Man this is crazy...

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 688
Well i went on a freshman orientation field trip 2day and we went 2 an imax theater(the big ginormous screen)and we watched somen about forces of nature wich has alot of bass.
Now the crazy part

Imagine using those speakersboxes in a car lol, they shook the whole building a little lol so y not 4 an spl car lol

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 689
Also sean...how does that tangband thing of urs hit lol....and whats the frequincy range on it and how much would u sell it for
its for a crazy project idea lol

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3324
well the tangband 6.5's in the abc box hit at least 127 db windows up at 43 hz for me but the handheld meter only goes up to 126 db and I pegged it and radioshack claims its off about -2 db at that frequency range so theoretically i can hit 129 db....the bad news is that i thought i was only driving 140 rms total into them but I was actually driving more like 280 rms total into them (my buddy wired the amp wrong and it isnt stable at 2 ohms only 4 ohm but it did it anyway)...The subs are only rated 60 rms each but took the power no sweat....the sq isnt as good as I would like and thats mysterious because the guy that built this first says his is great for sq...hes using a different amp than me and the bass boost is centered at 45 hz instead of my 40 hz...I plan on doing some experiments to adjust the sq of the box and get rid of the box rise in the 50 hz range that i believe is really messing with this box and also have a new port Idea that should boost the spl more...the other factor I have considered is my car is different than his so there is different acoustics involved...as far as selling it I could build you a new one using those subs they are 92 bucks and change for two of the subs shipped

Gold Member

Post Number: 3325
the box plays strong from from 32 hz to about 80hz in car

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 145
"well the tangband 6.5's in the abc box hit at least 127 db windows up at 43 hz for me but the handheld meter only goes up to 126 db and I pegged it and radioshack claims its off about -2 db at that frequency range so theoretically i can hit 129 db....the bad news is that i thought i was only driving 140 rms total into them but I was actually driving more like 280 rms total into them (my buddy wired the amp wrong and it isnt stable at 2 ohms only 4 ohm but it did it anyway)...The subs are only rated 60 rms each but took the power no sweat....the sq isnt as good as I would like and thats mysterious because the guy that built this first says his is great for sq...hes using a different amp than me and the bass boost is centered at 45 hz instead of my 40 hz...I plan on doing some experiments to adjust the sq of the box and get rid of the box rise in the 50 hz range that i believe is really messing with this box and also have a new port Idea that should boost the spl more...the other factor I have considered is my car is different than his so there is different acoustics involved...as far as selling it I could build you a new one using those subs they are 92 bucks and change for two of the subs shipped"

You're tuned a little high to give that sub much justice in the SQ department. The whole ABC idea really isn't all that great if you're going for SPL either. I'm interested in those Tang Bands myself. All i've heard is good things about them. I thought they use to make an 8" woofer, but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3327
"You're tuned a little high to give that sub much justice in the SQ department. The whole ABC idea really isn't all that great if you're going for SPL either. I'm interested in those Tang Bands myself. All i've heard is good things about them. I thought they use to make an 8" woofer, but I can't seem to find one anywhere."

my box is dual tuned and thats how the abc box works its tuned 32 hz first chamber 45 hz second chamber so im not tuned too high. Why do you say its not suited to high spl though?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8135
because an aperiodic enclosure, be it bi-chambered or not, is inefficient. Less efficient than a sealed box in fact, due to the resistance of teh membranes.

for SPL events, you want the most efficnent enclosure you can find, to get the most gain out of it with a given aamount of power, like a 6th order bandpass box. Having an increased mechanical power handling and masking distortion are benefits too.

the drawback with a 6th order for SPL is they're tuned around 60-70Hz and sound a lot like a frog with a really bad case of gas.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3328
which 8 inch this one

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w8-740c.htm

this one

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w8-740e.htm

or this one

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w8-933.htm
tangband

http://www.tb-speaker.com/

Ill look for other sites

Gold Member

Post Number: 3329
but glass im hitting about 129 db at 43 hz already are you saying I can do alot more

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 178
"because an aperiodic enclosure, be it bi-chambered or not, is inefficient. Less efficient than a sealed box in fact, due to the resistance of teh membranes."

What membranes?

Bronze Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 88
Like these RED. http://usdaudio.com/products/ap.php

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 182
I know what aperiodic membranes are, I was wondering what they had to do with sean's DCR box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3331
I think glass might have gotten things mixed up but well see
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us