Thump Thump When you Turn Amp Up

Username: Jmeagank

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 1
I'm a chick so I don't know all the details but I know what's going on. I had this system in my Cavalier before it was totalled. It is a Kenwood KDC 422 CD Player hooked to a 800 Watt Lanzar amp with 2 12" MTX Speakers. The only different setup would be that in the Cavalier there were 4 additional speakers, one pair in the dash, one pair in the panel under the back glass. I now drive a 2000 Camaro that had the monsoon radio in it. It has 2 front door speakers, 2 back seat speakers, and 2 rear hatch speakers. It sounded great, but I wanted my 12s hooked back up... This became a difficult task to get a box built right and after all that, somethings still wrong. The amps power has to stay pretty low which means we hardly get any kick out of the 12s at all. The reason we have to keep it low is because we we get a monotonus "thump thump thump..." after the amps get more power. The car doesn't even have to be running. I have gotten several suggestions but no one knows what is causing the problem. I have heard it is either the RCA cable, the ground wire, or the amp. Everything is hooked up exactly like it was in my Cavalier before it was totalled and it kicked something hot in that car. It thumped so good, other than the trunk about to rattle off sometimes it was hot. Now, in my Camaro, the hatchback don't rattle at all, we are just having some technical difficulties. As far as we knew, nothing was damaged is the accident, everything worked fine. The car was still thumping as emergency crews arrived, and then later as they cranked the car in the junk yard. Even though the car was torn up, the stereo system made it. It was all bolted down. SO anyway - Can some of you brilliant guys help me figure out why I can't turn the amp up unless I want to hear a really loud "thump thump..." Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 768
Nice...you had the system cranked at the junk yard.

"The amps power has to stay pretty low which means we hardly get any kick out of the 12s at all. The reason we have to keep it low is because we we get a monotonus "thump thump thump..."

The amps power? Do you mean the gain? The gain should be properly set to match the headunit's power...not necessarily a thing to be messed with, though I would guess the 'thump' is a wiring problem...

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 2
OKAY - there is NO need to be rude. I don't think anything I have is junk, a lot of money was forked out for it all, even though it is a few years old now. I paid for everything BRAND NEW, like most people, but I was told nothing was damaged, it was supposed to work fine. I was simply asking if anybody thought maybe the equipment was damaged in the accident. And I told you I didn't know the details so NO I don't know exactly what it is called, but if you know what you're talking about then YOU should know what I mean. I was told that MAYBE it was a wiring problem, so if I have another opinion on that, I know closer about where to start. Do you have any suggestions about what wire you think it might be?
By the way, all of the wires were bought brand new for my new car - we didn't strip the wrecked car's wires...go ahead and say something smart... =)

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 520
meagen...he wasnt being rude...we never be rude on this forum...only if ppl start typin cus words.
But cause im nice, it could be caused by the accident, could be wiring.
have a shop look at it

Bronze Member
Username: Big_oso

Post Number: 71
meagen you shouldnt be so condiscending to the people your trying to ask help from with posts like that you wonder why no ones going to answer they'll just tell you to take it to someone who cares

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 814
I was seriously not trying to be rude, Meagan. I just thought it was funny that you had it turned up at the junk yard, I was in no way implying that it was junk.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 660
check to see if you have the subs wired properly. Im not sure as to what your problem is exactly but it kinda sounds like they may be out of phase. I'm assuming the wire inside the box has remained the same but you might have switched a wire that is going to the amp (assuming you have 2 wires).

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 661
oh yea what part of SC do you live in? I have family down there.

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 3
Okay, sorry if I took that wrong guys, you make me feel bad now. Actually, we built a new box to fit in my car so the wires to the speakers are new as well. I do think the RCA cable is older, so is that a possibility? I messed with it again this weekend and this is what happens. There is a knob that says "Level" and you can turn it to "Min" or "Max". The second switch says "Full", "Low Pass" or "High Pass." The next is "Bass Boost." And there are two more knobs. One controls the high pass and one the low pass. My level knob can't be turned up at all hardly because as you go towards max it starts going "thump thump thump..." without music or the car running or anything, only power is going to it. With the level knob turned down, the speakers don't hit that hard. The 2nd switch is on low pass, and the bass boost is off because it doesn't sound good when it's on...too much bass. Anyway, let me know if that helps y'all out a little more. And to answer your last question Avalanche, I live in Lexington County.

Bronze Member
Username: Kicker

Slave lake, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 23
have looked in the box? a speaker wire might of come off a speaker inside the box it self!

Bronze Member
Username: Kicker

Slave lake, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 24
opps did not read last message stuipid me
is ground wire and power wire the right size?

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 306
My friend had that same problem. Pre-out on his deck was out. Try hooking a discman up to it. If it still thumps, then I dunno. Just my .02. :D

Username: Dis_yo_boi_alex

Naples, Florida USA

Post Number: 10
i know how to fix this problem take a baseball bat and go in ur car and start hiting the amp as hard as you can then turn it on and it will work trust me i did it b4
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us