Sean and jonathan lol

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 588
Ok i was just punchin up stuff on a port tuning calculator.
Desired tuning:25 hz
Number of ports: 2 round ones
Diameter of each port: 1 inch
Box volume:2 cuft
Ok this seems odd but it said 2.66 inch length would make it 25 hz? is that true

Wich brings me 2 my next question(its more like a theory) can a smaller diameter account for sum port length? i came up with a hypothesis for this theory, that the smaller the diamter would make it 2 where u can have smaller length.
I tested my theory with 2 glass bottles: 1 short small diamerter hole and 1 tall big diameter and the smaller one achived a lower frequincy lol

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4243
Yep. 1 inch is WAY too small for a ported box. 2 1 inchers aren't any better. For subs, I recommend at least a single 4" round port for any subwoofer, especially 10" and above.

Silver Member

Post Number: 595
thanx jon...i knew there was somen strange about such a small diameter and sucha a small length giuving me such a low tuning

Bronze Member
Username: Bigred2069

Post Number: 44
how do you get a port tuning calculator? u have to by one or can u use one online somewhere

Silver Member

Post Number: 601
look on google and type in Subwoofer box port tuning calculator

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3291
It just occurred to me after talking with someone from another board yesterday and thought about it this morning that if you take a slot port and let it be wide at one end and narrower as it went up you would have a higher port tune than if you let it be open even amounts the whole way through the slot port...intresting thought

Gold Member

Post Number: 3292
"Yep. 1 inch is WAY too small for a ported box. 2 1 inchers aren't any better"

Actually yes they are better the more one inchers you have...one 1 inch round port times 3.1416=3.1416 port area two one inch round ports times 3.1416=6.2832 port area add more you get enough port area for a 10 inch subwoofer and less port length than a 4 inch port

Gold Member

Post Number: 3295
The port area for one 4 inch pvc port 12.5664. The port area for four 1 inch pvc ports 12.5664

using linearteam

2.00 cf. one 4 inch pvc port tuned to 32hz is 13.478 long at .13 port volocity at 100 rms power

2.00 cf. 4 one inch ports tuned to 32 hz is 3.369 long at .13 port volocity at 100 rms power

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 139
The port area for 4 1" ports is 3.14sqin not 12.6

Bronze Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 81
4X3.14=12.56
OR
(1X3.14=3.14)+(1X3.14=3.14)+(1X3.14=3.14)+(1X3.14=3.14)= 12.56

Silver Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 141
Oh dear I think you might need to learn how to calculate the area of a circle.

Area of a circle= 3.14x(rxr) where r=radius

so one 1" port= 3.14x(0.5x0.5)=3.14x0.25=.785sqin
so four 1" ports= 0.785x4=3.14sqin.

Don't they teach handy stuff like this in the states?

Bronze Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 83
A port is not just a hole in a box, if it was yes, you would only have that much port area,but you have legnth and circumference, so technically its a cylinder. You have to put the volume of a cylinder, which is the area of a circle times the legnth of the port. 3.14x(.5x.5)=.785x4=3.14x3.369= about 11sq.in. Someone correct me if I made a mistake.

Silver Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 142
Oh dear not again. "Port area" is just that the area of the port. A cylinder has a VOLUME. This is only helpful in port terms when calculating space taken up by a port in an enclosure. The port area and tuning frequency will determin port length.
Feel corrected.
BTW Volume is measured in cubic inches.

Silver Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 143
"the port area and tuning frequency determin port length"
Should have added and box volume.

Bronze Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 84
I want to see what sean has to say, but I think I know what you're sayin. If you could put enough 1 inch squares in a round port to fill it up, that would be the area of port right? So in a 1 inch round port, you could put 1 square in it. If you have 4 ports thats about 4sqin. Is that what your saying? This is the reason I like slot ports. lol

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3056
REDSKIN has got you guys on this one. You don't just calculate the port Volume. You find the port area, and then calculate the length based on the box volume and desired tune.

Bronze Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 87
What exactly is port "Area"?

Silver Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 144
You're asking what an port area is after telling me I was calculating it wrong??????

If you want to think in square ports ok. So 4 1"sq ports= 4"sqin but 1 4"sq port= 16sqin.

Get it?

Bronze Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 88
yeah,ok just makin sure. thx I was talkin about round ports though. This is exactly why I dont use em.

Silver Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 145
How much easier does it have to be? plus it's much easier making round ports. All the design programs calculate round ports so whats the problem?

"yeah,ok just makin sure. thx I was talkin about round ports though.".....Errr so was I but you seemed to be having trouble caculating areas of round ports so I switched to square ones so you could grasp the idea that 4 1" ports don't equal 1 4" port.

Bronze Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 91
I'm still learning about ports, so I might struggle sometimes. My geometry teacher wasn't all too good either. lol One more thing. Do you know what port resonant freq is.

Silver Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 146
Ummmm....I would assume it was the frequency at which the port was tuned.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3297
your right redskin I stand corrected
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us