Can a Bridge my subs and my amp?

Username: Corey6996

Oakville, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Hey I was wondering if I can bridge my amp and my subs. I am using a Pionner GM5100T 2 Channel Amp. It says when bridged its 380 Watts. So If I bridge my subs will i blow the amp??? The subs are 4 Ohms and the Amp when bridged is 4 Ohms also so could I blow it??? If you guys could msg me in the forum that would be awesome. Oh also i am using Prymamid Phase 3 12" Subs they are temporary gettin Infinity 12" in 2 weeks. They are 300W.

Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 5
you'll have to be careful and make sure you hook up your subs so that the amp sees a 4 ohm load. It depends on what infinity subs you'll be getting and how many. check out http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-lu67sjIAo1v/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html and make sure you hook up for a 4 ohm load

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8055
you won't gain anything br bridging the amplifier because when bridged, it's only stable to 4 ohms, and you have two 4 ohm subs. That means your final load with both subs is going to be 2 ohms (too low) or 8 ohms (same power as running stereo with one sub on each channel.)

what you want to consider is getting another pioneer amp just like the one you have now, bridging both, and running one sub on each amp bridged, so you get 380 watts per sub
the Infinities will do well with 380 watts each, since you'll be giving them a bit less than that during normal use.. you shouldn't have any issues with the slight overpowering.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8056
alternatively, if you refuse to buy a second amplifier, here's the solution:

use only one pyramid sub for now, with the amplifier bridged. the output will be the same as having two subs, each getting half the power anyway.
when you get the Infinity subs, get each one with dual 4 ohm coils, or single 2 ohm coil. I forget which way they are offered. I believe its 4 ohm DVC

then you'll have a 4 ohm final load with both subs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us