8 or 4 guage?

JJJoey
Unregistered guest
could my amp not be working bridged because im using 8 guage wire to hook it up to power, instead of 4 guage? because i've tried everything else.

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 189
how many watts are in your system(rms not peak)

Unregistered guest
I think you would be blowing the fuse first if it were that problem..

Audioguy22
Unregistered guest
What a lot of folks dont do and they should is, Run power and ground from the battery. what ever amp your using should work
fine with 8 ga. going to 4 ga. would give you more bass and cooler
running.

JJJoey
Unregistered guest
ok cool. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 455
how does higher gauge power cables make amps run cooler? thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard of. unless you have like 1000 watts of stuff running 8 should be enough. make sure the ground is good, im sure you've checked but double check. check your wiring on the amp too, it may be as simple as that.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3000
Unless he meens the wire would be cooler? As for the amps, no the gauge has nothing to do with the amp running cooler. Maybe it'll run cooler with 8 gauge instead of 4, because it's getting less current through the 8 gauge.

BTW, even if your running less than 1000 watts, you still shouldn't use 8 gauge to a certain point. 8 gauge wire is rated for about 50 amps, which would be about 500 watts at 12 volts and an amp that's 80% effecient. 4 gauge is rated for about 125 amps, wich would work for 1000 wrms.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 456
i know what you mean joe, i was just trying to make a point, but good info to know.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3003
Yep. I wasn't really trying to contradict you, just clearing a few things up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us