Gains on amp

Anonymous

installed an Alpine CDA9833 HU (4V preamp output), 1 Kicker KX400.1 (mono block) and 1 Kicker KX600.4 (4 channel amp).
The 4 ch amp is running a pair of infinity splits (kappa) at the front and a pr. of Infinity Coaxial (reference) at the rear. Set the rear to "HiPass" on the amp and "Off" for the fronts. On the gains I've set both on half, X-Over freq. at 100hz on both and Bass Boost set at minimum. When i turn up the volume on the HU to 17, the music starts to lose itself. Is my amp too powerful for such speakers or should i lower the gain on both amp1 and amp2 on the KX600.4? Are my X-Over freq., Bass Boost and Hi-Lo Filter set correctly? Btw, the Alpine HU has a maximum volume of 35.
I've got no problems with the KX400.1 driving 2 Kicker 05DVC12" subs.
Sorry for being such a pain but could some1 help me out. thanks

Anonymous

i know u have to set your amp gain to that of your HU (4V) but my amp gain doesn't have a "v" next to the gain, just 0 to 11.

can any1 help?? pls

Username: Jfo68106

Post Number: 8
You said your amp gain only reads from 0 to 11, what number is it set at now ? Are you sure your preamp output voltage from your head unit Alpine 9833 is 4v? Even though I can't find the specs for that particular head unit, I see that not even the Alpine 9843 or 9853 have preout outputs voltage of 4v, it is 2volts.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8012
the 9833 is 4 volts.
I have one sitting here as we speak.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8013
define the term "music loses itself"

set gains at minimum to one quarter turn at most.
you're using 4V preouts and I believe that's the peak input voltage for your amplifiers.
that means gains should be set very low.

XO points are fine but check to see how the head unit's own XO points are all set, and turn off any EQing or the music MX feature or whatever it was called, I forget.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8014
also be sure to disable or turn off the internal amp on the alpine, to reduce heat, and set "subw" level to at least +3 to +5
setting that at 0 lowers the line out voltage to about 1.7V
F and R preouts aren't affected and are 4V at 0 level

Anonymous

The sound begins to distort when i crank it above 17 on d HU that's when d music lose itself. haven't toyed the XO on the HU, looks too confusing and i think that HU is an overkill 4 me. hehe But got it coz' it looks wicked.

I've turn the Power IC to "off", engage in Blackout mode and have just turn d gains (on the amp) to 1/4. However there r no numbers in between other than 0 for minimum and 11 for maximum. I've also did what u have said Glass. Do i have to match the XO on the amp to that of the HU?

It goes above 17 now w/out losing composure but above 21 it does it again. Am i going deaf that i have to turn it soo loud or my Kicker amp just not "clean" enough? :p

thanks for helping out Glass. Love ya respond to most threads.

ps: any bad reviews on that Alpine CDA9833? Hope i made a good choice.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8020
II used the 9833 in my 94 jeep for quite a while before I stripped the system to sell the jeep.
its a solid unit.

ok so we've gotten some improvement so we're on the right track.
you really need to set the head unit XO, slope, and level for all 3 output pairs.. that's probably what's messing with you.
in fact using the ehad unit you can bypass the amplifier's XO entirely and just max it out at 120Hz or whatever and forget it.

I'd probably set it something like..
fronts:
HPF, 80Hz, 12dB slope (I think that was a "2"?)
front output level "0"
rears:
100 or 120Hz with 12dB slope and "0" level
0 is no gain, no cut.. just 'normal'
subs:
60Hz or 80Hz, 18dB slope (3?) and subw level of +5 for starters.. set the sub level to where it sounds good without being too much.

that may fix things

Anonymous

eh thanks dude. I'll do just that & hope all works in my favour. hehe
U reckon i should mess with that Time Correction thingy?

Once again thanks a bunch Glass. :-):-)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8035
nah that's the last thing to fool with and usually should be left alone unless you have a good RTA to measure time delay and set it all properly.. not by ear.
if this doesn't work, we'll try something else

Silver Member
Username: Eclipse2005

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 158
Glasswolf, sorry to get into this convo, but i just wanted to understand how the gain knob work...i mean what if my HU is 8 volts RCA out, am i supposed to turn the gain volume on the amp high or keep it low?? i dont get it

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8040
gain is actually properly called "input sensitivity"
it allows you to balance the amp's input stage to the line voltage of the RCAs.
if you have a high voltage RCA signal, turn the gain down to minimum. that makes teh input stage less sensitive, so the voltage balances out to what the amplifier can accept without clipping.

www.bcae1.com has tutorials on this.

Silver Member
Username: Eclipse2005

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 159
Thanks a lot :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us