New amp for my Alpine type x

Bronze Member
Username: Skaman272

Post Number: 38
i have a 12" Alpine Type X in a ported enclosure, my current sub amp has kicked the bucket, i want to run it off a 1000/1 but as we all know, you need mad loot for one of those. i found out the the xenon amps from Phoenix Gold have the same features as the slash amps from JL. my question is, will the Phoenix Gold Xenon X1200.1 be a good match for my Type X? i know it puts out 200 watts more than the recomended rms, but alpine also rates the max power of the Type X at 3000 watts. i suspect alpine underrated the rms? Can i get evryone's oppinion? thx

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 283
I've owned a couple of those Type-X's, and they'll handle a lot of power. I usually have 200-300 more RMS watts on the amp, then the subs. That way the amp doesn't work too hard. You could give that sub 1,000 watts RMS and it should be fine. Maybe look into Kenwood, Fosgate, and Orion for amps. Give that sub good clean power, and you'll be amazed at it's quality!

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 415
One of the audio shops near me hooked a Kicker 2500.1 up to a type x and it took all that power. And the birthsheet on that amp is more in the range of 2800 wrms. BTW, don't get a Kenwood amp, they make overrated amps that have some pretty bad SQ. Just stay away.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 228
MTX makes good cheap amps

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
Isaac: are Kenwoods really that bad? My friend is thinking about buying one, and it was decently cheap for the power, I always thought Kenwood was a good amp? I know their old ones were, a lot of my friends have them.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 419
Yeah Jake, Kenwood amps are not good at all. They are overrated and have some pretty bad SQ as well. I had some older Rockford 12's hooked up to a Kenwood. I bought an Xtant amp for my new setup and tried hooking it up to see how it sounded with those same subs. The difference was amazing! I would just completely stay away from Kenwood when it comes to amps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
Thanks bro. I'll keep him away from 'em. I'll have to find a different amp for him. He's bought a 12" Eclipse Ti from me, and he's looking for a budget amp.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 425
Yeah, no problem man. If he is looking for a bugdet amp, def steer him in the direction of MTX or JBL. They are good amps for how cheap you can pick them up for, especially on ebay.

Silver Member

Post Number: 316
Thanks. But I don't think we'll be getting an amp for it. He just f*cked it all up. His didn't secure the box and it fell over and he "didn't know" and f*cked the surround up, and bent the cone. I told him if I don't get the money next paycheck he gets, his wheels off his new car are mine until he gets me the money...

(You have no idea how pissed I am, I'm going to kill someone...) OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

haha...yeah i know how ya feel Jake. Same shid happened to me but it was my younger sista who damaged my subs by placing a heavy adapter on it & that completely ruin the surround and the cone. And she wouldn't even pay for the damages & she earns $80K. That B.I.@.T.C.H.
I'm so gonna destroy her next new computer. Revenge will be shhweet. hehe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us