RMS question

DUB
Unregistered guest
I have asked this before but did not get many replys. I have 2 12' subs that are 350RMS each, and I am powering the with a 900RMS amp. If I buy 2 other subs that are 400RMS and power them with the same 900RMS amp, will there be any sound difference? Will it sound louder or anything?

Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 6
don't think it'll be any louder, but it'll be better for yer subs, easier on them electrically anyways. the diff in sound will be in the quality of the subs.

DUB
Unregistered guest
Actually, its better to overpower subs.

Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 7
i didnt say it wasnt, i just meant it'll be safer for them. that's all.

DUB
Unregistered guest
Back to the question.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 233
its better to overpower subs? im not too sure about that..overpowering a sub will cause it to strain more and overall reducing its life span while underpowering a subwoofer doesnt hurt it at all

DUB
Unregistered guest
Once again, back to my question.

Bronze Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 62
You wouldnt be able to hear the difference in volume, unless the other sub is more or less efficient

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4245
It doesn't hurt to overpower as long as you don't overdrive the sub, it's nice to have headroom. Amplifiers have a rated power output, but you'll rarely utilize all of it. They're rated with a resistive dummy load and not a speaker. If your gains are matched well, you'll rarely hit full power output and usually you're just cruising along producing a couple of watts of power. Most competitors overpower their equipment by a large amount, a lot of times they'll give 2-3x rated power, some even more than that.

To the original question, you likely won't notice much of a difference in output. Most subs in that power category are similarly efficient and the volume level likely won't be worth the price of the subs. You probably won't notice much of a difference at all, you may even lose some output depending on what you're upgrading to. If you wanted loud you would see more benefit if you upgraded the enclosure to a higher output design.

DUB
Unregistered guest
Finally, thanxs Jonathan, see I knew overpowering was a good thing. But thanx for answering my question.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us