ATTN: Jonathan or anyone experianced.....

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 102
I have a limited budget of around $250 or so for my second amp and I needed to know which one is better. It will be powering a sub rated around 800-1000 watts rms.
1. audibahn a800t intake series
2. hifonics brutus 1205d or 1505d
3. jbl bp1200.1 on ebay .but does this amp have a subsonic switch?
or any others anyone can think of in that price range? Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 407
The JBL is the best out fo the 3 that you listed, without a doubt. I would def go for that.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3541
what will this amp be running?

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
hi guys, I am not sure what sub I will be getting yet James...I listen to mostly modern rock and metal but I love trance too.I want a SQ/SPL sub, something acurate and hardhitting that can play the deep frequencies very well and still accurately reproduce that double bass kick drum. I was thinking of a 12" sub. In the meantime I have an old mtx 7000 15" that i will be using until i can upgrade. Its a single VC 4ohm sub. These are the ones I am looking at.
1. Idmax 12"
2. Eclipse TI 12"
3. Avalanche 12" (if there's any left)
4. Re XXX 12"
any suggestions? Thanks for the input guys

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3544
they are all very good choices. The ID max is gonna have the best transient response out of those subs you mentioned therfor giving it the best SQ of the bunch. for deep lows the ID max will do it but if you want it with authority the avalanche is a fantastic sub for deep notes 45htz and under its a champ:-). the eclipse and RE are fantastic SQL subs as well honestly in my opinion if you go sealed go with the ID max if you go ported go with the other 3. One more thing with the JBL 1200 it is really too much power for the eclipse and the avalanche although many people have run this amount of power to them I would not recomend it because fried VC's are not covered under warranty by anyone. for 1200 watts I wouold have to say REXXX if you drop that down to 800-1000 then you can start messing around with the other 3 types of subs you mentioned.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
thanks for your help James, I think i will go with the idmax or the Ava but if the jbl is too much power then what other amp should i use, the audiobahn or the hifonics??

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3552
neither, how about the ED nine.1

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
I would love that amp but at the moment it is a little bit out of my price range, I wanted something to get me by for the next few months then I was thinking of either an ED nine.1 or something comparable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
also I may be able to get that jbl amp for about $150 or there abouts, if so can I use that amp if i am careful with the IDmax or am I pretty much just stuck on the RE xxx at that point? Thanks again

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 44
Aaron.. you should do it right at the first time, this will SAVE you the money and trouble later. If you already have the equipment that's OK but if you plan to purchase one... do the right thing... that we alway suggest....

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 224
aaron were can you get that JBL for 150 because if been looking at that amp......

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3571
if you run the id max in a small sealed enclosure you will be fine with the jbl, but like winn said that is what I would recomend also but the JBL for $150 is a steal so I would grab it.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 284
James: I'm not trying to be an @ss, but I've talked with the guys at Eclipse, and that 12" Eclipse Ti will handle 1,500 watts to each voice coil for extended periods of time. That JBL amp would be perfect for one Eclipse in a sealed box!

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3575
ok man thats great but I guarentee you if you blow a VC they wont cover it! it is rated at 750 rms I would not run it over 1000 if I were you!I know eclipse is a great company but I would be carefull! the guys at eclipse can tell you to run it at 2000 rms but they arnt the ones who are gonna replace your speaker when it fries are they?

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 285
Lol, no, and I won't run over about 1,000 RMS to it either, unless it's for small periods of time :P. And on my subs you can replace the voice coil, pretty slick stuff. And I think my warranty is about up anyways, time to sell them... LOL!

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
blah, I was getting that jbl amp off of ebay and it was only 132.00 and then in the last 5 minutes or so it went to over 200.00 heh well i guess that goes to show that you shouldnt put all your eggs in one basket.I'm looking again. Is the phoenix gold octane series any good? The R8.0:1 ? and is that 800 true rms at 2 ohms? I got a little confused when they said 800 watts rms and then 800 max watts. Would this be better then the hifonics brutus 1205d? thanks for all your comments guys, i appreciate it.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3582
yes its much better then the hifonics.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
one last question and I'll shut up, heh. The wattage value that they show, when they say MAX is that 800 watts peak or is that 800 watts rms? thanks everyone :-)
The link's below:

http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/octane-ramps.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
oh, and what about memphis amps? are they any good? thanks.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
bump

Username: Milkman6185

Post Number: 4
this is a stupid question but i need to know. can a mono channel amp run two subs. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 116
yes
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us