What dbs do bass comps reach?

Bronze Member
Username: Kicker

Slave lake, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 15
i was wondering what the dbs at comp shows get down THE big guys and what they have?
live in small town and work lots so dont get to see much shows.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2450
I think it just depends on which class.
All I know is the world record is 178DB's and some change. Thats with over 100000 watts.

Silver Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 133
http://realmofexcursion.com/videos.html scroll down to the bottom and check out some of the comp vehicles

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
thats crazy and thats what i want!! thanks for the site Oso

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
np i stumbled upon it when i started in this forum but if thats what you want i.e. the comp vehicles be prepared to drop some serious coin but why would you want a system only capable of "burps"?

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
np i stumbled upon it when i started in this forum but if thats what you want i.e. the comp vehicles be prepared to drop some serious coin but why would you want a system only capable of "burps"?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
well you can always turn down the bass for every day driving and whats money for spending right!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7896
why do you want to hit the 170s rigger?
have you ever honestly been in a car in the 150s?
trust me when I tell you it's literally painful. you can't stay in the car at volumes in even the 140s for any length of time without pain and permanent damage to your hearing.
these 170s vehicles are all extreme modified classes and have tens of thousands of dollars invested in them.
Most are trailered to events, not drivable, and nobody sits in the cars during metering.. it's all done remotely with mics and meters and wireless remote to control the volume for the burps.
The SPL scores are also only reached for a brief moment, called burping. They can't sustain these volumes for more than a few seconds and to hit these scores they are not musical vehicles. They are strictly made to be loud, without any regard at all to how it actuall sounds. The enclosures are tuned too high for musicality and sound like totall a$$ when you listen to them with music.

just some things to think about before saying ya want a car like that

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
mine is at 136dbs and it does not bother me at all i love it

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
theres a big diffrence between 136 and 170's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
ya i know but i have always been excessive at what i do just like my bought it brand new and with in 3 months i got $4000 off after market stuff on honda foreman 4x4

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
i understand what you are saying though EXCESSIVE!!

Bronze Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 99
How many decibles does it take to give someone a heart attack.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3060
I really don't think people understand how loud, and what 130, 140, 150, and up db's feel like. Everybody can have their opinions, but I'm sure most people THINK they hit higher than they actually do too. I'm sure if most people sat in a car that hit 145 dbs, they would be shocked at how loud it is.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
? do you know?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3061
Yes, I have sat in a car that reached 145 db's, but it was only for a quick burp, as I'm not stupid enough to listen to it that loud for extended periods of time. The very first really loud system I had ever heard was a guy with a couple 15" somethings, can't remember. He had hit 140 something at a comp., and I sat in his car for a couple songs. I know he probably wasn't hitting the 140 he got on the mic, but trust me, I couldn't believe just how loud it really was.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
your eyes jiggle is one way to say it! every thing is shaking even the trees well so it seems from in the truck

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 620
man i was in a car that hit 150 man and i was in it for like 3 seconds and i got out and held my ears and it brought terars 2 my eyes lol...its was a honda civic with 2 18 inch planent audio fu's in it and 1 15 inch american bass vfl but it was the vfl that was loud...we unhooked the planet audios

Bronze Member
Username: Invictuz

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 84
I had my jeep capable of 136db for a couple of month.
I thought it was incredible when i had passengers (several D-n-B / Breaks DJs who are accustom to loud sustained bass) tell others how hard it would hit.... but honestly after about 3-4 minutes a numbness would begin to set in and i have already begun buying stock in audiotech healthcare.

even the lowly 136db is loud enough to blow the rear liftgate lights of my jeep monthly.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7907
155dB can stop a heart.
my current car is in the low 150s, although it's strictly built as a SQ vehicle. I've had IASCA vehicles in the 140s that nobody would turn up to full volume while sitting in the car.. 136dB is loud. 139dB would require TWICE the amount of power you're running now, if that gives you any idea of how difficult it is to go from 130s to 140s, etc.. +10dB is roughly equal to ten times the power for the system. This means if you have 1000 watts total to hit 136, if you wanted to reach an SPL of 146, you'd need 10,000 watts of power.
here's a chart of relative comparisons of SPL and common events
http://home.new.rr.com/trumpetb/audio/dBexamp.html

I'm just trying to get you to be sure of what you're after. If you want a system that's really loud and musical and one you can listen to while you're driving, aim for the 140s.. if you want a vehicle you can't sit in, and can only run at events and competitions on a professional meter, but that you can brag about to friends, sure, shoot for the 170s and plan to spend a lot of money you could've used for more important things.. like getting laid or buying a nice car.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 676
"like getting laid"

I tried to avoid spending money to get that :P

Bronze Member
Username: Tylermoncrief

Post Number: 43
Ok...Say I got a 12" Solo X
And I power it to 2400 Watts (100 below rms)
in a ported box, inside a 92 Explorer

What do you think would the db scale hit

And could you compare it to something
I want nothing but SPL...I dont care for sound quailty

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2481
What type of car is it going in... what is the box going to be tuned too... and isn't it 5000 watts rms?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2482
Lol, I sat in a truck that was in the 150's. Doors shut, and windows up... lets just say I didn't stay in there long. I actually freaked out. Don't know why... its a weerd feeling.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Its going into a 92 Ford Explorer. Box tuned to 38Hz...for the Solo X 12"s the rms is 2500 and peak is 5000...So their site says

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Its going into a 92 Ford Explorer. Box tuned to 38Hz...for the Solo X 12"s the rms is 2500 and peak is 5000...So their site says

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7917
"I tried to avoid spending money to get that :P"

this may be why it isn't happening much then. women do like it when you spend a little on them, too ya know! especially when it comes to things like food, or shopping. hehe trust me, women will cost ya more than any car or home ever will.. haha

as for SPL, you'll never know till you get it metered. No way to tell before that. Too many variables.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 706
The US navy is 240db...of LFA

Now try and beat that one....Upload

http://www.lowertheboom.org/trice/infrasound.htm

http://www.acsonline.org/issues/sound/military-sonars/LowFrequencyAS-EIS.html

http://www.oceanfutures.org/jmc/messages/lfa_qa.asp

http://www.oceandefense.org/lfa.htm

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/138126.html

http://www.mmc.gov/sound/internationalwrkshp/pdf/hildebrand.pdf

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 146
7 hz can kill you?!?! wtf

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7930
that's under water and below sea level.

at or above sea level, in normal atmosphere, in air, you're not going to get much beyond 200dB with anything.
The eruption of Krakatoa was said to have reached underwater pressures approaching 250+dB as well.. but that was one that was prior to metering, and it was felt thousands of miles away in other countries by people who had no idea what'd happened.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 709
Wow 250db SPL that is tectonic, stuff how do you know so much glasswolf....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us