Question about car speakers

Anonymous

In general, could they fill a room with sound? for instance, if you stuck kappa perfect 6.1s in a sealed box and gave them 150watts.. would they be loud? i was thinking about doing this instead of spending $1200 on a pair of good home audio speakers and another $500 on a good receiver. mainly because i won't be able to use my car for awhile and i have the tools needed to hook this stuff up at home. honestly, i don't believe that car speakers are designed for cabin gain or anything like that, i think they would be pretty loud but i wanted to see what you all thought.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8099
I'd rather have good home speakers.
better cabinets, designed for the drivers they use, and usually 8 ohms since that's the load most home receivers and amps are made to drive.

I love my KEF Reference and MartinLogan home speakers.. wouldn't trade either of em.

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 164
some of the better (not all) home speakers have 4 ohm impedence.. it might be cheaper to drive those with a car amplifier come to think of it. I see alot of home amplifiers that are very expensive for 400x2 at 4ohms as compared to a car amplifier with the same specs. But what i have been questioning lately is that, all of these car systems can get so loud, but why? i mean if i had the choice, i would go with what this guy is saying in a way. i would want to sit at home and be able to listen to my heart stopping system.. but most home speakers are rated for 120 watts, i see that number all over the place.. amps, speakers, you name it, most of them are all 120-150 watts. what brought me to this forum was mainly fryguy and his PSU idea that he documented and made diagrams for. Glasswolf, you said you had martinlogan speakers.. they look pretty nice.. what model do you have?

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 249
Hey Anonymous,

Why don't you just do it? Build an enclosure for your 6.1's and hook up your system. You will learn.

Are you affraid?

You will learn a lot. The more you experiment, the finer your ear will be tuned. Otherwise you will always be mislead by others in accepting what they believe is good true sound.

I have a feeling this Anonymous is a regular arround here and, just wants to see a different thread........ sounds so well thought out............

I think he is affraid to show his true identity, and is ashamed that he has to stoop to this level.

Anonymous

what level? is it such a bad thing that i want to hook up my speakers in my house?

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 274
No, he's saying your smarter than what we really think you are and that you are someone we know just trying to see different threads once in a while.

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 275
I say try it and come back and post your results.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8107
yes my KEFs and MartinLogans are 4 ohm drivers, but it took some work and a fair amount of money to get a good amplifier to drive tehm.

by the time you buy a regulated power supply capable of driving a car amp in a house for sustained high current applications, you're going to blow $500-1200+ on the power supply.
It's not going to be much cheaper.
you're still better off spending $300 for an AV receiver. a car's power amplifier bases wattage on a 12 volt power supple. a home amp bases that wattage on a 120VAC power supply. that makes a difference in how the power is generated.

anyway I have a feeling you've already convinced yourself of whatever it is you seem to think, so do whatever you like.
I get tired of telling people they're retarded for trying to make a car audio system work in a dorm or a bedroom because they wrecked their car and are too cheap or poor to buy the right gear to do what they want.

have fun whatever teh outcome

Anonymous

no need to flame me, glasswolf. my only question as of now is why would it be retarded? about the power supply, my dad works for a company that makes power supplies called wintech, not sure if that is spelled correctly but same pronunciation. i see you are usually very foward with your reasoning on this forum, but not for my question, just tell me; why is it retarded? i mean, car audio is meant for the car, just like what? homework is meant for home? but really, i bet theres a technical reason that you just aren't telling me, go ahead and tell me. reason is power! :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 39
My KEF c95's use 6 ohm drivers

But I mostly listen to my Celestion SL600 with there matching cool asz woofers!

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8132
the c series are different. any of the Reference towers are going to be 4 ohm towers, from the 1980s and before up through the current models.

I get tired of answering the same question over and over about car audio at home. car speakers don't work well in homes, car amps don't work that well in homes, and trying to make them work just ends up looking very ghetto.
If you'd searched the forums for this topic you'd have seen it comes up constantly and all of your questions would have been answered with a simple search of this site and google. What I really dislike is laziness and people wanting everyone else to waste their time so that one person doesn't have to lift a finger and do a search for their own answer. It gets on my nerves, and people using car audio for home systems is one of my pet peeves.. which you're discovering.
I'm flaming the practice in general.. not you as an individual.

I did give you reasons, like power supply topology. you're converting back and forth between AC to DC to to DC to AC again which is very inefficient and just not a good way to work.
wastes power.
Car speakers are also generally made for infinite baffle settings which doesn't apply well to cabinets since the driver design, due to pole venting and so forth, doesn't lend itself to going both ways.
car subs can work in home audio, but you need a plate amp that can drive the sub, and you need to design the right box to do it.
also you're going to have to build totally different passive filter networks for the speakers to work well in home settings since home audio speakers tend to use very shallow slopes at different ranges than the steeper slopes used for car settings.

its not worth the time, or the effort.
noww if you want to use stuff designed for home audio but you want it cheap, go look at partsexpress.com
they have all the supplies you need for DIY projects

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 251
Glass,

No use in stooping to their level. An inquiring mind will do what it takes to do the job. People looking for free handouts are lazy like you said, and don't deserve help.

I saw this coming thats why I posted my reply the way I did. To him its an easy way to jump on someone elses back and feed like a parasite. Some people think its smart to live like that because they havent put an effort into it and have been able to still get something out of it. Thats right! There are a small percentage of people that will put the effort into something because it is the right thing to do. The rest are just parasites.

Anonymous

i am not a parasite, i just wanted a reason why i shouldn't do this.. if someone tells you to do something and they don't give a reason.. you usually ask why? you don't just do it. you need a reason to push you in the direction which they suggested. "because i said so" is not a reason accepted by me, and it shouldn't be accepted by anyone else either. True, i have actually read some of the other threads reguarding this, but i have no come across where they discussed how it actually sounds, just how to set it all up. That reason you gave me up there is enough and more to make me halt the idea, i just wanted to make sure you weren't telling me 'because i said so' when you were telling me not to do it in the previous posts. Actually, i wouldn't have even asked this question if it WASNT for my browsing this forum, mixneffect, your 'holier than thou' attitude towards me needs to stop, i am not your common newbie saying 'HOW 2 HOOKUP CAR SUBS IN THE HOUSE I WANT IT TO SHAKE MY STREET U KNOW BOOM BOOM OMG BRB BBQ' those are the people you can call parasites, idiots, and whatever else you want.

Anonymous

in addition to my previous post, thank you very much glasswolf, i didn't mean to steam you. i will begin looking at a new receiver and some speakers, looking at axiom right now.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 150
Anonymous,

Check out the Dayton drivers at parts express. They offer varioius sizes of speakers. Also, the PE plate amps will work well for a subwoofer if you decide to add one on later.

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 181
Geez! Give the guy a break. It's not an unreasonable question. No one gets this much flack for posting all those stupid how loud is a xxxx type questions or all the questions that everyones seen a zillion times before that one search of tis forum or google would answer in a second.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4269
Anonymous, you sound as if you haven't bought the Perfects yet. Because of that, I recommend you go to www.madisound.com Look at their raw driver offerings, those are some of the best drivers available for home audio. No difference from speakers that cost thousands of dollars, only stipulation is that you buy your own box. But in many cases, kits are offered and all you have to do is install the drivers and go from there. There aren't any bad manufacturers on there, but particularly look at Scan-Speak and SEAS. You'll see those in home systems in the thousands. Many of those companies even offer specific box designs for their drivers to make it easy, and crossover schematics.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4270
Typo, meant to type build your own box instead of buy your own box. Sorry.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8154
its not unreasonable I agree. it's jut asked SO often..

you're still welcome to try this.. especially having access to the DC power supplies, which is the big cost factor, but I think for a home cabinet, drivers like those daytons will be cheaper or the same price, and will perform better in a solid wood cabinet. you'd be a lot happier.

I don't mind people wanting to know why something will or won't work. I just get antsy when I gie reasons and some folks don't listen, or get so dead set on trying something that they try to rationalize their way around any reason I offer to the contrary. At that point I give up and let em go.. then they do one of three things.
they give up, they grow wiser through failed experience, or they prove me wrong.
Mostly, they just get wiser :-)

wisdom comes from making mistakes though, as it was once said, and I've made plenty myself over the years seeing what will or won't work. sometimes you just have to see for yourself though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us