Figuring your ohms

Anonymous

how do i figure out how many ohms my subs are i have 3 4ohm single coil subs and what i could do is run them all in perellel but i highly doubt that my amp well handle that so i was thinking of running 2 of them in perellel then the third one in siries so it would be like this
like this.jpg
im guessing that my ohms would be about 3 but how would i figure this out

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 291
if you run all 3 in paralell you'll end up with a 1.3 ohm load

if you run them in series, you'll end up witha 12 ohm load

if you run two in paralell and the third series you'll end up with a 3ohm load i believe

if you run 2 in series and one in paralell with them, you'll get a 6 ohm load

Anonymous

yeah thanks but how do i figure this out for my self

Username: Mike

Post Number: 7
i have a rockford fosgate punch hx2 10. with a schoscie 300 powering it. the sub is dvc and i know that a punch hx2 can handle more than 300w what is the best way i can hook it up. ive already got it hooked up like this....8ga power, 8ga ground, 18ga remote, and 12ga speaker, the sub i have 1 set of speaker wire from 1 side of the sub to the other (+) to (+) and (-) to (-). and i got it bridged to the amp with another set of wire coming from 1 side of sub. so is this the right way to do it? or will this hurt my sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Thespotlight

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 13
Michael, that is fine as long as your amp is stable @ 2 ohms. As long as every + is wired together and every - wired together.

To figure out the ohm of your speaker setup (parallel) is to divide the ohm of 1 speaker by the number of speakers. 4ohm/3speakers=1.33ohm load, and 4ohm/2speakers=2ohm load. Anyone who wires them this way must make sure their amp is stable down to 1ohm or 2ohm.

Do not mix serial and parallel. The end result of the formula is 4ohm/2speakers+4ohmspeaker=6ohm load.

Anonymous

well i think that me and bacon12 agree that 2 in perellel and the third in siries would come out to 3 ohms i just dont see why you would ADD the third speakers ohms but it also makes the most sence unless there is a different equasion.

Micheal please start your own thread next time

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 18
Your math was right, I was thinking he had single voice coil subs. What I was referring to was that the setup of the three speakers together must be parallel to hook it up to the amp. Since he has dvc subs he can wire the voice coils of 2 of them parallel and hook up the third one as serial. The 3 loads would still be hooked up in parallel onto the amp.

Anonymous

PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER MICHEAL'S QUESTION I DONT KNOW WHY HE POSTED HIS QUESTION IN MY THREAD

i am just talking about 3 SVC subs and my question is what is the formula to figure your ohms

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 20
I already posted it but here it goes again.

If you have 4ohm subs:

(Parallel) 4ohm/3subs=1.33ohm load
(Series) 4ohmsub+4ohmsub+4ohmsub=12ohm load (bad)

If you have 8ohm subs:

(Parallel) 8ohm/3subs=2.66ohm load
(Series) 8ohmsub+8ohmsub+8ohmsub=32ohm load (very bad)

If you try 1 parallel and 2 series you would end up with an uneven distribution of power. If you try 2 parallel and one series you would end up with a speaker out of phase and more uneven distribution of power.

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 21
In my first post on this thread the first small paragraph was for Micheal's question and the bigger paragaph was for Anonymous' question, so I was right all along.

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 171
Ok just to clear some things up Mr. Spotlight Bacon and whoever else you are wrong with ur Ohm Loads

You Said If you have 4ohm subs:

(Parallel) 4ohm/3subs=1.33ohm load
(Series) 4ohmsub+4ohmsub+4ohmsub=12ohm load (bad)

If you have 8ohm subs:

(Parallel) 8ohm/3subs=2.66ohm load
(Series) 8ohmsub+8ohmsub+8ohmsub=32ohm load (very bad)

THATS COMPLETELY WRONG

Parallel:3 Dvc 4 ohm subs=0.7 ohms
Series not Serial bullshit:3 Dvc 4 ohm Subs=2.7 ohms
As for any type of Series/Parallel combination of wiring it is not recommended

Bronze Member
Username: Mike

Post Number: 19
look man i didnt mean to tread all over ur thread. i appologize.............(i reckon dats how u spell it. lol)

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 26
Can't you read Hydro? I'm talking about SVC not DVC.

Besides your math is a little uninformative. 3 4ohm DVC subs can be @ .66ohm IF each sub is wired @ 2 ohms. But this all depends on the impedence of EACH VOICE COIL. Some have 2 2 ohm coils and some have 2 4 ohm coils.

With Series or Serial (depending on sentence structure) you add up the loads not quadruple what it is in parallel. 3 DVC subs set @ 4 ohms each = 12 ohms.

If you still think I'm wrong you know nothing about the math behind basic circuits and speakers.

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 27
I can't even beleive you think I'm Bacon!!! This means Bacon and me know what we are talking about. I've been to school for this so don't even try.

Silver Member

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 178
You are a complete Dumbass and you are making me sick with these crazy Math Calculations I will do Single Voice Coil Measures for you too:

Parallel:3 Svc 4 ohm subs=1.33 ohm load
Series:4 Svc 4 ohm subs=4+4=8ohm/4+4=8ohm
8ohm+8ohm in series is 4ohm

The Bottom Line is dont give out information if you dont know how to add and subtract

Silver Member

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 179
If you went to School for this how in the hell did you Graduate?I have studied all the Basic Ohm Laws and I know you are lying with your schooling because of the simple fact that any Electrical Engineer would know when Series wiring more that 2 Voice Coils you DONT ADD YOU DUMBASS.

robert j
Unregistered guest
Hey thespotlight where did you go to school at, if they have a sight would you please give it to me. i'm going to wyotech now and i want to also study car audio once i get out but haven't fund a school to go to yet.

Silver Member

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 181
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Anonymous

ok hydro i didnt think that when figuring ohms that you ADD it just didnt make sence to me thx for corecting who ever seid that so if i have and i know you seid this is wrong but if i have 2subs in perellel and the third in seiries what would the ohms be
S1 S2 S3
__ - _ - _ - _ <=negitive
__ + _ + _ + _| <=positive

i dont know if any one well get this picture but the site is telling me that the file cant be over 1k so i can post it

Anonymous

ok never mind that picture its stupid i asked my freind about his 3 boston 10's that are in perellel-series and this is how they are wired you start at the first single voice coil sub you run your + wire to the + on the first sub then you put the same wire to the - on the next sub then the the + on the third sub then the oposit with the - wire so it comes out to 1.33 ohms his 600watt phoenix gold amp hanled this with flying colors

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 28
When I was in the Air Force they sent me to their Technical training school which was at first just 5 months of learning nothing but electonic basics. I know how to wire speakers better than anybody and I can prove it if I show you my car stereo.

I don't know where Hydro learned his math but I think he's confused about the difference between adding up DVC and SVC subs. Anyways he needs to search around the internet and relearn it. He made me doubt myself so I checked around and made sure I was right before replying.

Maybe Hydro needs to lay of the Hydro for a few minutes. I can't even tell what the answer is for your silly series formula. 4 ohms? More like 16 ohms! Now if they were DVC subs with each voice coil wired at 1 ohms then yeah, it would be 4 ohms.

The bottom line is if you don't know what you are talking about don't say anything at all.

2 8ohm subs in !PARALLEL! is 4 ohm
Talk about not being able to add, you add 2 8's and come up with four. Let me guess, you learned what you know from what your friends told you.

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 29
I would NOT wire any speaker setup with 2 in parallel and 1 in series or even 2 in series and 1 in parallel. The power would be unevenly distibuted and 1 or more speakers would be out of phase making the whole setup not sound as loud. Trust me on this one, I've tried ever combo possible with 3 12"s and 2 10"s.

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 32
Here's a page that proves me right.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spkrmlti.htm

Anonymous

OK would you shut the F up we know how smart you are so now forget about anything that i have sied before no one realy answerd my question becids i had it all wrong i asked my freind about his 3 boston 10's that are in perellel-series and this is how they are wired you start at the first single voice coil sub you run your + wire to the + on the first sub then you put the same wire to the - on the next sub then the the + on the third sub then the oposit with the - wire so it comes out to 1.33 ohms his 600watt phoenix gold amp hanled this with flying colors

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 33
I heard you the first time and that still sounds to me like a bad idea. 1 speaker would get less than half the power that the other 2 are getting. The total load would be 6 ohms anyways. 1.33ohm is what you get when all 3 are in parallel. The math would be 2ohm(the total ohm of 2 subs in parallel)+4ohm=6ohm .

I was trying to rub off some of my smartness onto you so you could answer your own question. The speaker may not be out of phase but you still wouldn't want a 6 ohm load.

Anonymous

i think that you are miss understanding me but just to make sure: the three subs are hooked in perellel but one of the subs polaridy is switched i guess this is called perellel-series i would think that you would figure your ohms just as if they where in normal perellel but i can easly see how one would be out of phase though i was told that the one that was switched would als jump the oposit of the other 2 subs but they all jump forward

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 35
Even if they were all in phase the 2 speakers in parallel would take about 200w and the speaker in seriel would only get 100w. That is still pretty loud but if they were all wired in parallel the load would be 1.33ohm and depending on the rating of the amp that can be around 500w per speaker. BIG Difference.

The amp will have to be stable @ 1ohm to handle that kind of load though. His amp may be 600w but is that for 2ohm or 4ohm? If it's @ 4ohm than his power output @ 1.33ohm would be about 1500w if the amp doesn't overheat and shutdown.

Changing the polarity of one speaker to change the ciruit from all parallel to parallel/seriel changes the formula too. It goes from 4ohm/3speakers=1.33ohm load to 4ohm/2speakers+4ohmspeaker=6ohm load.

The amp would put out about 300-400w total instead of 600w.

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 36
Actually what I meant to say in the first paragraph is opposite of what I wrote. The serial speaker would actually get 200w while the other 2 speakers would have to split up 100w.

Bronze Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 62
well it was a phoenix gold amp that was stable i think even to 1 ohm

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 38
That's perfect then but was it 600w @ 1ohm or @ 4 ohm? I also hope it is not a 4ch amp. I'm sure it is 600w @ 4ohm and that could mean the amp pumps out around 2000w @ 1.33ohm but make sure it's 1 ohm stable in both stereo and bridged. Usually when an amp is 1 ohm stable in stereo it is only 2 ohm stable when bridged.

Hopefully it's a 2ch amp that is 1 ohm stable when bridged and he'll get more out of his setup if he wires all of subs in parallel.

Bronze Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 63
no it is 600watt at 1 ohm i just asked my friend who has it and it is a 2ch.

Bronze Member

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 41
I was hoping it was more powerful than that. 200w per speaker ain't bad though. When I had 3 12" Kicker Comp and 2 10" PPI the comps had 100w each and the PPI's had 200 watts each. The system was loud enough for a lot of people to call in and complain when I used to deliver pizzas. The system wasn't loud enough to suck the air out of your lungs but you could at least feel the air rush by you out of the window.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us