System quit working................

Bronze Member
Username: Jerry4886

Post Number: 11
well i just installed my 2 audiobahns aw1251se 12" 400rms subs and my A8000t amp all set up for 2 ohms. well anyways it worked for about 45 min and now there is nothing. the amps protection light is on and there are no loose conections or blown fuses. i checked the subs and power wire for continuity and its all good. i have no idea what to do. also when the head unit is on (even when the music is paused) i can hear a steady (once a second) thump coming from the subs. it is real quiet though. anyone have any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 294
That's Audioburn for 'ya. It's probably your amp.

Username: Milkman6185

Post Number: 3
one of my freinds had a similar problem and he just solved it by moving his ground wire

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
so is it the amp? Subs? groundwire? any other opinions?

Bronze Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 23
Sounds like the protection is shutting down the amp.
Unhook the speaker wires at the amp and check them with an ohm
meter to make sure there not grounded to the car somewhere.
Also make sure your amps have good grounds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
well i took off the speaker wires and the ohm meter read 3.9 ohms. That i don't understand becasue it should have a 2 ohm load the way i wired the subs. anyways i took off my ground wire and connected it directly to the battery's neg. terminal (which seems to me to be the best ground possible) and it still didn't work but the "thumping" i heard once a second before speed up to like 3 or 4 times a second. so my ground probably wasn't the best but it still doesn't work. Any idea's? how would i check to see if my subs and/or amp is blown?

ihaveasystem2
Unregistered guest
Put your amp back to 4 ohms and strap your ground to your chasse and the thump should stop and the protection light should shut off and the amp should kick back on if so your amp might be too small for 2 ohms or your subs cant hang with it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
well my amp is the A8000T which is 2 ohm stable and puts out 800rms. the subs are each 400 rms so why wouldn't it be fine? besides that, i had my ground directly to the neg. terminal on the battery which is already a proven ground on the frame. i'm thinking maybe the amp is fried? or maybe the subs? Can someone help me before i have to take it somewhere and pay to have it done?

ihaveasystem2
Unregistered guest
All I can say is get yourself a better amp look at ppi anps or often known as Precision power and how do you run 2 speakers at 2 ohms shouldent it be 1 ohm

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 273
nooo.did you just say that you had the ground cable(black) connected to the negative terminal of your battery? if you do your not supposed to do that your supposed to connect it to a piece of metal and the wire shouldnt be longer than like about 18 inches

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
first of all, i already spent money on subs and an amp so I'm not going to throw all of that away and buy something else. As for quickshot, where do u think the negative terminal of a battery goes? If your negative terminal wasn't grounded, your vechile would not run. Just think what happens when u disconect your negative wire from your battery. either way, I only connected it to there using a jumper cable as a test for my ground.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 274
o man i thought you said you grounded your amp to the negative terminal...my bad cause if you did then that wouldve been a problem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
so is there seriously nobody out there that knows what could be wrong or what to check for?

Silver Member

Post Number: 339
Try hooking someone else's sub to your amp. If they work, then it's the subs, if not, then it's your amp. But try to factor everything else out BEFORE you replace anything. It could be a faulty wire somewhere, and buying a new amp and come to find out it was a bad wire... I know I wouldn't be a happy camper...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
well if it was a faulty wire how come it still works for a continutity test? every wire I tested was good which proves to me that there is no short circuit in the wiring. the more i think about it, i am thinking that the problem lies within the amp and/or sub(s). i just don't know how to test it without hooking someone elses equipment up to mine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
Yup. Unless you have a scope, you're not gonna be able to tell. Maybe see what the impedance is of the subs?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us