Does more subs mean louder system?

intensive care
Unregistered guest
i heard people say some times more is not better .... i mean i want to get two more 15s so i will have 4 all togather all 4.5 and ported. how much of a db increas are we talking about... i have a 210 alt and a huge cap and 2 ppi pcx 2400 ...so 800 a sub maybe more
kind of what i am asking is it better to buy better subs or get more..will two realy hig spl subs beat 4 avrage spl subs?

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 123
It all really depends. What vehicle will you be using?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3319
if you double your cone thats 3 db usually and doubliing your power is 3 db usually

intensive care
Unregistered guest
2002 cadillac deville but i took down the back seat.. i mean i can put it back up but i have the subs firing to me?

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 125
Well, if you've got the space to do a proper sized ported box for 4 15's then go for it.

intensive care
Unregistered guest
mut by how much hader will it hit? is it worth the money?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8072
more isn't always better because while you're adding cone area, you also need more power which means more current draw and a bigger alternator.
it also means you're increasing the chance for cancellation.
I've seen cars at SPL events do more damage with a single 12" sub than some kids could manage with four 15" subs and twice the power.
Application is more important than just buying more speakers.

two good fifteens (as opposed to four cheap ones) should give you more than enough bass in that Seville. You just need to get some good fifteens and plenty of power to drive them.
Also, you'd have a much better looking system with two subs. cleaner, more trunk space left for the components etc, and a lot more stylish for a Caddie.

I still say if you ran two good SQL oriented subs in that car ported, you'd hit hard enough to go crosseyed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3320
The bottom line cheapest way to more spl is research study and experimentation and its not always more cone more power. Think of it this way if a company like powered for sound can get massive spl and sq out of two 6.5's and 200 rms then there more to it than power and cone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3321
or even large amounts of cone excursion which i now believe is detrimental to sound quality and the life of the speaker

Gold Member

Post Number: 3322
not to mention fat sourounds needed for large amounts of excursion take away cone area until sufficient xmax is achieved

intensive care
Unregistered guest
my system is loud as it is but.... i just want to go the extra mile i got a HO alt for my car and it is a deville not seville and the best i could get was 210 and i have not even put it in. they have to take out the hole engine to get at the alt.. so i am just wating till the factory gos out. or untill i make up my mind on what to get... i have quite glue and dynomat the car to death. and have 4 6-9.... 3 horns 5 tweters 4- 5 and a quaters... and my sub are l5 15 ported and running at this time is ppi 2400 and 600 ppi now this car is a spl car i have another for sq......this one is like my show car other one is for work mine has rim and x box and tv what ever...to me i thought kicker would be my best bet for spl? the only thing i can think of is sealing off the trunk? i have the box firing into the cab but the trunk is not sealed off. and before i go and start building and spening money i want to think abouut ask qustions...

so what could i do to add more to spl?

intensive care
Unregistered guest
/Users/wiley/Desktop/IMG_0037.JPG

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8080
man I told ya what to do for more SPL
you could go bandpass instead of ported as well

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8081
other option for 4 15" subs is a wall behind the front seats
you lose everything from there back, but you'd get the space to do it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us