REALLy crappy woofer?

Username: Markstanco

Texas

Post Number: 5
I have the Eclipse 86120.4 in my boat and took it out last night. Nothing wrong with it except it seems like bad quality. Can anybody confirm this? Probably going up to a JLA 12W6v2 or similar..

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2337
Eclipse is known for there quality. I don't recognize that series of sub though.

Texas

Post Number: 9
It must be old, it isnt on their site and I cant find a discontinued items there either.

All I can find it this picture...
[IMG]http://www.beachautosound.com/Woofers/Eclipse_86000_DVC/86000.jpg[/IMG]

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 188
Is it a marine subwoofer? Is it meant to be in the water? If its not, theres your problem.

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 12
I dont think any woofer is meant to be in the water.

It was in a VERY dry location, no way to get wet. Boat also stays in covered dry storage so it doesnt see the higher humidity rates associated with lakes.

Bronze Member
Username: Mustang_guy

Post Number: 48
what hes asking is.. is it ment to be in your boat???

Bronze Member

Texas

Post Number: 14
That is beside the point if it is a dry enviroment the speaker doesnt know the difference. There are MANY MANY MANY boats with non marine audio on the water. All work fine for years.

Back to topic... Anybody have any info on that speaker? It feels like it weighs no more than 6-8 pounds and looks to be a stamped basket.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2340
Exactly... the only difference is one can get wet, and the other can't. We have a system in our boat as well, and it isn't made for boats, and it sounds fine, and I don't really take care of it... leave it in the rain some times and uncovered.
Any ways, I have noticed that when subs are out in the open, like in a boat, bass sounds different. The lower frequencies don't sound that great. Prob has to do with lower frequencies needing to bounce, and sense theres not a cab or anything... it doesn't sound that good. Higher frequencies sound great though. Easy for it to get in you're chest!
So basically, I'm saying that it depends a lot on where you're sub is placed. Prob more like home audio... bigger spaces. If that makes any sense?

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 310
If you are using a car audio subwoofer, it will be designed to take into account the cabin gain of a vehicle. A home audio subwoofer would most likely sound better in an open enviroment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us