Questions about mono amps. need help.

Username: Jfo68106

Post Number: 5
When the specs for a mono amp say "400 x 1 rms @ 4ohms , 600 x 1 @ 2 ohms", does that mean for one sub, I would be running it at 400x1 ? Someone told me that for mono amps, you run it at 4ohms if you are powering 1 sub and 2 ohms if you are powering 2 subs, is this correct ? Would I have to see that the sub is 2ohm compatable ?

-Right now I am powering two Alpine 12' type E's that are supposed to be 250w rms (600w max) with an Alpine v12 605 amp and the specs I found on Bestbuy.com say: 400W RMS x 1 @ 2 ohms, 12V, and 250W RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms, 12V. While in my manual, it just says 400 x 1 @ 4 ohms, 600w X 1 @ 2ohms (this is probably at 14v). How would I know which specs are accurate and what I'm running it at? Also, would I be putting the wrong amount of power to my subs?

- Sorry if i worded everything a bit confusing, I'm new with this and would appreciate helpful feedback. Alright thanks allot.

Username: Jfo68106

Post Number: 6
Here's one more question I got, a mono amp, just means it runs two subs as 1 channel right or does it split the power ? If there's any confusion about my questions, just let me know and I'll respond asap. Thanks allot.

xdrummer03
Unregistered guest
The tags wrong then on the MRD-605. It does 600rms@2ohm.2ohms which 2 Type E Alpines will be at(if there 4omh subs). Yeh you have wrong amount to subs.The biggest you need is the V-Power MRP-M350.

Anonymous

what excatly does OHM mean? how does it work when saying, for example, a 8 OHM sub working off a 4 OHM amp?

Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 4
OK lots of questions first on a mono amp you can set it up different ways if your subs are 4 ohms you can hook up just one and run at 4 ohms or two in parallel(run a wire from positive of amp to pos on first sub then continue to pos on second sub, and same for neg.) which would give you two ohms.

last question an ohm for speakers is a measurement of impedance (to current flow) if you want to know what you have check out
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-TSgrFU7SIa6/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html. it will tell you what options you have.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8063
www.bcae1.com explains ohms, impedance/resistance, and power output from amplifiers.

the Ohm is a unit of measure of resistance or impedance in electricity. the more ohms, the higher the resistance to the flow of electrons through a wire.

there is a lot to consider when buying subs and an amp.
how many subs you want
how much power each sub you want can handle
what amplifier puts out the amount of power you need
what impedance your sub(s) need to be for the amplifier you choose

this is one reason sales people, if they know what they're doing, can be helpful when you have zero understanding of basic electricity.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us