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3170
Kinda sounds like lead slap, but it's hard to tell from the quality of the video. Do you smell anything while it's playing? Your coils could be starting to unwind, but once you totally blow a voice coil or something of that nature, it won't play at all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
no i dont smell anything at all, and i know you cant tell but the voice isnt moving very much at all. Is there a fix for "lead slap"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
could it have anything to do with heat, my car sits outside all day in 120 degree weather?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3171
If it is lead slap, (which I kinda doubt it is), you could try gluing felt or something on the cone in the area that the tinsel leads are hitting. After watching it again, and having you tell me that it doesn't move much at all, especially in free air, I'm pretty sure somethings wrong with the voice coils.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
ok so should i try giving jl a call or just buy a new sub?

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 290
new sub

Bronze Member
Username: Rmzracer

Bentonville, Arkansas USA

Post Number: 15
my kicker did the same thing it was really wierd. sounded HORRIBLE hurt my ears it rattled soo bad. i trashed it and bought a type r.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 294
To me it sounds as if the voice coil is bent.

Perhaps someone and/or something pushed in on the cone towards one side, causing the former to bend and now it is rubbing inside the magnetic gap. If the box was in a car and was not fastened down it may have bumped into something. If it got abused by curious people then you may have to watch your stuff a little closer. I dislike grills, but I have been burned before by curious hands. That's the first thing they do. Duh, check out this woofer, and they poke at it. Kool! Tweeters are notorious for this type of abuse. They can't handle almost any abuse whatsoever.

The speaker is making sound, so it can't be a signal error. The signal is interrupted however. That is the key to unlocking the mystery on this one. It can't be the heatb because I have had a pair of co-axials come unglued, due to heat before, and they kept on moving.

See if you can try to help the woofer by centering it as it is playing. Hold it from the bottom with your middle and ring finger to support/center it. Do not push in on it anymore. See if that will help.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 482
yeh dude that pisses my off .. buddies see my subs and start pushing them in and out...

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3173
That's exactly what it sounded like to me Mixin, the vc is rubbing on something.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
yeah i tried moving the vc so it was centered better, it didnt seem to help much, but that sounds like a logical answer, everyone touches my sub, and there is always crap in the back of my car moving around.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us