Difference between 10" and 12"

Bronze Member
Username: Kyleleduc

Post Number: 18
I was talking to one of the guys at our local car audio place and he told me that there was a difference between 10" subs and 12" subs, other than just the size. He tried to explain it to me, but the guy was not very smart and all he did was confuse me. So I was wondering if there actually is a difference between the two sized subs. Is there a difference in how the sound, or how they perform or anything of that nature. Please fill me in on this. Thaks.

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 173
im not too knowledgeable about it but i don know that USUALLY, the 10" subs have slightly better SQ, and they hit more accurate and faster

the 12"s are usually louder(more surface area) and in some cases move slower causing them to not sound as good.

IMO theres really no noticeable difference except SPL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
So the 12"s are louder, but the 10"s are more accurate. So even though the 12"s are louder, two 10s would be just as loud, plus they are more accurate.

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 184
noo not exactly, in most cases thats usually the case, but the two 12's will be louder then 2 10's, but those 2 10's will probably sound better while still getting loud, just not as loud, but as i stated IMO i don't think theres really much difference except spl in 10's and 12's, but thats just me

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 135
It all depends on what subs we're talking about, but 10 inch subs have a smaller moving mass than their 12 inch relatives, making them respond faster and slighly more accurate in some cases.

Silver Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 127
yea are we talkin bout a pair of walmart 12" subs vs 2 10" adire audio brahmas...it all depends on what yur comparing...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
well I was just wondering about how they compared overall, but by what everyone is saying it seems like to me that I am more interested in 10's. I listen to a lot of rap music and if it hits more accurately, thats exactly what i want. So i think I am going to go with two 10' infinities. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 618
You'd actually probably want 12" subs. Go to your local audio store and give them a listen, thats the only way you'll get what you want.

Don't forget that your install will also greatly impact how they sound.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 530
umm about 2 inch

ha ha ha i crack myself up lol

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 531
but seriously...u will not notice a difference ...it will be about 1-3 db louder with a 12 but id just get tens really
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us