I set the gains with a DMM, how come the voltage is different when bridged???

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3130
I finally set the gains on my Orion amp with a DMM and a little math, but I was curious and touched the probes onto the connections that would make the amp bridged. I have the 2 channels set for about 28.5 volts with the deck at 3/4 volume, so how come when I bridge it, it doubles, to 57 volts? I meen, I can understand why it would double, since your bridging it, but shouldn't the voltage stay the same as one channel? If not, what do I change so that when bridged I'm seeing 28.5 volts at the speaker terminals?

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 112
Hey joe, I wouldnt even bother responding to that guy, he's just some shmuck looking for attention probably. Wish i could help you out though, I am curious as to the answer to this question too.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8086
simple answer. when an amplifier is bridged, you're measuring from the positive voltage rail to the negative voltage rail as opposed to measuring from positive to ground when the amp is in stereo.
That's how an amp works when it's bridged.. by inverting one channel and using the negative voltage rail as the lower half of the sine wave for the signal.. so in essence you're measuring peak to trough instead of peak to center.

here's an explanation with pictures of the waveform to explain a bit more clearly:
http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3137
Yeah, I know I should just ignore him. But he's been ragging on me in other threads too... can't I ask a few questions for once? I think I've helped enough people, and I'm far from being an expert.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3138
Ok, yeah I understand Glass. So should I just set the 2 channels to what I want and don't worry about the voltage when bridged?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8088
ignore the kid. paying any attention to him just feeds the problem.
This board used to be filled with little pukes like this, flaming everyone just because they can post without bothering to register, and there's no real way to moderate tehm without membership.
Things cleaned up just by the majority of the users being more mature and wanting a better environment to participate in, but there's always a punk or two left hiding under a rock somewhere with nothing to do since school is out and their parents, if they have any, are probably too drunk to care what they do all day.

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 113
I think you hit the point exactly glass, heh

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8121
"So should I just set the 2 channels to what I want and don't worry about the voltage when bridged?"
just set the gains with the amp unbridged, and don't worry about the change when you do bridge it, yes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us