2-way or 3-way Infinity's

Bronze Member
Username: Halby

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 14
I want to get either the Infinity 62.7i(2-way) or the 63.7i (3-way) for the front speakers of my car. Is the difference in price made up for in sound quality? Right now unless the 3-ways are a lot better I'm just going to get the 2-ways because I have heard good things about them, especially for the price.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 15
I already have a 12" Perfect 12.1 in the back. Does that eliminate the need for the mid range i.e. the 3-way?

KMARTXR
Unregistered guest
i honestly cant tell much diference in 2 and 3 way speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 202
go with the 2-way because you get a swivel tweeter that can be moved for better imaging.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 16
Thanks...that is pretty much what I've heard all around.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 17
Hey quick follow up question...will these sound good without an amp(for now)?

b/c I don't think I can afford to put in another amp at this time for 2 reasons:

1) I just bought/installed a new headunit, Ipod Interface, sub, amp and now these 2-ways so I'm a little low on cash flow

2) With the amp (400RMS) and a new 75 x 2 RMS amp (I think) I will put to much strain on my stock alternator and need to get a new HO Alternator for another $200+

Lemme know what u guys think

Bronze Member
Username: Dr_sharp

USA

Post Number: 46
The 2-ways will sound better at low volumes but the HU will still sound just as bad at higher volumes. You will want to get an amp ASAP so you don't waste your money. Without an amp they will sound similar to references (not bad, just saying its a waste of money without an amp).

I have two 360RMS amps and my alternator isn't too stressed... only one drives a sub though so with 400RMS going to bass you may consider a cap but I don't think a new alternator would make much of a difference (unless you plan on adding power later)... check the stock# of your alternator and look up the current rating for it (mine is 90A for reference)

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 18
What are some good 2-channels that are about 75 RMS/channel, that wont cost me a ton of money?

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
If you have 1 pair...Look into a 4 channel amp and bridge it...it'll be cheaper...75 rms means 150 max...that'll be an expensive 2 channel amp for 4 ohm.s Look into a 4 channel amp.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 48
I can vouch for my amp but I don't know any others. Everyone that I know goes for huge amps for subs. Mine is a JBL P180.2 it is 2channels 90RMS @ 4ohms for each channel.

This is an older amp (last generation) though so it'll probly be tough to find. I think I saw one on ebay the other day going for around $100 but there were quite a few bids on it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
If you have infinity's...my recommendation is to go with something better than an old school JBL. JBL makes one good amp and its a sub amp...look into something else...the new infinity 2 and 3 ways are 2 ohms...look into a rockford power 400.4...it is 200X2 @ 2 ohms...and a perfect match and not too expensive...that would give you 100 W RMS per speaker...enough to get some power out of them and not clip the amp...just keep the gain down a bit more than normal and it'll be great.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 22
Wow, Ryan you just brought something to my attention. I didn't realize the speakers were 2ohm!!! That sucks a lot b/c I just gotthe perfect(or so I thought) 2-channel MTX 75/channel RMS AT 4OHM!! Man now I have to try to send that back.

Wouldn't the 200x2 at 2 ohm mean that it is 200WRMS per channel. That would be way too much for my 75RMS speakers. Plus I think I need to look into something a little less expensive.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 23
Here is one I'm looking at: MTX Road Thunder202

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-M2MhCGIG6Tt/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=110&I=236RT202

And another: Alpine MRP-T220

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-M2MhCGIG6Tt/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=110&I=500MRPT220

I realize they aren't quite the same quality as the Rockford, but they are a lot cheaper.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 24
Also, If this is going to be my 2nd amp, is there anything special this amp needs to have so that I can hook both up at the same time(is that what a pre-amp output is?)

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
200wx2 is max...rms is 100wx2...you choices are a 2 channel amp or a weak 4 channel (sometimes bridge to 2 ohms instead of 4)...2 ohm speakers are nice because it costs less to power them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
and don't buy from crutchfield...they are the biggest rip off on the internet. It's great to do searching for but look at sounddomain.com, ebay, and shopping seach engines like bizrate.com for a reputable company.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 33
I just look on sites like crutchfield then go on ebay. I bought a 2 channel MTX Thunder 282D which is 75x2 RMS @ 4 ohm which is 140 @ 2 ohm, is this going to be overpowering my speakers?

I've seen people saying you can just turn the gains down. Is that safe to do?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 52
Absolutely... you'll actually probably risk overheating the amp if you run it with the gain all the way up. Alot of cheap amps won't last long that way (assuming the speakers can handle all of its power).

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 36
So as long as I leave the gain low on the the MTX it will be fine even though its almost double the RMS of the speakers.
I also have some leeway bc the max on the speakers is over 200W.

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
never look at max rating...if something is 10000 watts max and 100 rms...look at the 100 rating...max is for a few second burp before the the thing blows.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 37
well the MTX has an RMS at 140 compared to the speakers 75W RMS with a max at 225W(I think). Should I be okay as long as I leave the gain low?

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
powering 1 pair of infinity's isn't hard...because the speakers are 2 ohm...you can pretty go with any 2 channel amp out there because they can all pretty much do 75 watts rms to each speaker @ 2 ohms...just depends on how much you want to spend for quality...

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 38
Im worried about overpowering the speakers. I bought the MTX thinking for some reasons that the speakers ran at 2 ohm. So now I will have about 70WRMS too much power being pushed to them and I wanted to know if this was a problem.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 39
"I bought the MTX thinking for some reasons that the speakers ran at 2 ohm."

I mistyped...I thought they ran at 4 ohm. So now I have too much power going to them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
not a problem unless you need the money...just keep the gain down. It is probably better because it won't clip. As long as you get at least rms x 2 channels @ 2 ohms...that is fine.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 43
ok thanks

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 44
Also, with two amps does one of them need a preamp output(the smaller one I assume)?
I am new to car audio and I don't have all the lingo down. What is the preamp for?

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
Some amps come with pass-thru RCA's...where you can just link one amp to another...others don't so you'll need a to get a pair of y-adapters (1 female to 2 male)...The preamp signal is the signal that carries the actual sound and can be manipulated with Equalizers and it comes from the back of the headunit...if your looking to power 2 pairs, I'd personally sell your amp on ebay and get a good 4 channel...it'll save you space and be more useful if you decide to change the speakers in the future.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us