Glasswolf

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 153
You said you had RE XXX12's, and are using them in a sealed enclosure? Have you tried them in a ported enclosure? If so, how do the 2 compare? I've been debating what to put my XXX12 in for about 3 weeks now, it's just sitting on my floor with no home =(. maybe you can help me decide! i have never heard a ported enclosure before, always listened to sealed, and always loved it. i'm afraid to experiment with my money for a ported enclosure, if you know what i mean! help me out lol

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8047
if you want good SPL out of them, go ported, yeah.

mine are sealed because they're in an aperiodic enclosure, which is actually about -3dB quieter tahn a straight sealed box, but for SQ, it's amazing.. the instrument detail is supurb and the driver control is fantastic. The AP enclosure also helps to eliminate any 2nd and 3rd order coloration.
The drawback is a fairly large enclosure, the requirement of having a trunk that's sealed and separated from the cabin, and the difficulty in building the box.
That and the subs are concealed within the enclosure so you never see them.

for most applications, I'd say go ported. tune the box around 25-28Hz. not any higher.
you'll get a great result

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 154
i suppose change can be for the better.. so if i tune it low enough you don't think i'll get the boomy carrying bass? it'll be more tight and accurate? that's what im looking for, i listen to more rock than anything.. and i don't want my box turning all of my kick drums into ..well ..gongs! lol. ill trust whatever you say after this, just wanted to make sure you knew! thanks glasswolf

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 451
what is this enclosure glass? an aperiodic box? is it basicly a bandbass box but with both ends sealed.. i wouldnt mind making one for an sq box

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8069
tune the box low for what you're after.. it'll sound tight and deep. tuning to higher frequencies like 40-45Hz gives you that boomy sound.

aperiodic uses a membrane over the subs to add resistance and control over the driver movement.
http://www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=18
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us