Box stuffing

Silver Member
Username: Richierch

Post Number: 111
is box stuffing really needed and if so how do you apply it to the box(do you line the walls or just throw it in there)

Silver Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 236
line it is so it doesent hit the sub i would think. It is not needed but is useful for space saving because it can make a smaller box "feel" like a bigger one to fit the sub specs

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 276
Stuffing can be applied in various ways:

Without stuffing, an enclosure will sound boxy/mechanical. This means that the walls will resonate/vibrate and add to the sound. This changes the sound, for worse. Yes worse. Just because it adds volume doesnt mean it is better. Hollow, boxy, boomy sound is something to stay away from.

When you add "lining" (not to be misinterpreted as stuffing) it helps reduce the hollow hall effect, or boxy sound, but it will not do what stuffing does.

Stuffing is loose filling that adds opposition to the driver by making the air pressure change and thus a larger wavelength may be created in a smaller enclosure. Larger wavelengths result in lower bass. Although you get extended lower range it is at the cost of efficiency, so it will play a lower note, but not as loud.

The more stuffing you put in the box, the higher the air pressure will be. Sometimes in an empty enclosure the pressure will bounce back into the woofers cone and cause distortion. When lining/stuffing is present, it will help minimize rebound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
ok so i have a box that is the right sq ft without stuffing when i put the stuffinmg in will it mess that up

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
ok so i have a box that is the right sq ft without stuffing when i put the stuffinmg in will it mess that up

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 285
A sealed box usually requires to be stuffed fairly dense. A ported box should be minimal (lining on walls, loose stuffing, and or both).

Stuffing will not take away box volume unless its too dense in a ported box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
so if im making a sealed box where should i put the stuffing...and i assume we're talking about poly fill

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 292
Yes, polly-fill. Just insert itside the box. You will need more than one bag. Fill the entire box with polly-fill except leave a little breathing room for the woofer (keep at least 3" clearance). The stuffing should be dense enough to stand up on its own.

For sealed boxes sometimes they recomend stuffed tight. Make sure that it bounces back after you put gentle pressure on it (like a pillow). That should make your suspension very crisp.

Bronze Member
Username: Rmzracer

Bentonville, Arkansas USA

Post Number: 11
in a sealed box i believe its about 1lb of poly fill for every cubic foot.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4437
and that will add 10 percent

Bronze Member
Username: Rmzracer

Bentonville, Arkansas USA

Post Number: 13
so 4lbs per cubic foot since it can increase up to around 40%??? thats a lil over kill man if im understandin.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
ok thanks

Anonymous

do ported boxes need stuffing ?

Bronze Member
Username: Hardhittinbass

Pittsburgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 31
say if i got a ported box with 3.85cu ft will it make it sound better an more bass

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
if its a tuned port you wouldnt want to mess with that. and hes right about 1cu = 1lb of polifil. best $7 ever spent. My enclosure was Sealed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us