W6v2 vs idmax

Username: Vecc205

Post Number: 2
Looking to get either 2 12" JL Audio w6v2's or 2 12" IDMAX 12v3d2's. Which sub is better in terms of sound quality? Which sub is better in terms of output? I prefer more sound quality over output. What's my best choice? Thanks for the help.

Bronze Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 55
From camparisons I've heard, they are actually pretty similar in terms of SQ. I'm guessing the IDMax's will have better SPL juse because of the power handling capability. I used to have 2 JL's and now I have 2 Image Dynamics. I liked them both. Most likely you'll be satisfied no matter which way you go. However, since the IDMax's can handle 1000W RMS power, unless you have a pretty nice amp, or are looking to get one with that much output, than go with the JL's or you will be underpowering the IDMax's. The W6v2's recommended is only around 450W RMS.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 630
go id max trust me

Post Number: 3
I have 1 phoenix gold t1200.1 to power both subs. The birth sheet says 1500 watts at 4 ohms. So at 2 ohms I'm probably getting a little more. If I were to get the IDMAX's I'd get the d2 version and wire them series parallel for a 2 ohm load. Is 800 watts or so good enough for the IDMAX's in their recommended sealed box?

Bronze Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 63
Here's that amp that you listed:

RMS Power: 1200W x 1 @ 4 Ohms
RMS Power: 1400W x 1 @ 2 Ohms

You might be underpowering the IDMax's slightly, but I'm sure it'll still sound good, plus you'll have more room for expansion if you ever wanna buy another amp or something.

Post Number: 4
With the power I have what is a better choice for me, because some people were saying with the power I have, the w6v2 would be better, but I'm not to sure about that, because the IDMAX has a good sensitivity rating and 750-800 watts is close to its rated 1000 watts rms.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4254
Actually, 750-800 watts is optimal for an ID Max in a sealed box. Very good amount of power for a single ID Max. That would run 2 W6v2s or ID Maxes as well. ID Maxes work well with low power, even around 300W RMS is enough for one in a daily application. Remember that each doubling of power is equivalent to a 3db increase in output, meaning 500W will be only 3db down from 1000, and 250W will be 3db down from that. In everyday applications, you'll only use a couple of watts anyway.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us