Upgrading subs...

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 200
I have 2 12" sony xplods (old, cone shaped) that are 300wrms and 900wmax apeice in a sealed box. They are powered by an alpine MRP-350 putting out 350wrms per sub. I am going to keep the box and amplifier but am looking at upgrading to a deeper, little louder, clearer, more accurate subwoofer. I would like to spend under $150 for the pair (shipping included) on ebay. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 201
couple possibilities... 500wrms Audiobahn (lacks a little quality I was looking for)$90-100
400wrms Kicker CVR12 (a definite possibility) $150
500wrms Volfenhag (MAYBE, not sure though) $100
500wrms Pioneer's (another good possiblity) $100

The lower the price the better!

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2359
The only thing that I can think of in that price range, is either some CVR's , or Type R's off ebay.
Maybe 1 Atlas, but haven't looked at Ascendant's site, so don't know how much there new stuff is.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 202
will I notice a major difference in upgrading to one of those?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2361
On spl, not really,you might notice some spl increase but not a lot. I've heard some of them sony's, they did all right in spl, but sounded like sh1t. You should notice a change in sq for sure!

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 203
what about the actual bass/deepness. I want to feel the bass. I can right now, but will that be an improvement in quality as well?

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 204
1 more question. With an amp putting out 350wrmsX1 @2 ohms is that giving 175wrms to each sub or 350wrms to each sub? The Sony's move a TON so I am assuming 350, am I correct?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2363
I can't garrantee that, but it shouldn't get any worse. It will stay the same, if not get better.
You could all ways go with bigger/ported boxes, and get the most spl out of it.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2364
Nope, thats if you're subs are wired to the 2 ohm load, each sub is getting 175 watts.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 205
if I got 2 Kicker CVR12's would there be any way to wire them to get 350wrms apeice with the amp on a 2ohm load? Should I get the dual 2 ohm VC's or the dual 4 ohm VC's? THanks for your help taylor.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 566
I kicker comp vr is enough trust me

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 26
Chris,

I really suggest you build a ported enclosure for whatever you may choose. Out of the suggestions listed, the CompVR and Type R are really the only subs worth looking at. If I were you I'd do a single 15" Type R in about 3.5-4 cubes tuned to 35 hz. If done right, you're really going to be pleased with your decision. Remember SPL is 70-80 percent install. Design a good box and let it wang.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2367
Yup, that would sound good. There is no way to get 350 watts to 2 subs if thats what you're asking.
If you go with either 1 CVR, or a type R, you'll need the 4 ohm dvc, and wire in parallel to 2 ohms.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 206
I don't know, I might just stick with my Xplod's and use liquid edead on my trunk etc....

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 207
but I still would get a good upgrade from going to the 2 12" CVR12's?

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 36
"but I still would get a good upgrade from going to the 2 12" CVR12's?"

Listen to the information provided in the previous posts. Throwing 2 subs in any old box really wont give you a nice upgrade like you're wanting. Even if you go with 1 12" CompVr in a ported box you could blow away both of those Sony's sealed.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2372
Yes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us