Kicker subs

WC
Unregistered guest
I thought those were some of the best subs you can get, but now I am hearing that they are loud but dont sound that great. What is that all about because when I redo my system I was thinking of buying some of their square subs.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 320
L5 and L7's are the ones you're hearing about. They're not very good for SQ.

Bronze Member
Username: Livinloud7

Post Number: 28
A lot of debate over there square design, but if SPL is your thing, then maybe its for you.

WC
Unregistered guest
L5 and L7, the only thing there is left are the Solo X, and I am not going to pay $500+ for subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Not exactly sure where the "there" is, but Ebay is a good idea if your after the L5's/L7's...

WC
Unregistered guest
So they are lound but dont sound good? What do you mean dont sound good, what do they sound like? I dont think I have heard a bad sub before.

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
I've tried a lot of different subs, and heard a TON of different subs, and can't get over the Eclipse Ti's. I love 'em!

WC
Unregistered guest
Anything else?

Treo?Kicker?
Unregistered guest
TREO'S!!!!!!!!!!!!! SSI model

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7968
all of kicker's square subs, the solo X included have design issues.
they have shallow excursion, lead-slap and separation problems, and surround failure issues.
they do get loud. they don't sound that good.

although to a lot of people, loud is all they care about, so loud is good.. personally I prefer accuracy and musical detail even at high volumes

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 99
And why is this in the amplifier section?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7985
Illiteracy

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Connecticut US

Post Number: 194
ok, WC I have two 12" L7's in my car with the kicker kx1200.1 and a HO alternator so all my electrical is perfect. they sound great, people say "there sound quality sucks" on this forum, and what is sound quality? PERSONAL OPINION thats all it is, SOUND QUALITY is what someone thinks they sound good or bad. I have plenty of experience with my kicker subs and they sound great to me, most the guys on here are all nit picky about SQ when its opinion based, thus is also why you get soo many arguements, and for every speaker or amp youll have someone out there saying it sucks. I have the L7's and youll like them trust me

Silver Member
Username: Jaackdeth

Burnett, WI United States

Post Number: 132
The only thing I can add to the kicker dilema is ebay is full of refurbished L7 and L5's for a reason! As for opinions, your right!

WC
Unregistered guest
SQ huh, hey if they sound aight then I'll buy them, L7 are the ones to buy I see, and I dont mind if they are refeb.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Just keep in mind how they are installed, and tuned because that will have an impact.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8011
a: sound quality isn't purely subjective. distortion is measureeable.
coloration is obvious, and so is failure rate.
while I'm glad you like your L7s, a lot of people like bose wave radios because they don't know any better and haven't ever heard a good audio system, too, so as you mentioned, opinions can be a two edged sword.

with about 15 years of professional and competition experience with just about anything and everything on the market though, I'd like to think I've got a fairly decent grasp on what's worth the invenstment and what isn't. For less money you could get very slightly lower SPL with better SQ and reliability by using Kicker's CompVR subs.
I've seen plenty of cars win SPL events with CVRs and still be able to listen to good music on the trip home

WC
Unregistered guest
Alright you see, I put this up because I am all about different shaped subs, never owned a pair of round subs, but then again I havent been into sound systems before. Ive just had use with Xtant. So you say the VRs are better, over all WHICH KICKER SUBS are the BEST?

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Connecticut US

Post Number: 196
rule 1 on ebay, dont buy referbished crap

WC
Unregistered guest
I dont think I will buy anything from ebay. I like to buy things from companies, so if something gets messed, I can go off and that person who I bought it from.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8044
there is a reason most speakers are round. it's not for looks. it's because the shape gives even stress all the way around the surface of the cone, so there's no uneven stress points to cause the cone to distort in shape at high excursion, which can color the response as well as cause actual mechanical damage if the motor travel loses linearity due to canting from stress at a given point being unequal to other areas.
end result is for the best, most linear and accurate response, you want a round driver. By accurate, I mean "transparent" or as close to the original performance as possible with no alteration of change to the signal being caused by the equipment used to reproduce the sound.

this is something very important to people concerned with 'sound quality' in both car and home audio systems.

it's really not a personal bias. it's physics.
there's a lot of physics and engineering in audio systems.. a lot more than most people without the backgrounds realize.
That's one reason I help out a lot here.. so people can get a better idea of how things work, so they can begin to figure stuff out for themselves by learning the basics of functionality for all of this.

Username: Xxjamesdxx

Post Number: 1
I got a question, I got a system now but I wanna upgrade. I was wanting to go 2 12' W7 solo barics but readin on here now sure. Wanting to spend around 700-1000 bucks for a system what would be the best subs and amp? Its going in a Tahoe dont know if that helps, thanx for the replys if you do and also thanx for the help.

WC
Unregistered guest
Hey Glass, is the Kicker CompVR CVR122 good? So do these pound or what?

Anonymous

I've got 2 of those (Kicker 05cvr122) and they pound, driven by a Kicker KX400.1. in a sealed box (1.2cubic ft) stuffed with 50% polyfill. Only thing i regret was not getting the next model up Kicker amp (KX600.1). hehe. That's becoz' the sub can handle more that what I'm feeding it now. Sounds great both sealed or ported (need proper / accurate design).
Get it with confidence. Heard that it's come down in price too making it affordable. Tops!

WC
Unregistered guest
Yea, the Kicker 05 huh, I was searching and came up with the nasty looking ones, the ones with the flames on it, the 05 ones look WAY better! So the crv122 are good?

Anonymous

yep. definately for that price. They pound hard. But pls don't compare with those heavy 20kg Eclipse or DD subs. Kicker 05 r good pound for pound. Get 4 of those and drive em with that Kicker 1200.1. hehe U got a killer machine.

Also like i've said works well ported or sealed.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8052
yes the CVR subs are terrific subwoofers for the price, and hit quite hard in a good ported box.

Anonymous

eh Glass what subs and amps do u use currently?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8053
two RE XXX 12" subs in an aperiodic enclosure driven by a pair of dedicated Orion 2250SX amplifiers I've tweaked internally to put out around 1300+ watts RMS each bridged @ 4 ohms.

Anonymous

that's some serious shid going on in that trunk of yours. hehe

What's ya SPL reading? SQ must be up there too huh.

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
Ah, GlassWolf is a tweaker too...

Anonymous

how do u guys tweak ya amp internally? Need a nuclear fusion degree for that???

How do i tweak my Kicker kx400.1?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8059
I built this car strictly for SQ without a thought for SPL really. That's why I used a third 2250SX for the front stage, and DynAudio system 360 3-ways for the front stage, audiocontrol EQTs for EQing, and the Alpine CDA-7990 as a source.

As for modifying amplifiers, having an EE degree helps in my case, as does having been an authorized dealer and repair center tech for Orion so I have the schematics for the amplifiers.
In my case all I really did was massage the power supply and output stage a bit to clean up the amplifier a bit further and get it to put out a bit more clean power. Nothing really extreme. They are rated for 1000wRMS x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged when new running at 12VDC, but they have unregulated power supplies, so running them at 14.4VDC increases the output accordingly as well.

Anonymous

nice of u to share that with us here. :-)

wish I have a friend who knows how to tweak like u over here instead all they r good at is tweaking their brewery plant to churn out great p!ss so we can dunk it all on a Sunday arvo. hehe

P!ss i can live w/out, car audio i can't. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
GlassWolf: it has an unregulated power supply? Jeez, I thought most amps were regulated (at least the good ones...) Also, how good are those Orions? And do you have a good one to run a 12" Eclipse Ti for cheap?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us