Cone excursion is there a way to measure it?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3267
IS there a way to measure it while playing to no how much excursion your getting

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 224
Not to rain on your parade Sean, but, speakers work best when theyre operating well below their Xmax. When the cone is extended all the way out, it looses time.

Speakers vibrate in and out to create sound. When a speaker cone moves outward really far compared to other times, it doesnt mean that it requires to extend out that far to create a certain note, compared to another note. Excursion is caused by extreme amounts of pressure (volume), not frequency.

So, say your speaker hits really hard and the cone is fully extended. Now,lets just say that the recording has multiple extreme volumes of bass notes back to back spaced very close to each other. This space is so close that the woofer doesnt have enough time to react and recharge (go all the way back in real deep, so it will thrust outwards again, repeating the same process). When this happens your woofer will distort and may even cause damage. I have tested stuff before. This kind of stuff only happens at extreme volumes and Xmax. I have come to the conclusion that a speakers Xmax should be a warning, not a goal.

Just a thought............

Bronze Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 29
the second thing ive learned about parameters.
good thought

Gold Member

Post Number: 3272
Actually I thought about what your pointing out before mixneffect. It makes total sense to me so your not raining on my parade but I was thinking of this for all out spl purposes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3273
watching powered for sounds boxes work proved the theory were talking about to me....your also confirming another thought I had for ultimate sq now I know im right

Gold Member

Post Number: 3274
Excursion is caused by extreme amounts of pressure (volume), not frequency.

How bout even amounts of pressure volume???? food for thought.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3275
or should i say controlled amounts of pressure volume think about how a port works well and doesnt work well

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 227
Sean,

You just hit the bell!

Thats the ultimate prize. "To create even amounts of pressure" A.K.A. flat response.

Controlled amounts of pressure. Yes that too. Engineers have spent years, and lotsa money trying to figure out how to create a more controlled speaker. The latest and greatest is Aurasounds dual spider design.

www.aurasound.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 3276
So whats your point is this a poke of fun at me?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3277
theres a reason ports only have a narrow range of benefit in my opinion

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 228
No, I m not pokin fun at you Sean.

I am congradulating you for having the desire to search for the the ultimate sound. "Flat Response" A.K.A. having a speaker reproduce exactly the same sound as it was during the recording session. Many speakers come close, but the fact that no one has reached that goal is challenging and worth it all (lol).

The ports have a limited range because you tune them by length. Just like a trombone. The more you slide the slide out (making the pipe longer), the lower the note. Same with ports. The longer, the lower you tune it.

Note: trombones have a length limit. So do ports.

Silver Member
Username: Eclipse2005

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 133
Sorry if im involving in this convo, but i got a question. What if Fs of a sub is high (ex. 45Hz), am i supposed to tune the box around that? To avoid big excursion at low frequencies?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3278
no im talking about the reaction within the port theres a reason a standard port offers a limited range of benefit to the speaker in the enclosure

oh and thank you for not poking fun no offense was meant in asking you your intent

Gold Member

Post Number: 3279
i think I have an idea how to improve them is what im saying

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 664
yes there is a way to measure it... :-)

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/Lightning%20Audio/storm12.1.wmv

Gold Member