Alpine Type X or JL W7's for my system and price

Peter D S
Unregistered guest
I want to buy some subs that pound and to compete with my friends 2 12 inch JL W7 subs.

Now, I know everyone on these forums like the W7's a lot. But on ebay you can by a 12" one from a trustworthy seller for about $400 american, while you can buy the Alpine type X subs for about $250. Even though they require about the same power to power them.

Is sound quality of the JL W7's a lot better than the Alpine Type X? And what is the difference in sound? Is it worth the extra $150?

let me know what you guys think.

Also, some one who has 2 Alpine type R subs told me that he wouldn't pay the extra money for 2 Alpine type X's because the R's have better quality in his opinion and the Type X's are just loud. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 198
Yes the JL's have better quality. If you want to compete with JL, look elsewhere than alpine. They make great stuff, but not top of the line subs. If you have space, go with a 15" or two. (Resonant Engineering XXX, Adire Brahma MKII, Eclipse Ti, Etc.)...They are cheaper than 1 JL as well, but are comparable in sound quality and louder.

Johnny Jacob JHS
Unregistered guest
nah type x's are the best if you power them with a good amp like the mrd m1005 digital amp. nothing beats this setup

Bronze Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 15
Hmmm...I thought this said speaker section.You may get more responses in the right places.

Bronze Member
Username: Supraspyder420

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 49
Yeah lets not forget the IDMAX. Personaly id pick this over a W7 any day. Hits just as hard and sounds better IMO. and it only need 200 watts to hit. But if you got 1000watts then it'll sound Awsome!

Bronze Member
Username: Supraspyder420

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 50
Plus on ebay a W7 is more like $500. You can get two IDMAX's for that much money.

mr alpine
Unregistered guest
well i'll definately agree on the 13w7 being able to hit cause it does hit hard and clean but i've seen a 10 inch type x hit just as hard with 500rms and well i have a 12inch type x in my car with the alpine 1001mrd amp running it and i've hit 153.8db and it still sounds clean if you have a type x or w7 you need pro audio amps and most importantly a damn good head unit so stay away from sony, rockford, jbl, kenwood, mtx and that garbage. if you want this stuff done right it will usually cost you a little money but it's well worth it in the end
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us