Glasswolf -Type X speakers

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 448
i wanted to ask your opinion on this if you have dealt with them at all .. i asked john but he hasnt had any experience with them.. i was thinking about getting the 6 1/2's plus alpines new 6 1/2 X midbass driver, i want some solid midbass up front... i was strongly considering the jl xr's at first but after hearing them in the store i thought they were really bright kind of annoying almost .. is that because of the metal tweeter or crossover settings?? anyway im babbling now id just like to hear your input on them

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8037
yeah the XRas are bright. that's their tweeter, but many like it because they're clear and sharp.
overcomes positioning a bit if a softer tweeter would sound muffled due to road noise etc

haven't really used the type X components myself, but alpine makes nice speakers at the higher levels.

gpz1100
Unregistered guest
I have these in the doors of my camaro. The tweeters are on the back side of the mirrors (see http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/950/06tweeter22ia.jpg )

I wouldn't really say the tweeters are that bright in that location. In fact, I got the crossover tweeter adjustment at the max (+2 dB). I think most stores have the tweeters right next to the woofers, which doesn't help separation much and adds to the speakers sounding too bright.

Overall very impressed with the sound quality. Quite detailed.

After an initial install of just the spr-177r's and a 10" sub, I've since added the alpine type R coaxails to the rear seat area of the car (SPR-17LP) for rear fill. The combination is just awesome.

Very full detailed sound, slight fader setting to the front for stage adjustment.

As for power, have an amp capable of at least 100W rms. Those type X speakers are not the most efficient.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 452
thx glass...hmm my car is fairly noisy ... itd be nice to hear the engine and get the best out of your speakers at the same time heh.. maybe il dynamat the whole car..
gpz how do u like the 17lp's? i was seriously unimpressed with the new type r speaker lineup.. the midbass is seriously lacking compared to last years and last years sounded clearer imo.. why dont u think the type x's are effecient?? they are only 70 w rms , i herd them in store with 50 going to them and they sounded amazing .. the bass commin out of them was really punchy and they were soundin great

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8065
side note
" I think most stores have the tweeters right next to the woofers, which doesn't help separation much and adds to the speakers sounding too bright."

this is incorrect.
you want the tweeter and midrange to be as close to each other as possible to improve imaging. Since they are crossover so as not to overlap, there would be no effect on the brightness between the mid and tweeter. They cover different frequency ranges.
What doesn't help separation is having bad speaker locations that prevent the listener from hearing both left and right channels equaly.. things blocking the sound like passengers, steering columns, center consoles, etc.
in stores, you have a totally different environment, with a huge room, a lot of noise, and usually all 4 speakers stuck into a plywood demo board with no way of providing good imaging or performance for the speakers.

the type Xs, as with most higher end components, need more power because they have larger magnet structures to give better cone control and superior lower midrange and midbass performance. In order to get teh cones to move enough air though, that requires power.
it's not so much a matter of efficiency as it is just a matter of moving enough air to perform the way they are meant to.

My dynaudio 3 ways are fairly efficient, but we're still talking about 2 channels to drive 6 speakers and 2 crossovers, with 8" midbass, 3" mid, and 1" tweeter in each door.. so after all that even with a fairly efficient driver design, I'm feeding them 250 watts x 2 so they really shine.

gpz1100
Unregistered guest
Mark S,

I don't think I'd use the 17LP's as primary fronts, but for rear fill they sound fine to me. I do have them HP'd @ 125 or 150 Hz.

Midbass wise (which is what, ~ 60 Hz to 200 or so Hz), I think the combo sounds fine.

I have the front 177r's HP'd 80, and the 17LP's function is mainly rear fill with some midbass.

In addition to the reasons stated above, the 177r's also lose efficiency because they go through a passive crossover. There are losses (esp I^2R in the coils -- heat) present.

Glasswolf. You are right about speaker locations. Most display boards are situated directly in front of the listener. Standing directly in front is not how we listen to speakers in the car (door speakers are on either side of the listener, not in front of).

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8077
the acoustics of a showroom don't help any either
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us