Amp + Powered Subwoofer with the same 8 gauge power wire

Phead1223
Unregistered guest
I have been trying to figure this one out on my own as I have no installation experience, but I could really use some expert advice.

Current setup:
Factory deck.
Factory Tweeters and Mid-ranges up front.
JBL GT0936 6x9's in back.
Sony XM2100GTX (100w RMS x 2) powering the 6x9's set to power on at ignition.
Street Wires PS08R 8 gauge amp kit with 60A AGU fuse -- I am guessing 10-12 feet of wire.

My proposed additions to my current set up:
Add a Kenwood KSC-WA82RC powered subwoofer (60w RMS) using the RCA pre-outs on my amp.
Add a power distribution block to split the power so both amps can get power.
*Anything else (besides the wires to hook up the sub)?

My main question is should this work (is there anything I am missing?)? Secondly, will this configuration allow the sub to turn on and off with the ignition as well? The amp kit says it is for use with one amp, but based on all that I have read this should work as it is in the range for the 8 gauge cable.

I know I should have used 4 gauge for the main power, I should have purchased a better amp, and I should have purchased a decent pair of circular speakers instead of 6x9's. However, if my current setup will not support some added bass, I will just wait until I get a new car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 203
you should be ok although i wouldve used 4guage wiring but your not drawing much power so i think youll be ok

PHead1223
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the quick response, Quick Shot. Could you tell me if the sub should power up at ignition? Would I have to get a remote lead wire or whatever that thing is to have it turn on?

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
yea you hook up the remote wire to your head unit...although when i had mine hooked up to the stock radio i just ran the remote wire to the ciggarette lighter fuse...only problem was that if you turned off the deck the subs went crazy and made an annoying sound but w/e

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
yes the sub/amp should power on at ignition..i belive thats what the remote wires for...to tell it when to turn on/off

JohnnyCash
Unregistered guest
Correct me if I am wrong, but he shouldn't need the remote wire if it is hooked up to the amp that is already being turned on and off. Since the sub would be hooked up to his current amp, shouldn't the amp take care of starting and stopping the sub? Or does he need to use speaker level inputs for the sub to have it turn on and off without the remote wire?

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
yea i was thinking about that too but he has one of those self-powered subs with a built-in amp..so i think those work like a traditional amplifier in terms of how they are connected

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 41
Johnny, your Kenwood sub have 2 different setup, high level input and Low level input (power), if you connect your sub with the speaker lever to the amp (speaker cable), you don't need to use the remote line. But in this case, you connected your sub thru RCA to the Amp, you need to power the Built-in amp inside your sub tube. But it is quite simple since you already have an amp setup there, just connect the remote line on the Sony Amp to the remote line on the sub tube. When the Sony Amp is power at ignition, your sub is power too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us