8 inch subs

Username: Mlongpre

Post Number: 5
hey does anyone here know anything about 8 inch subs? i want my car to pump a little but not a whole lot. so i ws considering 2 8 inch jl audio subs, but i dont know much about subs. Would they give me decent bass or would i have to go with a 10 inch. i dont want to take up a lot of room and still want to use my trunk since i need my car to drive myself back to school 1300 miles with all my gear. thanks for your help

Post Number: 6
oh and one other thing, if i wire in parrallel, will the wattage be split in two? like total would be 300 and each sub would get 150 each? thanks

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3569
a jl 10 will work nicely and in a very small enclosure as well. in order to get how many watts you will get by wiring parellell or series you will need to determine your sub first, how much do you want to spend? after you have that you then need to find a amp that suites that speaker well. say you were to buy a 10w6v2 dual 4ohm sub wire it parellel you would come up with a 2ohm load. now this particular sub is 400 rms so you would want a amp that produces 400 rms @ 2ohms. if you wire it series you get a 8ohm load so you would want a amp that is 400@8ohms.

Post Number: 7
so one jl 10 will work better than two jl 8's? i really like how small the 8 inch subs are compared to the 10 inch ones. i understand about wiring the subs and ohms and all that but im jsut wondering that if you have two subs hooked up in parallell on one channel, would the wattage from that one channel be split between the two subs?

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 225
yes if you hook up 2 subwoofers to one channel the wattage that the channel puts out is split between the 2

Bronze Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 45
look i would recommend that you get the excursion audiobahns, i have one hooked up to a crappy soundstorm 400 watt rms @ 4 ohm amp, and that thing delivers better bass then i would have ever thought. i think they make those in the 8 in models and they are relitevely cheap but they last long. ive had mine for about 2 years now i poked a hole in it the first day i got it installing the drill slipped... lol and it still hasnt messed up since. but i did patch up the hole with that special glue. or you can get these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18802%26item%3D5787968287 %26 they are only $130 with shipping and those are there higher end subs

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 18
Or....you could avoid Audiobahn totally. They're "high end" subs are not high quality subs. Look into RE 8's and Tang Band 8's. Both are affordable and in the right enclosure can get loud. I ran 1 RE8 ported and sounded like a couple 10's in my Jeep Cherokee. Don't let anyone tell you 8's can't get loud.

Silver Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 265
I would get an RE 8 they are incredibly inexpensive, and they will add some bump to the music.

Post Number: 8
alright one question, im a new guy at all this, what does RE stand for? which company?
thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Jmmcool

Manistee, MI United States

Post Number: 29
Resonant engineering

Post Number: 9
thanks man
appreaciate it

Post Number: 10
another question, where do i get these..i cant find them on ebay. and how much do they cost?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
www.visionaryaudio.com

Marshall can hook you up, unless there's a dealer in your area, in which case he can't sell directly to you. I bought mine for $56 shipped, but that was when he was tryin to get rid of some of em. They might be $56 plus s/h but either way it's gunna be hard to find a better 8" driver for the price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
well isnt that great. i live in nashville...memphis isnt that far off..haha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
"well isnt that great. i live in nashville...memphis isnt that far off..haha"

Yea man, he's probably one of your closest dealers. you could always visit the shop.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
it seems as though he doesnt have and RE's there....unless im missing something

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
He may not have them available right now. He can always get some though. Just shoot him an email telling him your situation and where you live. He's a good guy and has been great to work with through a few PM's on another forum.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
alright thanks a lot...and nother thing...should i go with one or two? is one enough for a good kick?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
If you're in an SUV 1 may be enough for you if you're just looking for a little bass while maintaing goood sq. If I had a trunk i'd go with 2 ported.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
alright sounds good. ive got a 3000gt and im gonna try to custom fit them into the trunk so i can save some trunk space because there isnt a lot to start off with. thanks again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us